Amp downgrade ???

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking to raise some cash so considering selling my Roksan M2 amp and cd player. Having used Marantz before (PM7001 and SA7001) i'm thinking of purchasing the PM8005 (currently selling at £600 new) to replace the Roksan, initially matching it with the SA7001 which i still own.

Any opinions as to if this is a big backwards step in sound quality, or whether the difference will be fairly minimal ?

Also, how would the PM8005 pair with my B&W CM10's ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Have heard the 7001KI a few years ago and wouldn't say it was the most gutsy amp around. It was fine but not sure how it would deal with your CM10s.Remember the 7001 (standard version) was only about £350 IIRC.

If you like the Roksan presention I would be looking at the Caspan M1. As they are a few years old they are heavily discounted.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have heard the 7001KI a few years ago and wouldn't say it was the most gutsy amp around. It was fine but not sure how it would deal with your CM10s.Remember the 7001 (standard version) was only about £350 IIRC.

The OP said he'll buy a PM8005 amp and use it with an SA7001 CD player. Gutsiness (or lack of it) of the old PM7001 amp that you heard is a moot point. He isn't getting one.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

The OP said he'll buy a PM8005 amp and use it with an SA7001 CD player. Gutsiness (or lack of it) of the old PM7001 amp that you heard is a moot point. He isn't getting one.

Apologies to the OP

Given the 8005 original retail price is around £1000 and his speaers are close to £3000, I still think those speakers will need better ampliication.

I would start the downgading the speakers first, then perhaps look at the amp.

D

Deleted member 108165

I would say that the PM8005 is a cracking amp at the price, (I own its predecessor), though my experience has been limited to Marantz series amps only so take what I say with the proverbial pinch of salt. Chris is the guy who can offer more insight into the PM8005.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Coincidentally I have been thinking about going the other way and upgrading from Marantz Pearl Lite to the Caspian M2 (amongst other options), and wondering if it would justify the outlay...(in other words would the Mrs be able to notice a significant difference?!).

I don't know how the PM8005 would match sonically with CM10's as I've never heard them but I would be suprised if it wasn't gutsy enough to drive them well. The spec'd 70w output seems quite conservative on these amps.

D

Deleted member 108165

cannibal_ox77 said:
Coincidentally I have been thinking about going the other way and upgrading from Marantz Pearl Lite to the Caspian M2 (amongst other options), and wondering if it would justify the outlay...(in other words would the Mrs be able to notice a significant difference?!).

I don't know how the PM8005 would match sonically with CM10's as I've never heard them but I would be suprised if it wasn't gutsy enough to drive them well. The spec'd 70w output seems quite conservative on these amps.

Maybe you and Stevee should arrange a swap for a few weeks *smile*

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

Maybe you and Stevee should arrange a swap for a few weeks *smile*

If I hadn't moved to Madrid I'd be well up for that *mosking* Can't find a Roksan dealer here to demo one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts