Amp for rock?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am starting to get a better understanding of the hifi mine-field, but have a couple of further questions before I buy.

First: being a bit of a rock/metal nut, which amp/speaker combination would give best depth? (At this point I should add that my significant other prefers twiddly twiddly stuff e.g. Athlete, Travis etc! and probably won't want to be drowned in base!!

Second: I've read that larger, floor standing speakers give better base/sound. Is this true? Are there any smaller speakers that match up?

So far I'm considering the Cambridge Audio Azur340A, the NAD C315BEE and the Marantz PM4001 linked up to either the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s, the Maudant-Short Avant 902is or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

nads

i would look up the NAD ladder one or two steps. and for the CD look at the new C515BEE CD Player. why well i listen most music and i am very happy with what i have decided to buy and using the CD and AMP allows the amp remote to control both. but again let your ears listen to as many combos as you can. Speakers i can not comment on.

A

Anonymous

A few weeks ago RS had the CA 340 Amp and CD Player with the CA S30 speakers for only £329. Right now if I was you check out their £650 CA deal with MS 902i Speakers. I think the best bargain out there right now is the NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM SPEAKERS SEPARATES SYSTEM SIZZLER. This only £350 from Super-fi. It will meet your needs perfectly.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nicks

I have had both the cambridge 640V2 and the 740A at home to audition. They are gutless and boring. Needless to say both went back immediately! I somehow doubt their entry level 340 improves on that but hey, you never know.

Last week, on another visit to a local dealer I've listened to the NAD 315BEE with matching new NAD cd player through NAD's own little standmount (i cant recall the model) and for the money it was very impressive. The 315 did have a slightly 'loose' bass but this should not be overstated, it really is slightly loose and it did the rest of it very well. Timing, impact and rythm ... nice. Use it with a good standmount (bookshelf) speaker and you're laughing. However, it has no pre-outs and only one set of speaker terminals so speaker choice is crucial as you cant add a sub without compromising sound quality greatly. By the way, I dont rate NAD to greatly otherwise. The 320BEE is rubbish, soft and the treble is coarse and rolled off.

Marantz, well, I have an old PM66KI sig which, ever so often, sees the light of day if I compare something. Its lovely and I honestly dont think (and I'm not the only one if you look at forums) it has been bettered in any significant degree with the latest models. BUT ... whilst I rate it highly, its not a rockers amp. Beautiful mids and highs, limited bass. Marantz tradition?

Now the best bit ... them overrated MS902i's. I bought them because they were reduced to £99.00 and I have a second system in the bedroom which I thought could have done with some new speakers. Not good!!!! After running them in for seven days non-stop they were wooly, unfocused and with a treble plateau which could clearly be heard. Look nice though. The Wharfs (9.1) is a complete waste of time unless you add a sub. It has no bass whatsoever and is a bit polite. Still better than the 902's. I have'nt heard the MA BR2's. They have decent reviews ... but so do the 902's!

I listen to all sorts of music and for me a system has to do it all in the context of how much I spend on it. I have had many many different systems over the years and kind of got a bit jaded with the hype new stuff attracts. Dont forget, mags need advertisers and reviewers have to come up with well ... new reviews. It is also beyond the practical to compare new with all old. So be a bit cynical.

OK, back to your 'dilemma'. Unless you insist on buying new (I'd go for the nads if you must) here is my choice for a rocking, good looking, powerful system:

Denon PMA 355UK amplifier - remote controlled, superb bass and attack with enough power to drive most speakers, pre-outs (you can at a later stage add a sub or power amp but I think you find you won't have to) and two sets of speaker terminals. Treble not as refined as marantz but thats about it. You should get a mint sample, boxed for around £100

Denon 685 CD player, matches the above amp and you should get a mint one for £40-50 boxed

Mordaunt Short MS10i or 20i pearl editions on decent stands. Unbelievable tight, deep bass and a lovely clarity for perhaps £25/40 in good condition. Miles ahead of the 902's and smaller too (10i).

So, for perhaps £160 you have a great system, every component is good enough to survive an upgrade or two within the rest of the system. Then top it off with some half decent interconnects and speaker cables, a secondhand pair of atacama SE24's stands (unfilled!! it works with the MS, rigid is not always best) and for a total of maybe £200 you have a system that will shake the house but also plays beautifully with the more subtle, sorry, twiddly stuff. Oh yes, forget about floorstanders unless you can afford a pair of rega's R3's. Best speakers, in my opinion, below £500. Now I've completely bored myself and have to stop mate.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You could do very well by going for either an Arcam Alpha 7 or 8 integrated amp or the NAD C320BEE integrated amp off Ebay with some B&W 601 S2/S3 or B&W 602 S2/S3 standmount speakers along with good mass-loadable speakers stands (Atacama etc)

I think for rock/metal/indie music, the Arcam/NAD amps will give you plenty of power with good midrange, smooth yet crisp treble and plenty of power for punchy yet well controlled bass.

As for a CD player, you can get very good examples of the Arcam Alpha 7, 7SE, 8 or the 8SE CD players on Ebay again or the NAD C315 CD player. If you get the Arcam CD player/amp combo, try to make sure you get a CD player with a remote as this will work the amp also.

With regards to the Arcam amps, you can then upgrade with the same Alpha 7 or 8 power amp to enable to you have one amp driving the treble and one driving the bass drivers. The B&W standmount speakers above give out plenty of bass therefore you dont have to hunt for floorstanders which usually have more bass than you need, especially for rock/metal and indie music.

If the B&W speakers arent to your taste you could go for some Acoustic Energy AE100 standmount speakers or the AE109 floorstanders, both are superb. Or you could go for Monitor Audio BE2 speakers which are very good as well.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I would go for Nad amp and Marantz cd6002 player and some B&W speakers.

If you can afford 300 quid then Rotel would be perfect. Perfect for Metallica,U2 and Acdc.

A

Anonymous

yes, floorstanders usually give better bass but they usually don't sound as fast and can sometimes not give as good a 3d soundstage as a standmounter. I would be inclined to go for a nad amp though. Contrary to one post here, i have a cambridge audio 640 and it is far from gutless but i think the 340 might be a bit lightweight. the marantz 6002 cd player would be good but if thats a bit pricey then you could go for the nad you suggest. Nad cd players combined with a nad amp should have plenty of wallop for rock but still have enough subtlety for the wife. Not sure about speakers. The B&W's will give weight but i dont like them.that's personal taste though. Maybe monitor audio bronze 2's would be good.They do everything pretty well and have good bass weight for stand mounters. Easy to drive too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]

Marantz, well, I have an old PM66KI sig which, ever so often, sees the light of day if I compare something. Its lovely and I honestly dont think (and I'm not the only one if you look at forums) it has been bettered in any significant degree with the latest models. BUT ... whilst I rate it highly, its not a rockers amp. Beautiful mids and highs, limited bass. Marantz tradition?

[/quote]

Oh man, I agree wholeheartedly. The 66KI is a great amp and I am still gutted mine broke. Funny thing is however, the store I bought it from took it back and gave me a refund. After two months of repairing the amp is up and running again, a friend of mine bought it this week and I went with him to listen to it. Suffice to say, I am pretty jealous. My PM17 is pretty good and all, but the 66KI isn't far behind, and at only a fraction of the price!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I still have a PM66SE KI, sitting broken in a cupboard... :-(

If anyone knows of a decent repairer who won't charge the earth (after all, it cost £400 over 10 years ago), I'd love to get him up and running again!

A

Anonymous

Have you never taken it into an hifi store for a check-up? Most stores I know of charge a small fee for inspecting the unit, after that they'll give you a call and give you an estimate of how much the repairing is going to cost.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nicks"]
I am starting to get a better understanding of the hifi mine-field, but have a couple of further questions before I buy.

First: being a bit of a rock/metal nut, which amp/speaker combination would give best depth? (At this point I should add that my significant other prefers twiddly twiddly stuff e.g. Athlete, Travis etc! and probably won't want to be drowned in base!!

Second: I've read that larger, floor standing speakers give better base/sound. Is this true? Are there any smaller speakers that match up?

So far I'm considering the Cambridge Audio Azur340A, the NAD C315BEE and the Marantz PM4001 linked up to either the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s, the Maudant-Short Avant 902is or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
[/quote]

Can i suggest second hand Rotel RA-03. Cracking amp and i have seen a couple on e-Bay recently for approx £250. Very good value. A friend has had one for a couple of years now and it sounds superb for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts