Amp servicing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
drummerman said:
Anyway, picking up my Sony Receiver from storage this afternoon. Will insert that one instead of my cyrus stuff for an afternoon. See if that makes me want to listen to music a bit more lately. No hum from either one I must mention   :)

I think I know which one this is :) I've been listening to mine for the last 2 weeks. Granted with room correction applied but will be interesting to see once I go back to listening without and how it compares to Primare after a few weeks of listening.

Let us know how you get on.

That's the one and will do :)

insider9

Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:
Just leave it alone until a fault becomes apparent.
You wouldn't do that to a car, so why would you do it to an amp?

Is that a serious question? Really?
Perhaps not the best comparison and I'm far from an expert. Only saying that prevention is usually better. Why wait until it breaks? Servicing will probably be cheaper than repairs.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:

Perhaps not the best comparison and I'm far from an expert. Only saying that prevention is usually better. Why wait until it breaks? Servicing will probably be cheaper than repairs.

An amplifier doesn't need routine servicing. You could replace all the components that might go wrong, but chances are failure will be caused by something you haven't touched.

insider9

Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:

An amplifier doesn't need routine servicing. You could replace all the components that might go wrong, but chances are failure will be caused by something you haven't touched.
Fair enough :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:

BS. Changing electrolytics and cleaning electric contact surface, adjusting bias and DC offset is needed every 20-30 years minimum if you care for the unit.

It has nothing to do with prevention of failures (although you know it does), you don't want to hear distortion and interrupted sound, the amp overheating and multiple other issues that may exist while the amp still turns on and makes sound. Keeping your kit in top shape is what a proud and responsible owner does.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:

BS. Changing electrolytics and cleaning electric contact surface, adjusting bias and DC offset is needed every 20-30 years minimum if you care for the unit.

It has nothing to do with prevention of failures (although you know it does), you don't want to hear distortion and interrupted sound, the amp overheating and multiple other issues that may exist while the amp still turns on and makes sound. Keeping your kit in top shape is what a proud and responsible owner does.

If it has noisy contacts or distortion then it needs attention. If it sounds perfect it doesn't.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Vladimir said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:
insider9 said:
Oldphrt said:

If it has noisy contacts or distortion then it needs attention. If it sounds perfect it doesn't.
Youd be surprised how much better serviced amp may sound even though you thought everything is fine. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I simply speak from experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts