Amp suggestions 200 Wpc minimum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ok, the budget won't stretch. Is there anything within a grand that you'd think worth looking at, high power even if just under 200W?

Got two from Gasolin already.

I'll give it some thought...but nothing's jumping out.

...though, this is my thought of thing (probably totally unsuitable): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-A220-/112581429082?hash=item1a3660475a:g:jXkAAOSwxX1ZwC2L

Review: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-musical-fidelity-a-220-amplifier

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
Ok, the budget won't stretch. Is there anything within a grand that you'd think worth looking at, high power even if just under 200W?

Got two from Gasolin already.

I'll give it some thought...but nothing's jumping out.

...though, this is my thought of thing (probably totally unsuitable): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-A220-/112581429082?hash=item1a3660475a:g:jXkAAOSwxX1ZwC2L

Review: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-musical-fidelity-a-220-amplifier
What a beauty. As you say probably not suitable but would love one anyway :)

It would be so much easier had I picked up the speakers already.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

If I knew the specs of your speakers, I would have some idea if the amp would work.

My MF 35W Class A amp (35W @ 8 Ohms; 70W @ 4 Ohms; 140W @ 2 Ohms) has absolutely no problem driving my Ref 205/2s. This is because they have a Sensitivity of 90dB and Impedance that drops to 3.2 Ohms, which plays to its strengths. It has huge reserves and gives amazing Transient Response.

The review I linked to, says that 220 can handle speakers with a Sensitivity of 87dB....the only thing would be, if it needs a good service (as it will get pretty hot).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
DocG said:
Why not try a Hypex NCore amp, maybe one of Colin's (click)?

EDIT: haha, our posts crossed. That's funny!
I knew this was going to come up. I'm not against but not heard one I enjoyed. They just sound too clean and devoid of timbre (oversimplification alert). Yes lower THD but not to my liking.

If this doesn't apply to Nord I would consider it.

I think I understand where you’re coming from. A couple of years ago, I demoed B&O’s Beolab 5s. I was very impressed, but not “Whoaa!”, rather “OK, very well done.” There was something missing, but I couldn’t tell what. No such thoughts with my NCores though. It all sounds right, realistic. NCore is not ICE, I guess...

Having said that, I think you won’t like it. Since you told me so in your opening post...*yes3*

PS: Pedro2 is ditching his Nord amp *angel*

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

If I knew the specs of your speakers, I would have some idea if the amp would work.

My MF 35W Class A amp (35W @ 8 Ohms; 70W @ 4 Ohms; 140W @ 2 Ohms) has absolutely no problem driving my Ref 205/2s. This is because they have a Sensitivity of 90dB and Impedance that drops to 3.2 Ohms, which plays to its strengths. It has huge reserves and gives amazing Transient Response.

The review I linked to, says that 220 can handle speakers with a Sensitivity of 87dB....the only thing would be, if it needs a good service (as it will get pretty hot).
Good point. I don't know them myself. I had the standmouts 87 dB/ 1 W @ 1m sensitivity, 8 ohm. Easy to drive but they were near field monitors so not intended to be used with massive amps and easily driven with valves.

These are floorstanders so sensitivity should only improve. Actually found on a forum that they are supposedly 93dB/1W@1m. Also article saying they were designed to be easy to drive.

So not clue why he wrote 200W...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Good point. I don't know them myself. I had the standmouts 87 dB/ 1 W @ 1m sensitivity, 8 ohm. Easy to drive but they were near field monitors so not intended to be used with massive amps and easily driven with valves.

These are floorstanders so sensitivity should only improve. Actually found on a forum that they are supposedly 93dB/1W@1m. Also article saying they were designed to be easy to drive.

So not clue why he wrote 200W...

I would say the 220 would have no problem....and the lower the Impedance of the speakers go, the more power the Amp will deliver - the joy of a robust, high current power supply.

The amp isn't a full Class A design, but is highly biased into A.....enough to give that magic.

(Is my promotion working? *diablo* )

insider9

Having gone back to message he sent (hope he won't mind me quoting) he says the valve amp he has left "does not have the reserves to exploit their dynamic abilities so if you may to bring 200W or more output amplifier to explore this facet of performance"

Looks like I've been simply reading too much into it *pardon*

He went on to say how these with MF monoblocks were just superb. I don't doubt it for a minute.

But if I can keep Nait running them I'd be very happy and sticking Roksan with Jamos I'd have two very good systems.

It's been a stressful week and the fact I can't pick up rhe speakers for another week cntributed to this. It is a 600 mile round trip after all.

Thanks All for your advice and sorry for being daft! DocG thanks I will have to have a listen to proper Class D again but doubt I'll like it :)

Gasolin, thanks! That Proton goes on eBay watchlist along with Cno's MF and Tino's Teac. You never know when a bargain strikes.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like these speakers work well with the sort of euphany you get from an organic sounding amp.

Personally, I prefer Class D with warmer sounding speakers, like the Kef R Series - otherwise they can sound a bit sterile and leave me cold.

insider9

Best I've heard smaller Red Rose sound was Primare Class AB and AER valve amp. So definitely some warmth that Naim Nait has.

Class D didn't suit them at all. I guess the sound signature will be the same going up the range.

Edit
But yes I can see how Class D could suit warmer sounding speakers.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
to mankind if you tried the pro amps like crowns once. I would love to hear what you think of those. Most reviews on American forums are very good. But your recommendation would make it a definite buy for me, if I wanted more power.

Those pro amps are my first option. Failing which the N core amps spring to mind. May be it's possible to add a tube buffer in the loop to get the missing warmth back.

And did I mention that I bought a pre loved parasound HCA 1026 just for kicks :)

Might not need the 350w into 8 ohms in bridged mode, but a modest price of 320 pounds was irresistible :)

insider9

I have a Behringer A500 that came in with distortion on both channels. They do have a poor track record when it comes to reliability. Not tried Crown though. May be a good alternative if I need that power in the end.

gasolin

insider9 said:
I have a Behringer A500 that came in with distortion on both channels. They do have a poor track record when it comes to reliability. Not tried Crown though. May be a good alternative if I need that power in the end.

It's know that if you don't have a Behringer A500 on max gain on the amp it will distort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWj5CUl7rio

insider9

gasolin said:
insider9 said:

It's know that if you don't have a Behringer A500 on max gain on the amp it will distort https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWj5CUl7rio
I have tested it with a mic at different levels getting 5-10% THD. I'm sure I tested it at full blast controlling the volume from Yamaha but I will try it again today just to be certain. Thanks Gasolin!

Edit
This is compared to other amps which achieve max 1% and often around 0.5% THD across spectrum in my system. With only exception being sub 30-40Hz
where distortion measured is due to what's happening in the room.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Crown Macrotechs amps used to sound lovely compared to the QSC Swithcing amps at the time - when I was DJing in my former life.

Now most amps seem to be the lighweight designs class D or whatever - a Crown Mactrotech is not domestic friendly but its got that rich character that is really nice to listen to and likely cheap on the used market - they weigh a ton as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts