Amp to Speaker connection. LF/HF

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello.

Let me apologize for my ignorance in advance.

The scenario.

I was previously connecting my amp to the HF connectors of my speakers, although I now see that the figure in the manual shows to connect to the LF.

Then, a few days ago, my left speaker started sounding faint and distant. Like a loose jack on your iPod/Discman etc.

However, when I use the LF conneors on the left speaker, it still works.

Q1: Does it make a difference if I use the LF connectors on my left speaker and the HF connector on my right speaker, if i'm not bi-amping?

Q2: should I use the LF connectors on both the left and right speakers?

Thank you, thank you.

cjackson

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
sounds to me like it's all bi-wired... your LF needs to go toyour LF output on your amp the same to the HF.

igf you just connect your LF, you will get a sound but it will be very deep and not very loud! as it's for Bass

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Unless you are biwiring, you will need the shorting links between the speaker terminals (black to black, red to red), or you will only be hearing either the bass or the treble! Use a short length of wire if you don't have the links... To biwire, run two lengths of cable, one to the HF, one to the LF, and connect them to the same amp outputs- if you do this you do not need the shorting links!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
cjackson:
sounds to me like it's all bi-wired... your LF needs to go toyour LF output on your amp the same to the HF.

igf you just connect your LF, you will get a sound but it will be very deep and not very loud! as it's for Bass

I've yet to come across a hifi amp with separate LF/HF outputs...

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Dougal1331:It doesn't matter whether you connect to HF or LF terminals as long as the links are in place!

Hi Dougal,

Thanks for your reply and I see you're a fellow B&W owner.

I have the DM 601S.

What do you mean by links?

Do you mean the cables? I think it doesn't matter either if i connect to HF or LF, because the B7W manual itself says the following:

CONNECTIONS
(figures 4 & 5)
All connections should be made with the
equipment switched off.
There are 2 pairs of terminals at the back of
the speaker which permit bi-wiring if desired.
On delivery, the separate pairs are connected
together with high-quality links for use with a
single 2-core cable. For single cable connectio
leave the links in place and use either pair of
terminals on the speaker (figure 4).
Ensure the positive terminal on the speaker
(marked + and coloured red) is connected to
the positive output terminal of the amplifier
and negative (marked - and coloured black) to negative. Incorrect connection can result in
poor imaging and loss of bass.
To bi-wire, remove the links by loosening the
terminal caps and use a separate 2-core cabl
from the amplifier to each pair of terminals.
This can improve the resolution of low-level
detail. Observe the correct polarity as before.
When bi-wiring, incorrect connection can also
impair the frequency response (figure 5).

They then put up the following picture:

2a0110k.jpg
" mce_src="
2a0110k.jpg
">
2a0110k.jpg

So I take it, that it's ok if I have my left speaker connectoed to LF and the right speaker to HF?

Of course, red and black are in the correct posts / places.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Yeh that should work fine- the metal links between the terminals effectively turn it into a single pair of terminals, so having one wired to LF and the other to HF will make no difference, theoretically...

If you still have problems, then something may be loose- check that all the terminals are tight to ensure a good connection.

By 'links', I mean the metal plates between the terminals (as pictured in the diagrams), not the cable itself.

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Dougal1331:
Yeh that should work fine- the metal links between the terminals effectively turn it into a single pair of terminals, so having one wired to LF and the other to HF will make no difference, theoretically...

If you still have problems, then something may be loose- check that all the terminals are tight to ensure a good connection.

By 'links', I mean the metal plates between the terminals (as pictured in the diagrams), not the cable itself.

OK.

But I use Banana plugs.

Would that make a difference?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
No, not at all. The link plates are held in place under the screw-down terminals, once they are in place, your method of connection makes no difference.

Banana plugs are simply an alternative to screwing bare wire straight into the terminals, they do not 'change' anything. But do check the cable/banana plug connections periodically- especially if they're screw-on ones rather than soldered, as they can work loose over time.

If you still get problems then maybe your speakers or even your amp need looking at...

A

Anonymous

hey, i just got a pair of aviano 6, and i just cant seem to get enough bass with the bridge between the LF and HF connected...

my amp is a denon AVR770SD, and im not sure if connecting LF to amp LF means the same as connecting both the left and right LF terminals to the subwoofer terminal of the amp.

please help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts