Amplifier for B&W 705 S2

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am expecting a pair of B&W 705 S2 speakers in a few days. In the meantime i am trying to find out what amplifiers are best combined with the 705 S2 (or CM6 S2). I am planning on listening to several amlifiers but i would like to limit the list.

My amplifier requirements are:

- have a DAC (or streamer) included.

- enough power to drive the 705 S2 to decent levels. So i think 100 Watts should be sufficient.

- available in black.

- if possible, digital volume control.

- budget is about £2000.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I thought you had the wireless LS50s, but for the B&W I'd definitely look and listen to a Rotel.

This is their biggest, and I believe a slightly less expensive model, with less power is due soon. Not sure exactly what you mean by digital volume control, but it is very powerful and has a very good DAC.

http://rotel.com/en-gb/product/ra-1592

I had the LS50W, but from time to time i like to try something new.
wink_smile.png

The LS50W are still one the best audio bargains ever imo.

The Rotel RA-1592 (or RA-1572) is on my shortlist. Thanks.

By digital volume control i mean that the volume on the amplifier is not controlled by a potmeter. I don't like the not-so-good-linear behaviour of potmeters at lower volume settings.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Could the new Naim Uniti Atom be a good combination with the B&W 705 S2? I know it has only 40 Watts of amplification, but for the rest it has all i need.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC said:
Could the new Naim Uniti Atom be a good combination with the B&W 705 S2? I know it has only 40 Watts of amplification, but for the rest it has all i need.

I can only talk in general - so - These are good speakers, which I think are worth around 1700 GBP...so if I'm right, you should be spending about the same on an amp. B&Ws often need powerful amps to come alive and control the bass, so I'm not sure the Atom would be a good choice.

I too would be looking at Rotel and Hegel.

CnoEvil said:
ErwinC said:

I can only talk in general - so - These are good speakers, which I think are worth around 1700 GBP...so if I'm right, you should be spending about the same on an amp. B&Ws often need powerful amps to come alive and control the bass, so I'm not sure the Atom would be a good choice.

I too would be looking at Rotel and Hegel.

I was going to say the Rotel RA1572 but notice it has been mentioned before.

gasolin

ErwinC said:
gasolin said:
Mabye hegel H90/160

Thanks. Do you know if there is a lot of difference between the H90 and the Rost?

No idea, you should only chose the bigger one if you think it sounds better, not because of the power since the diffrence is no more than 1 db.

You could also have gotten the cm6 s2 (a bit cheaper than the 705) did you listen to them?

I guess you would audition the hegel amps if possibel.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:
You could also have gotten the cm6 s2 (a bit cheaper than the 705) did you listen to them?

Yes, i compared them with the CM5 S2 and the 705 S2 was better in all areas. The 705 was more open, had a much bigger soundstage, had a better midrange and a better controlled bass. A clearly better speaker imo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want to blow the budget out of the window, look at the Classe Sigma 2200i......job done for the rest of your life. *music2* *diablo*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
If you want to blow the budget out of the window, look at the Classe Sigma 2200i......job done for the rest of your life. *music2* *diablo*

Very, very nice.

...and very, very modern, flexible and versatile. https://www.stereophile.com/content/class%C3%A9-sigma-2200i-integrated-amplifier

and https://hometheaterreview.com/classe-sigma-2200i-stereo-integrated-amplifier-reviewed/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC said:
CnoEvil said:

Ok, that will be the first one to try. I can buy the Classe new for a very good price. Still more than 2000 though.

Good job. Please report back, as I just have that feeling........*yahoo*

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Ok, that will be the first one to try. I can buy the Classe new for a very good price. Still more than 2000 though.
cry_smile.png

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I already tested the Classe at home a few months ago but returned it because i could not get the dlna streaming working. The touchscreen looks a bit dated and not the best quality imo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC said:
CnoEvil said:

I already tested the Classe at home but returned it because i could not get the dlna streaming working. The touchscreen looks a bit dated and not the best quality imo.

*sad*

Did you get any decent sound of it?

HDMI/Decent EQ/Streaming (if you can get it to work), should make for an attractive package.

Did you hear it at the dealer (with B&W speakers?) before you brought it out for a home dem....if so, how did it sound there?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ErwinC said:
CnoEvil said:

I already tested the Classe at home but returned it because i could not get the dlna streaming working. The touchscreen looks a bit dated and not the best quality imo.

*sad*

Did you get any decent sound of it?

HDMI/Decent EQ/Streaming (if you can get it to work), should make for an attractive package.

Did you hear it at the dealer (with B&W speakers?) before you brought it out for a home dem....if so, how did it sound there?

I did not have a decent cd player or long digital interconnect (for connecting my spare yamaha cd-n500 digitally) for testing the Classe since i planned to test the streaming part. So i only tested my cd-n500 connected with a long cheap interconnect. The result was, as expected, disappointing.

I only tested at home with a pair of Dynaudio Excite X12.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ErwinC said:
I did not have a decent cd player or long digital interconnect (for connecting my spare yamaha cd-n500 digitally) for testing the Classe since i planned to test the streaming part. So i only tested my cd-n500 connected with a long cheap interconnect. The result was, as expected, disappointing.

I haven't heard it, but if the 2 reviews I linked to are anything to go by, it should be excellent....and it should go with B&W very well indeed.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ErwinC said:

I haven't heard it, but if the 2 reviews I linked to are anything to go by, it should be excellent....and it should go with B&W very well indeed.

I will let you know after i tested it.
wink_smile.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts