Amp suggestions 200 Wpc minimum

insider9

Hi All, just picking your brains so please play along.

As per subject not really interested in Class D. Now the best part... cost no more than £1,000 ideally less. Second hand pre-power or integrated.

Don't have the speakers yet but heard they need a lot of clean power same as my Jamo Concert. So 200 Wpc into 8 ohm or more. Don't need less as got 120Wpc already and looking for a difference doubling the power would make.

Sonically it need to be musical first and foremost. Can it be done at that budget?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
CnoEvil said:
Musical Fidelity M6i
Ok, thanks Cno. Added to the list. Any ideas other than Musical Fidelity?

What is in your list - as atm, I'm struggling (with your criteria), to come up with more.

FWIW. I like amps that keep doubling their power down to 2 Ohms (which can be more important than outright power) - which is why Electro, Luxman and Accuphase sound more powerful than they look.

insider9

I've never looked at that level with intention of buying so numbers mean little to me. When the guy wrote to me to bring an amp for when I go an pick up the speakers and said it's better 200W or more... I though ok and here's me thinking to pair them with 50W Naim Nait 5i-2 I have spare :)

There's absolutely no info on the speakers on the internet and doubt anyone here would've heard them. They are Red Rose Classic.

I'm going to take my Roksan L3 and hope it does them justice in the meantime.

For now list is short the two above Musical Fidelity amps...

gasolin

insider9 said:
gasolin said:
Thanks Gasolin.

Both are 150W per channel continuos. I already have 120W per channel continuos so wouldn't spend money to up it by only 30W.

Need 200 W per channel continuos from what I've been told.

Looked at Musical Fidelity A5 which look good.

There is less than 3 db difference between 120watt and 200watt and as you might know nad watt's sound much bigger ;-)

insider9

It's not about volume. It's how the amp controls the speaker. Especially transients. I was expecting my 120W Roksan to be absolutely fine but from what I've heard it may not be.

For instance Nait at 50Wpc struggles to drive my Jamo speakers. 120W Roksan is absolutely fine. Not a big difference in watts but all the difference in the world. Naim gets uncomfortable rather quickly, does well at low volume but get to reasonable volume and it just doesn't have enough juice. You can hear it's uncomfortable. Driving EPOS with Nait to crazy volumes though wasn't an issue.

gasolin

CnoEvil said:
gasolin said:
CnoEvil said:
Musical Fidelity M6i

You can get one for max 1000£?

That's the only one i could find http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162689739880?clk_rvr_id=1322785401349&rmvSB=true

The current model is the M6si - so I would expect that the M6i should be available at that money.

i don't think so M5si cost 1999$ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222655547822?clk_rvr_id=1322828601942&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132326565683?clk_rvr_id=1322490285031&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152721038505?clk_rvr_id=1322500283413&rmvSB=true

A m6si cost about 2500$

insider9

What was it regarding my expectations that you struggle with please?

Is it the Class D thing? Were you going to suggest Nord? I've never heard one but till now Class D weren't my cup of tea.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

Is it the Class D thing? Were you going to suggest Nord? I've never heard one but till now Class D weren't my cup of tea.

No class D

200W min

1000 Pound budget

When mixed together, I'm drawing a blank (it looks like my suggestion goes outside budget)....unless you go for one of those older, powerful MF amps.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

No class D

200W min

1000 Pound budget

When mixed together, I'm drawing a blank (it looks like my suggestion goes outside budget)....unless you go for one of those older, powerful MF amps.

Ok, the budget won't stretch. Is there anything within a grand that you'd think worth looking at, high power even if just under 200W?

Got two from Gasolin already.

D

Deleted member 116933

Forget watts they mean nothing, I've heard 2 16watt audio note amps into so some snell speakers and oh man they're the loudest things I've heard or let me put it another way. It was the most live sept up I've ever heard.

Watts don't mean it will be louder in fact it's quite often the opposite and I don't how manufacturers are still able to get away with it. Look at the power supples and weather they can drive loads properly. My nap 200 is 200 watts into 4 ohm (hence its name) and can drive 2 ohm loads for long periods of time. A nap 250 is pretty much a transformer with circuit board bolted on and it's there for a reason. Transformers mean more than on paper watts. A well designed 50 watt amp can sound bigger than a 200 watt one. As mentioned NAD spring to mind in that regard.

Demo differnt options and find speakers that fit your room and then find an amp to drive them. Sometimes less is more! Don't rush into it, 1k is no drop in the ocean. Get some home demos if you can even if you have to lay a small deposit down

insider9

millennia_one said:
Forget watts they mean nothing, I've heard  2 16watt audio note amps into so some snell speakers and oh man they're the loudest things I've heard or let me put it another way. It was the most live sept up I've ever heard. 

Watts don't mean it will be louder in fact quite the opposite and I don't how manufacturers are still able to get away with it.  Look at the power supples and weather they can drive loads properly. My nap 200 is 200 watts into 4 ohm  (hence its name) and can drive 2 ohm loads for long periods of time. A nap 250 is pretty much a transformer with circuit board bolted on and it's there for a reason. Transformers mean more than on paper watts. A well designed 50 watt amp can sound bigger than a 200 watt one. As mentioned NAD spring to mind in that regard. 

Demo differnt options and find speakers that fit your room and then find an amp to drive them. Sometimes less is more! Don't rush into 1k is no drop in the ocean. 
Thanks. I generally agree but found that Nait 5i-2 struggles at reasonable volume with my speakers. It wasn't the case with others.

I don't ever listen to more than 90dB so don't need volume but need the amp to take control of speakers. Naim would be great as really enjoy the sound but the budget won't stretch.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:
i don't think so

You may be right - a quick search certainly shows it can be got from around 1250 GBP....but I feel if one rang up and bargained hard, you could get close, if using a dealer like Fanthorpes.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've never looked at that level with intention of buying so numbers mean little to me. When the guy wrote to me to bring an amp for when I go an pick up the speakers and said it's better 200W or more... I though ok and here's me thinking to pair them with 50W Naim Nait 5i-2 I have spare :)

There's absolutely no info on the speakers on the internet and doubt anyone here would've heard them. They are Red Rose Classic.

wow those Speaker's look amazing. Don't dismiss the class d as IV just got the i32 and it does have a completely different presentation then the i22. ;-)

insider9

DocG said:
Why not try a Hypex NCore amp, maybe one of Colin's (click)?

EDIT: haha, our posts crossed. That's funny!
I knew this was going to come up. I'm not against but not heard one I enjoyed. They just sound too clean and devoid of timbre (oversimplification alert). Yes lower THD but not to my liking.

If this doesn't apply to Nord I would consider it.

insider9

seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:

wow those Speaker's look amazing. Don't dismiss the class d as IV just got the i32 and it does have a completely different presentation then the i22. ;-)
Thanks! I've been hunting them down since I sold my Rosebuds. Only ever seen one pair in the UK :)

I was however hoping they wouldn't need stupid amount of power.

gasolin

insider9 said:
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

No class D

200W min

1000 Pound budget

Ok, the budget won't stretch. Is there anything within a grand that you'd think worth looking at, high power even if just under 200W?

Got two from Gasolin already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7xss_IcSg

More power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA582cvAfjA&t crazy amp, please watch the whole video and tell me you don't want one (the brand)

insider9

Nice vids Gasolin. I've nothing against NAD I've had two of their amps. They definitely tick the musical box for me. The last one being C350 although I enjoyed it had a wooly bass which I didn't like. Apart from that it was a good amp. Great even considering the price. I need to find a video like this with a Roksan KA-1 L3 and see what it can do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts