Amp to replace Technics SU-V1X?

pd44

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

My 35 year old Technics integrated amp SU-V1X (40 watts/channel into 8Ω) is probably past it's best, although still pretty good.

I read reviews and have tried some amps that are available here where I live.

First I tried Rega Elicit-R (105 watts/channel into 8Ω) but the treble really hurt my ears, not quite sure why. Too many hard surfaces maybe.

I also tried a Hegel H95 (75 watts/channel into 8Ω), really nice, but also hurt my ears.

I realised that these two amps were more detailed, cleaner & brighter, than the Technics, but due to my old damaged ears, they're not worth the pain.

I can get hold of a Marantz PM8006, and wondered if its sound might be a bit nearer to the Technics', a bit kinder on my ears ?

I have Wharfedale Heritage Linton speakers

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Marantz are said to sacrifice a small bit of detail for a bit of warmth. I like the marantz sound. I'd doubt you'd need to go for the 8006 to get a good model, the pm6007 or even 6006 or 6005 should be nice models at a lower cost

Reactions: pd44

insider9

Hi,

My 35 year old Technics integrated amp SU-V1X (40 watts/channel into 8Ω) is probably past it's best, although still pretty good.

First I tried Rega Elicit-R (105 watts/channel into 8Ω) but the treble really hurt my ears, not quite sure why. Too many hard surfaces maybe.

I also tried a Hegel H95 (75 watts/channel into 8Ω), really nice, but also hurt my ears.

I realised that these two amps were more detailed, cleaner & brighter, than the Technics, but due to my old damaged ears, they're not worth the pain.

I can get hold of a Marantz PM8006, and wondered if its sound might be a bit nearer to the Technics', a bit kinder on my ears ?

Hi, I'm using a 33 year old amp and I would not upgrade it. Simply because it would cost me too much. Not to mention a different sound signature that I'd miss. Have you considered higher end gear from the same era?

manicm

Hi,

We had a SU V4X amp and it was a cracker.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Fancy seeing you after so long. How've you been?
insider 9, thanks for the comment, don't think I've ever been mentioned on a forum. How are you doing, from what I've read around here you are going some way professional into music, great stuff, I hope you get everything you want from the career path. I didn't know that the forum was back up until about two weeks ago,so with covid and browsing came across it again.

Anyway, I'll input here and there, but I'm a budget hifi type of guy, a lot of stuff is over my head. I'll enjoy it all the same. You're still the same helpful contributer I remember, so great stuff, see you on the forums 👍👍

insider9

insider 9, thanks for the comment, don't think I've ever been mentioned on a forum. How are you doing, from what I've read around here you are going some way professional into music, great stuff, I hope you get everything you want from the career path. I didn't know that the forum was back up until about two weeks ago,so with covid and browsing came across it again.

Anyway, I'll input here and there, but I'm a budget hifi type of guy, a lot of stuff is over my head. I'll enjoy it all the same. You're still the same helpful contributer I remember, so great stuff, see you on the forums 👍👍
Great to have you back! It's been a long time and in these uncertain times so good to know you're well. I've not been here myself much recently, but nice to see so many familiar faces.

Thank you for your kind words. We have a good mix of experience here everyone able to provide their own perspective. All makes it ever more interesting, with all contributions equally important.

I'm doing well after so much happening in my personal life. I've gone back to doing music full time last year and it feels great. If things go well I'm hoping to work as a mix engineer by end of the year.

Once again, good to have you back! :)

pd44

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I'm using a 33 year old amp and I would not upgrade it. Simply because it would cost me too much. Not to mention a different sound signature that I'd miss. Have you considered higher end gear from the same era?
I have, but in that everything breaks (condensers, circuit boards) and I have limited knowledge about re-furbishing or free time to learn, I'm leaning towards buying something new for the next 35 years - to take me to 90 :)

pd44

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
In that case I would try to audition the latest Rotel A11 Tribute amp and perhaps the Marantz you have mentioned...... the Marantz has tone controls. :)
Ok, they only have the A10 and A12, the latter having a lot of bells and whistles, but appears to lack tone controls .... but the A10 looks ok I guess?

Ok, they only have the A10 and A12, the latter having a lot of bells and whistles, but appears to lack tone controls .... but the A10 looks ok I guess?
I'd think the A11 would be better as again it does have tone controls within the menu settings.
If you can audition the A10 and like it then the A11 Tribute will be similar but better so it will be fairly safe to buy online if the dealer cannot get it for you.

Gray

This review from Andrew Everard also covers the CDP, but might be of interest:

Reactions: pd44 and Al ears
This review from Andrew Everard also covers the CDP, but might be of interest:
I think having tone controls available is always a good things whether or not you choose to use them. I tend not to but nowadays do rely on a Left / Right balance control a lot, one reason for my upcoming amplifier change.

Reactions: pd44 and Gray

pd44

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
I'd think the A11 would be better as again it does have tone controls within the menu settings.
If you can audition the A10 and like it then the A11 Tribute will be similar but better so it will be fairly safe to buy online if the dealer cannot get it for you.
Good advice, thanks; we can't really audition here, have to buy & "sell" back within 14 days; but I'll give that a try. Thanks again :)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts