Amp for B&W 606?

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Leaning toward the B&W 606s for a small room turntable set-up, but there are so many amp options it's hard to decide. I normally listen to a mix of 50's and 60's jazz and 70's - 2000's metal and punk. Since I'm in an apartment I don't anticipate listening at super high volumes, but really want to squeeze all the richness I can out of the recordings. Peachtree's decco125 SKY caught my eye, but will that pair well with the B&Ws?
Bonus question, would anyone recommend adding a sub?

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Yep, I have Technics that I bought a few years ago. Up until now, I've been using a Yamaha 5.1 A/V receiver and some B&W M-1s, switching to 2 channels for vinyl. It actually sounds great for the volume that listen at (although when I turn it up a bit, metal loses it's fullness). That said, I know it's not an ideal set-up for records, so building a dedicated system.

but really want to squeeze all the richness I can out of the recordings.

Sub bass is the foundation of sound and with all things being equal it's better to have subwoofer/s deal with sub bass fq's. The stronger the foundations are the better fq's above will be supported.

No power, no depth. No depth, no body. No body, no soul to the sound. A subwoofer is the most important component.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA and AndyCC72

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I've recently paired a pair of 606's with an audiolab 6000a play. Really enjoying that setup. I think the bass is great on funk, electro.

I have the previous 685 S2's which were definitely bass light. I've paired them with a sub. I'd listen to the 606's first... I don't think they need a sub ( in my particular setup ).

rainsoothe

Leaning toward the B&W 606s for a small room turntable set-up, but there are so many amp options it's hard to decide. I normally listen to a mix of 50's and 60's jazz and 70's - 2000's metal and punk. Since I'm in an apartment I don't anticipate listening at super high volumes, but really want to squeeze all the richness I can out of the recordings. Peachtree's decco125 SKY caught my eye, but will that pair well with the B&Ws?
Rega Brio. Great match for B&W (imo), and more than decent integrated phonostage. Don't be fooled by it's power rating.

I'd listen to the 606's first... I don't think they need a sub

Even a system which has 800 D3's would benefit from a subwoofer :)

We recently had a client who upgraded his ATC SCM7's (which we he bought from us in 2007) to SCM40A's. We talked about subs and his view was that SCM40A's would have ample LF and wouldn't need a subwoofer. Anyway and sure enough the SCM40A's were a massive upgrade over the SCM7's and with deep and powerful LF performance.

Our client came to the store to pick up a Naim NDX 2 and he saw JL Audio's Fathom f112 v2 and Fathom f212 v2. To cut a long story short our clients system now incorporates a Fathom f212 v2. To say that he has been floored with the system now having a subwoofer would be an understatement :)

A subwoofer is the most important component.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Small rooms often have more complex bass issues especially when it comes to 'nulls' ie the speakers cancelling out their own bass. This is contrary to popular belief that small rooms always have more bass. So I would not count out adding a sub after trying without.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts