Amp & Speakers for 2K? Home Cinema new guy here!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, after my last topic generated so many helpful replies I thought I'd ask again, thanks for any help you can give me!

Ok - so my current setup of an old Cambridge amp and a couple of Gale monitors has reached the end of it's life (well the speakers certainly have, they 'flap' quite a bit now), and I need a replacement. As I've moved into a new house and persuaded the other half to put the TV (32inch Samsung currently, will replace with a 46 inch towards the end of the year), I need a surround system.

All I need is an amp, and speakers + cables. I've had a look at the latest WHF and I;ve seen the B&W 651 Theatre package that seems mighty fine and the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE which seem to be quite tasty. However I'm getting ahead of myself, maybe if I describe what I want anyone could provide some suggestions?

I need to hook up to:
[*]PS3
[*]Cheap Samsung upscaling DVD player (region 1 for imports)[*]Wii[*]Virgin HD box
I will use it for:
[*]General TV[*]Blu Ray & DVD films[*]Gaming (PS3 & Wii) [*]DivX files streamed from my network using the DLNA functions of my PS3[*]MP3 files (all 320KBPS ripped from my own CDs taking up space in the back room) streamed in the same way
So I think all my boxes can be ticked, but I'm not 100% sure where to go.
[*] As my PS3 currently streams my files from the network, is it worth upgrading to a pricier amp that will do the streaming itself? [*]Do any home cinema amps stream internet radio stations? I have a Roberts radio alarm that does & that sounds fantastic.[*]Will any amps upscale content fed to them over HDMI? The PS3 generally outputs 720P for most games for example.[*]Will any amps upscale an AVI /' Divx file that the amp itself goes and gets of my DLNA / Twonkymedia server setup in the house?[*]Will any amp apply it's brand of audio upscaling (or MP3 smothing etc.) to MP3s being played through the PS3?
[*]Any way of stopping girlfriends blowing speakers by turning the music up too high?Thanks so much for any help and advice you can give me, I'm wary about spending so much money on a system I hope to last me quite a few years!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Tetsugaku:
Hello everyone, after my last topic generated so many helpful replies I thought I'd ask again, thanks for any help you can give me!

Ok - so my current setup of an old Cambridge amp and a couple of Gale monitors has reached the end of it's life (well the speakers certainly have, they 'flap' quite a bit now), and I need a replacement. As I've moved into a new house and persuaded the other half to put the TV (32inch Samsung currently, will replace with a 46 inch towards the end of the year), I need a surround system.

All I need is an amp, and speakers + cables. I've had a look at the latest WHF and I;ve seen the B&W 651 Theatre package that seems mighty fine and the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE which seem to be quite tasty. However I'm getting ahead of myself, maybe if I describe what I want anyone could provide some suggestions?

I need to hook up to:
[*]PS3
[*]Cheap Samsung upscaling DVD player (region 1 for imports)[*]Wii[*]Virgin HD box
I will use it for:
[*]General TV[*]Blu Ray & DVD films[*]Gaming (PS3 & Wii) [*]DivX files streamed from my network using the DLNA functions of my PS3[*]MP3 files (all 320KBPS ripped from my own CDs taking up space in the back room) streamed in the same way
[*] As my PS3 currently streams my files from the network, is it worth upgrading to a pricier amp that will do the streaming itself? [*]Do any home cinema amps stream internet radio stations? I have a Roberts radio alarm that does & that sounds fantastic.[*]Will any amps upscale content fed to them over HDMI? The PS3 generally outputs 720P for most games for example.[*]Will any amps upscale an AVI /' Divx file that the amp itself goes and gets of my DLNA / Twonkymedia server setup in the house?[*]Will any amp apply it's brand of audio upscaling (or MP3 smothing etc.) to MP3s being played through the PS3?
[*]Any way of stopping girlfriends blowing speakers by turning the music up too high?Thanks so much for any help and advice you can give me, I'm wary about spending so much money on a system I hope to last me quite a few years!

Lots of questions!

First of all, the amp you mention (Yam 863) doesn't have a tuner in it let alone streaming capabilities. You will have to push the boat out a bit for that. Something like the Denon 3808 - available at under £1k would be ideal. And speakers wise, this seems a good deal.....

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3225

A

Anonymous

Hi there - yes I'm so sorry to dump a pile of questions in one topic - each one seemed to pile onto the next one and I didn't want to post 10 new topics - hope I haven't broken any house rules!

Thanks for the tip to the speakers - do you think I'm better off spending more money on the amp than the speakers in that case? The B&W set seems to come so very highly recomended that I barely considered any others. (+ they are local, I live not 15 miles from them and I like to buy local anything if possible).

I did have a think about that dennon - but I couldn't see ifit did any of the upscaling I wanted and I also couldn't find it for sale anywhere on the intertnet which I found hard to believe - is it about to be replaced maybe? I'm also aware of the cost of speaker stands and cabling for this project.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Tetsugaku:
Hi there - yes I'm so sorry to dump a pile of questions in one topic - each one seemed to pile onto the next one and I didn't want to post 10 new topics - hope I haven't broken any house rules!

Thanks for the tip to the speakers - do you think I'm better off spending more money on the amp than the speakers in that case? The B&W set seems to come so very highly recomended that I barely considered any others. (+ they are local, I live not 15 miles from them and I like to buy local anything if possible).

I did have a think about that dennon - but I couldn't see ifit did any of the upscaling I wanted and I also couldn't find it for sale anywhere on the intertnet which I found hard to believe - is it about to be replaced maybe? I'm also aware of the cost of speaker stands and cabling for this project.

The reason I mentioned those speakers is that the spec for the receiver you mentioned really pushes the price up, if you can get the B&W speakers and the Denon or similar under budget then great. The Denon will upscale to 1080p everything it's fed. If you have a Sevenoaks near you, you should be able to get a good deal on both the B&W speakers and the Denon receiver. Sevenoaks currently have the Denon for sale at £1199 (this is the 3808A which I think is the updated version) but if you are buying speakers from them as well, they will do you a deal and throw in some cables I would have thought.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that info - much appreciated!

I just emailed Denon and although they were very fast in getting back to me - itturns out the amp can only stream Audio, not images and video and as the PS3 can do all three it seems pointless for my needs to go for the pricier amp.

I live about 20 minutes walk from Sevenoaks, I think I'll drop in and see them this Friday and see what they can do. Do you reckon I could get the Yamaha, the B&W speakers, stands and cables for 2K?

Thanks again and if anyone else has anything to add to someone floundering in the world of confusing Home Cinema - please jump in!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Tetsugaku:
Thanks for that info - much appreciated!

I just emailed Denon and although they were very fast in getting back to me - itturns out the amp can only stream Audio, not images and video and as the PS3 can do all three it seems pointless for my needs to go for the pricier amp.

I live about 20 minutes walk from Sevenoaks, I think I'll drop in and see them this Friday and see what they can do. Do you reckon I could get the Yamaha, the B&W speakers, stands and cables for 2K?

Thanks again and if anyone else has anything to add to someone floundering in the world of confusing Home Cinema - please jump in!

If they stock Yamaha, yes I reckon they would do it for that. They are normally very flexible when you buy a whole system. I would call them and arrange a demo with one of the Denons (AVR 2809) and maybe a Pioneer as well as the Yamaha and you will be able to see for yourself which is your best bet. Also, if you are going for a cheaper amp, demo the Monitor Audio RS6av system (it's brilliant - much better than the B&W one you mentioned). This would squeeze your budget a bit but they might have an ex demo set which they could sell you with the receiver for your money.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I would suggestÿ

www.hifix.co.uk/sku.lasso?item=96ab6f29644c72f747b8b65f90bf1bdcb88413d87e696df1

as a speaker package.ÿ

These are a bargain price that would leave you with over £1300 for the amp and cables/stands. Bear in mind that what hifi have the K-17 package as a 3 star product at £2350. A few years ago the K5 package was classed as a 5 star product at approx £1750 and the are now classed as the movie range on MKsound website. I have had a K7 package since 2003 and am now upgrading to the new M7 package you won't match the price per pound value for this package. And if you girlfreind can blows theses up then she must be deaf. I think they would go well with your set up and they don't take up as much room. I originally upgraded from floor stander mission 75 something can't remember and a rel subwoofer and yamaha amp to a pioneer amp and the MK 7 package and was concerned because they were so much smaller however the pioneer / MK set up was in another league.

A

Anonymous

Tetsugaku:
[*]ÿAs my PS3 currently streams my files from the network, is it worth upgrading to a pricier amp that will do the streaming itself? [*]Do any home cinema amps stream internet radio stations? I have a Roberts radio alarm that does & that sounds fantastic.[*]Will any amps upscale content fed to them over HDMI? The PS3 generally outputs 720P for most games for example.[*]Will any amps upscale an AVI /' Divx file that the amp itself goes and gets of my DLNA / Twonkymedia server setup in the house?[*]Will any amp apply it's brand of audio upscaling (or MP3 smothing etc.) to MP3s being played through the PS3?
[*]Any way of stopping girlfriends blowing speakers by turning the music up too high?
Thanks so much for any help and advice you can give me, I'm wary about spending so much money on a system I hope to last me quite a few years!

Hi,

1. I'd say probably not.

2. I've recently upgraded my amp and have been trying this out for the first time. I have to say that for the most part I've been impressed with the sound quality and the sheer range of choices is staggering.ÿ

3. Analogue > HDMI upscaling is pretty much the norm these days. HDMI > HDMI upscaling is still pretty rare. My Yamaha Z7 does it, as does it's relative the V3900. The higher end Onkyo models do it too.

4. Some will I'm sure but I haven't seen one yet that streams and plays video as well as the PS3.ÿ

5. Not if you choose PCM out on the PS3. Possibly if you're using bitstream.

6. Most if not all amps allow you to set a volume limit and they'll also typically allow you to set a startup level (usually any level you choose or 'last').ÿ

A little while ago I picked up a second hand Onkyo NR905 for a little over £500. It should do everything you want and then some. If used isn't your thing then you can probably still pick up a new one for around £800.

You could go for a cheaper amp and add Internet Radio / audio streaming support by adding something like a Squeezebox Duet. ÿ

Or save up a bit longer and buy a Yamaha RX-V3900. This does everything you need and adds a neat video processing feature called PReP (Progressive Reprocessing) that you won't find on other brands. It'll fix problems with the video processing in the Virgin box, the PS3 (for SD stuff anyway) and your DVD player.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for all the info people - I'm going down to Sevenoaks hi fi on Saturday morning to listen to all of the bits of kit mentioned - I'll be taking a few personal blu rays and dvds with me as well :)

I'll report back when I make a decision!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts