Amp - speaker combo for refined thump a di thump.

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Being a little new to all of this, I thought I might ask before buying. I live ex-patriate and therefore only have a few days in blighty over the summer to make my choices.

Being a bit of a late 80's early 90's deep house/hip hop/trip hop casualty, I am farly predicatble in that I am looking for an amp and speakers that will produce a sound that is powerful with plenty of bass range. I also listen to a lot of blues and rock - and occaisionally classical - so also something that can be refined and delicate. I am looking for something that will allow me the deep satisfaction of a barely audible but well felt bass, whilst at the same time rendering the finger on a guitar-sting. Is this a "have your cake and eat it" situation?Are there amp-speaker combos that will do this?

Currently I am running usb from the ubiquitous Apple laptop to a Musical fidelity Dac to a Bantam Gold amp, to Wharfdale Diamonds (8.1 I think) on decent stands. The Bantam by the way, is pretty stunning, but rather quiet. My listening room is 18x40 ft, high celings and parquet wooden floor.

After reading your forums, I feel drawn to Naim.

Budget for speakers and amp - anywhere between 800 and 2000 pounds.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Pyramus

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You might consider MF M3i + Kef R300 (R500 if budget can stretch)

The R300s produce a lot of bass for their size, but you would, if possible, need to try them in your very big room.

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you CnoEvil. These seem like very interesting choices. and not anything I had previously considered.What enamours you of the MF?

I cannot try anhthing at home, as I have to pack it a suitcase and check it at the airport. This also affects the size (especially of speaker). I suppose I am looking for compact, but powerful and delicious.

Pyramus

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Roksan Kandy K2 BT + B&W 683. You can eat all the cake and the neighbours too.
grin.gif

Your room is large and bookshelf speakers will not sufice.

Recommended by fellow electronic music lover.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pyramus said:
Thank you CnoEvil. These seem like very interesting choices. and not anything I had previously considered.What enamours you of the MF?

I cannot try anhthing at home, as I have to pack it a suitcase and check it at the airport. This also affects the size (especially of speaker). I suppose I am looking for compact, but powerful and delicious.

Pyramus

IME. They have robust power supplies, so are a good choice at around your budget. If you have had a slightly bigger budget, I'd be looking at Electrocompaniet.

In a room that size, i wouldn't go smaller than the R300s.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
AVI ADM9RS + SUB would fit the bill perfectly IMO, I think they're astonishing without the sub but if youre into Hip Hop etc you may not agree :grin:

£2050 delivered in the EU or £2375 worldwide. Continue using the macbook as a source or easier still add an airport express or ATV.

http://www.avihifi.com/index.html

Bill

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You might consider MF M3i + Kef R300 (R500 if budget can stretch)

The R300s produce a lot of bass for their size, but you would, if possible, need to try them in your very big room.

Terrible suggestions. I've seen bigger transformer in CD players than in MF M3i. Weak amp.

Kef R300 for a guy that wants trip hop heavy bass in a 18x40 room?

AVI bookshelf speakers?

Thumbs up for PP, he gave some decent suggestion suited for OPs needs.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Pyramus there amp and speaker combinations that will fill your lovely room with a really good reproduction of your music for under £2000. But there are three catches:

1. Really rare in Europe

2. Old fashinoed looks

3. Large speaker size

BTW don't buy Naim if you want the best sound quality for your money.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you heard AVI bookshelf speakers? Mine are in a 15 x 27 room with a wood floor and a glass wall - no lack of bass even without the sub. So might suit the OP quite well with the sub added, just my opinion of course.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Terrible suggestions. I've seen bigger transformer in CD players than in MF M3i. Weak amp.

Kef R300 for a guy that wants trip hop heavy bass in a 18x40 room?

AVI bookshelf speakers?

Thumbs up for PP, he gave some decent suggestion suited for OPs needs.

I don't agree.....though I know that £2k in a room that size can only go so far and have already advised caution.

Amp: 76W @ 8 Ohms and 137W @ 4 Ohms ....not doubling its power as impedance halves, but not bad.

R300: The problem people have is controlling the amount of bass it produces, which is more like a small floorstander....these are very potent speakers, but as stated in my first post, I have recommended going bigger, but size on the aircraft may be an issue.

Have you heard either of these items?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@wheezy

The musical information and punch from 60Hz to 300Hz cannot be portraid well by subwoofers in such a large room for that bass dynamics demanding program. Subs are only good for monobass. You NEED multiple bass drivers (6"-10") or single large ones (12"-15") to get the real juices out of the music.

You are happy with two small bookshelf speakers in 15x27 but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be happier with two strong floorstanders filling the room well with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUOIvT9hzD8

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@CnoEvil

I'm not saying M3i doesn't sound good in its operating capabilities but in this particular case it is a weak choice. Same for the speakers.

Floorstanders or bust in 18x40.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
@wheezy

The musical information and punch from 60Hz to 300Hz cannot be portraid well by subwoofers in such a large room for that bass dynamics demanding program. Subs are only good for monobass. You NEED multiple bass drivers (6"-10") or single large ones (12"-15") to get the real juices out of the music.

You are happy with two small bookshelf speakers in 15x27 but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be happier with two strong floorstanders filling the room well with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUOIvT9hzD8

Couldnt disagree with you more Vlad, however I;m not really hear to debate the issue, I'd suggest the OP might want to consider having a listen himself if possible when in the UK, there are of course infinite other options, just my opinion.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
@CnoEvil

I'm not saying M3i doesn't sound good in its operating capabilities but in this particular case it is a weak choice. Same for the speakers.

Floorstanders or bust in 18x40.

Big powerful floorstanders and an amp man enough to control them (and fill a room that size), is likely to take a budget way in excess of £2k....then there is the problem of getting them on a plane. The R300s are the most powerful speakers of a reasonable size that I've heard. I have also heard what the little LS50s can do in a room 15ft x 22ft x 11ft.

With all the restrictions/constraints, something has to give.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No, it takes a Roksan Kandy K2 BT and a pair of B&W 683 S2.

...and if he doesn't like Roksan Amps and B&W speakers (God forbid).

I would take the MF / Kef option over the above, in any sized room (any day of the week)....but that's the nature of preference....who knows what he will like. :grin:

CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

I would take the MF / Kef option over the above, in any sized room (any day of the week)....but that's the nature of preference....who knows what he will like. :grin:

Yup, one person's rump steak is another's pedigree chum.

Full of meaty goodness. :grin:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

See the excellent recommendation Plastic Penguin made. Focal or MA floorstanders and gutsy NAD amp. Plenty of alternatives for the money.

I don't care what the OP likes. We are here to push what we like.
grin.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
See the excellent recommendation Plastic Penguin made. Focal or MA floorstanders and gutsy NAD amp. Plenty of alternatives for the money.

I don't care what the OP likes. We are here to push what we like.
grin.gif

No matter what we like, it has to conform to this:"I cannot try anhthing at home, as I have to pack it a suitcase and check it at the airport. This also affects the size (especially of speaker). I suppose I am looking for compact, but powerful and delicious."

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Damn and I was sure I'd read that wrong , PP recommending a xr3i boy racer amp , this time he is not pushing what he likes Vlad' >) btw the M3 is 600 quid these days

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts