Amplifier heating?

fast2please

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I've recently purchased Marantz PM 6006 and Q acoustics concept20 and have them connected to my computer by optical cable.

One thing I have been wondering is, and a problem that my friend have been facing, how much space does an amplifier needs to ventilate by convection without any additional coolers? I have ordered a monitor support that is intended to case amplifier. But it has only 1.5cm of space from the wood top. So I'm a bit worried if this will overheat my amp and eventually damage in some way. I could change my order to have a bit more space, so I was wondering if I need more space - and if so, how much space will I need to keep my amp within thermal limits.

I live in S. Korea and there's not many active communities for Hi-Fi, so I figured I could use some help from you guys. I hope my intentions are well conveyed.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there - and welcome to the forum. In my opinion 1.5cm doesn't sound like enough space for ventilation. Does the amp have heat sinks on the rear. If so if the support isn't too deep it would probably ventilate ok. If not - it's difficult to say. Does the manual state the amount of room needed for ventilation? If it does I bet it would be more than 1.5 cm

good luck - tonky

TrevC

fast2please said:
Hi. I've recently purchased Marantz PM 6006 and Q acoustics concept20 and have them connected to my computer by optical cable.

One thing I have been wondering is, and a problem that my friend have been facing, how much space does an amplifier needs to ventilate by convection without any additional coolers? I have ordered a monitor support that is intended to case amplifier. But it has only 1.5cm of space from the wood top. So I'm a bit worried if this will overheat my amp and eventually damage in some way. I could change my order to have a bit more space, so I was wondering if I need more space - and if so, how much space will I need to keep my amp within thermal limits.

I live in S. Korea and there's not many active communities for Hi-Fi, so I figured I could use some help from you guys. I hope my intentions are well conveyed.

It depends how hot it gets in normal use. If it's only just warm to the touch it should be fine.

fast2please

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I guess I'll have to change my order to have a bit more space - 1cm or 2. Thankfully, front and back is open so I think heat shouldn't be a problem. Amp doesn't get hot while playing. Thank you all for your opinions.

Climate in S.Korea is a bit warmer than UK. Similar to Italy, I think.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd want at least 2cm, maybe more (ideally at least 5), depending on other factors.

The amp is designed to release heat out of the top, so the clearance above the amp is important, but ventilation will also be affected by how closed in it is overall. e.g. Will the space it's in only be open at the front, or are the sides and/or rear open too?

My monitor is on a support like this

29248%20Redmond%20Monitor%20Stand%20(30477)01.jpg

Which is very open, so the 2cm clearance I have is fine, but I'd want more clearance above the amp if it were more a closed box.

If the climate in Korea is like Japan (where I'm located), I'd want quite a bit of space for ventilation. I think the summers are almost as hot and humid as Japan but the winters are colder, so ideally I'd want to give it more space, unless you'll always have the airconditioning on when you use it in summer.

TRENDING THREADS