Ampli Rotel RA-1592 vs Rotel RA-1572

luca123

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I wanted to ask if anyone has listened to the Rotel top amplifiers: the RA-1592 and RA-1572.

Between the two there is a difference of about 400 pounds and 80 watts of power, but it is not clear to me at the qualitative level (detail, timbre, soundstage) what changes.

At the moment I have an old Arcam FMJ A32 (2002 model) of "only" 100 Watts per channel, but for my needs it sounds very strong and has much more power then what I need.

From a qualitative point of view of my Arcam A32 it sounds good for me, detailed and it is balanced but now after 10 years of use I think it's time to change it to something better.

Following some forums, they say that the declared power of the Rotels is too optimistic and the 120 Watt-channel declared of the RA-1572 are really much less.

What Hifi is just 3 stars at the Rotel RA-1572.

I would like to understand if it is a good choice upgrage my Arcam FMJ A32 with the new Rotel RA-1572 or not.

Thank you all

Gray

You say your Arcam is good for you, detailed and balanced. Sounds like you're happy with it. But you've got more power than you need? (Some would argue, that's a good problem to have).

My advice would be to get a listen to a few different amps to see how they compare to yours before deciding that you need a change.

rainsoothe

Hi. I owned the RA 1520 and was just ok with it (but felt the need to upgrade pretty soon) and heard the RA 1592, which was unimpressive and pretty dull to me. I'd suggest stick with Arcam (A39 or A49) or try Naim (which, imo, is sort of in the same camp as Rotel, but much better everything - timbre, dynamics etc and, most importantly, amazing rhythmically). Of course it depends on the rest of your system, room, preferences etc, but don't go by specs alone - just audition stuff, and take your time. This is what some people here advised me, I ignored it, and ended up losing money in the process. Learning stuff, but costly :)

p.s.: if you find Naim too expensive, you can try the SH market, since they have great resale value, and you'll end up losing little to no money. I would take the Naim entry level amp over any Rotel anytime. Arcam too, for that matter.

luca123

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi rainsoothe,

Thank you for your response. Naim it is too expensive for me.

I have asked to some seller and they tell me the Rotel RA-1592 is better then Arcam A39 , but when I ask to forum it seem the inverse.

Gray you have right.

Before listen I like to undestand what are the best candidates becouse I don't know when I will the possibility to listen.

The Rotel have the DAC and USB input to play USB disk, so I can sell my Marantz Pear Lite SACD and Arcam and with Rotel I can keep only one device that replace all and save money and space.

But if the new Arcam or my A32 is better I will not take it in consideration and I will consider the new Arcam directly.

Gray

As you have found, one person will tell you amp A is better than amp B, someone else will say that B is better than A. It can be very confusing but only you can decide which sounds better for you.

You need to be sure exactly what you want. Then say what speakers you are using. Will you be keeping them? What size room have you got? Must the amp have an internal DAC and USB input? Could you use an external DAC? How much (total) money do you want to spend?

What sort of sound do you prefer? (You've already got a detailed and balanced sound and you like what you've got (that's why I wonder if a change will benefit you)

Once you answer those questions, there will be many suggestions for candidates for you to listen to when you go shopping. (People here are very good at spending other people's money for them)

Don't just think that because your amp is 10 years old it needs to be changed. Mine's 16 years old, I wouldn't change just for the sake of it.

luca123

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gray,

Probably you are suggest me for the right way.

For the moment I will try to listen some new amp and I will decide myself if it the moment to change or not.

Thank you !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts