Amp recommendation under £2500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Hi rchinn

From your neighbours in Norway Hegel Music Systems new Rost amp/DAC/streamer/headphone amp is also worth a look.

An excellent match for B&W loudspeakers and thanks to Hegel's SoundEngine technology the Rost doesn't run hot.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi rchinn

From your neighbours in Norway Hegel Music Systems new Rost amp/DAC/streamer/headphone amp is also worth a look.

An excellent match for B&W loudspeakers and thanks to Hegel's SoundEngine technology the Rost doesn't run hot.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

It has no facility for turntable as far as I an aware Rick although suppose OP could get a cheap phono preamp as well for his budget.

Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi rchinn

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

It has no facility for turntable as far as I an aware Rick although suppose OP could get a cheap phono preamp as well for his budget.

Hi Al ears

Yes, the Rost doesn't have a phono stage however the OP is already using a Firebottle valve phono stage which can be plugged into one the three analogue inputs on the Rost.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
insider9 said:
The choice of highly efficient design such as Class D will be ideal for hiding away as it won't cause heat issues.

I'd agree provided the unit goes in standby automatically. IME Hypex amps have substantial power consumption (and thus heat production) when idling. I'm not sure wether this goes for all class D amps (but that wouldn't surprise me).

EDIT: my Devialet runs pretty warm in idle too, but that could be the class A part of its ADH.

Interesting. My Devialet never gets overly warm. The hottest I've seen it at is about 45C. The internal heat sensors should be pretty accurate.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would look at the Yamaha flagship amps a specially A-S 2100 / A-S 3000

both have an excellent phono stages and very good headphone stage also both amps have plenty of power to run any speaker as I am currently using Dali opticon 8s which are 4 ohm speakers .

build quality is outstanding and I would of thought would last you years also Yamaha do an A-S 801 which has more power then the A-S2100 which costs more then the A-S801 .

streaming I would use the Yamaha WXA-50 pre to Use for streaming as it takes no room up .

if it was me I would find the best pair of speakers I could find for that money and normally if funds are there I would be buying the amplifier at the same time .

because I've learned that buying a amplifier and then going home and trying it out on your own speakers that you own may give you a sound you do not like because 9/10 when you demo the amplifier in the shop they might not have your speakers to use as part of the demo so they will try better speakers that might cost more then what your own .

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
DocG said:
insider9 said:
The choice of highly efficient design such as Class D will be ideal for hiding away as it won't cause heat issues.

I'd agree provided the unit goes in standby automatically. IME Hypex amps have substantial power consumption (and thus heat production) when idling. I'm not sure wether this goes for all class D amps (but that wouldn't surprise me).

EDIT: my Devialet runs pretty warm in idle too, but that could be the class A part of its ADH.

Interesting. My Devialet never gets overly warm. The hottest I've seen it at is about 45C. The internal heat sensors should be pretty accurate.

Well, 45°C is the kind of 'pretty warm' that I mean. Not uncomfortably hot. But not cold in idle either. And thus apparently consuming power.

(crippled English of mine...)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I own a Primare i32 and im very happy with it

Just recently added the NP30 Streamer too - really nice sounding completely like night & day compared to my Rega DAC

Quality made as well - the brushed fascias and machined knobs have a really nice feel

MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi rchinn

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Al ears

Yes, the Rost doesn't have a phono stage however the OP is already using a Firebottle valve phono stage which can be plugged into one the three analogue inputs on the Rost.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

You are correct Rick, I missed that..

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
EzGGCUU.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts