Seeking input for first official headphone purchase

groves69

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty much a virgin in this environment and am as familiar with the technical aspects of headphones as Sheldon Cooper is familiar with women.

I've only had one set of headphones (Sennheiser HD202) and that's about all I know.

I prefer circumaural headphones as I hate the feeling of in-ear and sweat profusely with on-ear!

My budget is around 200-250$

My main usage is for movies, games and music. I would like to use them with my modest Pioneer VSX-323-K receiver (first receiver ever) as well as use them with my iPad.

I prefer closed-back so I can listen to stuff without disturbing the wife and not hearing the kids.

Should I get Dynamic or dual-driver headphones w/single or dual crossovers (a friend suggested the latter)?

Models I have looked at so far are:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Beyerdynamics DT770

Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506

Denon AH-D1100

UltraSone HFI-580

AKG K550

Others too, but that list is at home and my memory is as solid as a goldfish.

Don't let the list fool you, it took me 3 weeks to come up with that list...been looking at and reading numerous reviews to narrow the field down. When I want something I try to do as much research as humanly possible to 1) get a better understanding of the product and 2) educate myself on some of aspects to look for.

My musical preference is more of the rock genre: Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix etc... to Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold etc...

I want a nice clean audio with just enough bass to get the blood pumping.

I also don't want the singer or other aspects to be drowned out 'cause one thing is producing more volume than another.

I am not sure about mids and highs and what not so is it best to get a balanced headphone in that regard or should I also look at getting a portable amp (I saw a couple of reviewers mention that as ways of maximizing potential)

Any input and direction you can steer me in would be greatly appreciated as I don't want my purchase to be a dud.

Cheers,

Pat

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The M50 and DT770 will meet your needs for good sound and reasonable isolation. The K550 from all I know has a weaker bass and problems fitting some people's heads and ears. The Denon could probably be described well by Quadpatch, an expert poster here. The other I'm not familiar with.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
groves69 said:
What about the Shure SRH840? It was suggested to me yesterday.

I've had the 940, 1440, and 1840 - all excellent in every way. I haven't had the 840, but if that was my budget limit, I'd buy it.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I've heard them, I thought that they were very good - studio type headphones so pretty accurate I would say and very clear.

A

Anonymous

UltraSone HFI-580 - shrill and tinny to my ears. DT770 are a nice sound but lack volume.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts