Amp recommendation under £2500

rchinn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking to get a lot better definition / soundstage out of my set-up, particularly at lower volumes. Upgrading my amp appears to be the logical next step. And hopefully not to have to upgrade again. I'd like to buy an amp that will last me many, many, happy years of listening.

I run: (1) Spotify over Chromecast Audio into Chord Mojo DAC, or (2) Completely modified 1210, into Firebottle valve phone stage, into Arcam FM19 amp, running out to B&W 683 s2 speakers.

I think the amp doesn't have enough current to get the best results out of the speakers. Also given that I am streaming for large parts of the day, and the amp sits on only turned off at night, I think a Class D amp could make sense to introduce here. I'd prefer to go for an integrated amp, rather than pre&power combo or monoblocks.

The Peachtree Nova 300 looks interesting. As does the Music Fidelity m5si. Anything else to consider? I'd love to audition some, but there isn't the same wide selection here in Stockholm. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

For slightly over your budget, you may be able to find an ex-demo one, I would recommend the Parasound Halo Integrated, all the amp / DAC / 2.1 channels you'll ever need.

Yes I know its not Class D but don't see why this was specified.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
For slightly over your budget, you may be able to find an ex-demo one, I would recommend the Parasound Halo Integrated, all the amp / DAC / 2.1 channels you'll ever need.

It's not entirely clear to me either. OP, will your amp be playing music all day long? Or will it be idling through most of the day?

DocG said:
Al ears said:

It's not entirely clear to me either. OP, will your amp be playing music all day long? Or will it be idling through most of the day?

If idling I would just turn the ruddy thing off. Same with any solid-state amp, simples!

Worth looking at and hearing such as Rotel RA-1592, Denon PMA-2500NE and Marantz PM-14s1 SE, which are all well below budget. Up to 49.2amps available from the Rotel, so no lack of current there! And B&W import Rotel I think, so there may be some synergy potential too, assuming they develop their speakers with a Rotel.

Agree with the Primare suggestion, and the Parasound, though have never heard the latter.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:

If idling I would just turn the ruddy thing off. Same with any solid-state amp, simples!

That's the best option indeed.

The point I wanted to make, is that AB amps use less power when idling than class D (generally speaking).

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want a top class fantastic class D amp that will out perform almost every other class D amp then look no further than an amplifier from Nord Acoustics.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/products

If you can find anything close in build and performance to these Nord amplifiers for anywhere near the price I will eat my hat .*smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion for a Class D would be Bel Canto C5i.

Ex-dem available here: https://www.dougbradyhifi.com/sale/product/123-bel-canto-c5i-integrated-amplifier-ex-demo

NB. It uses the ICEpower module licenced from B&O, that Vladimir was talking about above.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're prepared to bust completely through your budget ceiling and get someting that will sort you for good, there's this: https://www.dougbradyhifi.com/component/hikashop/product/126-devialet-le-120-integrated-amplifier-ex-demo?Itemid=0

You know you want to. *diablo* *diablo*

rchinn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. Lots of options to check out. I have seen a lot of Primare's in SE forums here. Haven't seen so many Parasound's.

The amp is the lounge side of a big open plan lounge and kitchen (not too hard on surfaces). I stream music from wake-up, then go to work, come on and start playing again (combination of vinyl and stream). I'm also looking to hide the amp away in wall cabinet, so if it can be left on continuously that makes life easy. I thought Class D would be good for this, and for a very low noise floor, nothing coming out of the speakers when nothing is playing. If the amp has a standby mode, I'd like it to be activated by the stream source.

Doing some more research, this looks like a great amp: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170. Has anyone heard one?

rchinn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
I would also look for some new speakers to match tho

Eventually I will. But keen to get the amp in place, knowing it can drive anything, then find the speakers when I have money again.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Is there such a thing as an amp (or system) 'for life' anymore? :)

The only brands I can instantly think of that still tends to attract that sort of buyer are probably Naim and Exposure but that is more for older stuff. American 'Super Hifi' such as McIntosh and Audio Research (despite italian ownership) could probably added to it.

Perhaps really good quality Valve amplifiers fall under that category?

So, this is for tried and tested legacy stuff.

Problem is, 'Class D/G' and similar technology are still evolving. Even Hypex, probably the best example of the breed, are still improving theirs so you will be for ever asking yourself if that 'newest' model is better and whether you should upgrade ... .

insider9

Please consider size. Primare is a rather large unit and may simply not fit in a wall cabinet. The choice of highly efficient design such as Class D will be ideal for hiding away as it won't cause heat issues.

Maybe a half width unit is a better bet? Also unless you leave it always on look into having a trigger so that your streamer can switch it on and off.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
The choice of highly efficient design such as Class D will be ideal for hiding away as it won't cause heat issues.

I'd agree provided the unit goes in standby automatically. IME Hypex amps have substantial power consumption (and thus heat production) when idling. I'm not sure wether this goes for all class D amps (but that wouldn't surprise me).

EDIT: my Devialet runs pretty warm in idle too, but that could be the class A part of its ADH.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
rchinn said:
Doing some more research, this looks like a great amp: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170. Has anyone heard one?

First two attempts went up in smoke *dash1*, but I'll try a third and last time...

I heard the Lyngdorf a couple of years ago, and it sounded great.

But it was at a dealer's (so no familiar room), driving Avantgarde Duo Grosso speakers (a walk in the park for any halfdecent amplifier). I didn't compare with RoomPerfect on/off either (so I don't know what the contribution of the DSP was)...

Having said that, IMO the addition of driver/room correction (be it Dirac, DEQX, RoomPerfect or what have you) is a real bonus in 'real life' situations.

So yes, if you get a good deal, the 2170 is definitely worth considering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts