Alternatives to SONOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I guess some words get through the filter.

Back on topic though,

How about a netbook with SSD? Pick a media player app of your choice that also has a remote app, such as iTunes or XBMC.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Feel like a bit of a party-pooper here, but I've never rated the Sonos that highly, SQ-wise. Superb functionality: great app, Tune-In radio and Spotify built-in, works straight out of the box etc., etc.. I'm delighted to have it but I don't think it sounds much cop, compared to either my CD player, Macbook Air (iTunes with BitPerfect) or straight out of my NAS via Audio Station. If you don't need mulit-room fucntionality, and can live with a more limited range of radio station than, say, Tune-In can provide, then I'd go for the Synology DS212j with Audio Station. You get both a NAS AND streaming capacity all in one. And it sounds brilliant too! Alternatively get the Sonos for radio and Spotify and the Synology as NAS drive and library streamer.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I should add that I've read somewhere that both Cyrus DAC XP and Metrum Acoustics Octave are said to be very sensitive to source (and jitter), so that might have something to do with the SONOS not sounding too good. It might well work far better with your DAC

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
ngibbs said:
I should add that I've read somewhere that both Cyrus DAC XP and Metrum Acoustics Octave are said to be very sensitive to source (and jitter)

I find that unlikely but, if true, I suggest you replace them with DACs that aren't. :)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think you could spend a lot of time and energy trying to find an alternative to Sonos and all you would end up with is something less useable and almost certainly not sounding any better (for the sort of budget being discussed, assuming analogue outputs used). If you have a budget system just buy a Connect/ZP90, if you have something a bit more fancy or you're susceptible to audiophile paranoia then buy a Connect + a DAC (if you don't already have one). I guarantee you won't regret it once you start using it.

I am firmly in the camp that believes that if the Sonos does suffer from a bit of jitter on it's digital output then it's way below the threshold of audibility - jitter has to be pretty horrendous to have any effect on, or be audible after passing through, a modern DAC, so it's just not an issue.

I've tried every source in my signature connected via digital into my active speakers plus the CA connected via analogue and playing the same source material (either from disc or from AIFF rip of the same) they sound exactly the same via digital, and with a negligible/possibly imagined difference with the CA via analogue - that tells me all I need to know about the differences between digital sources.

My advice after many years of allowing myself to be taken in by all the audiophile b******t and worring about all this minutia - just buy the Sonos and enjoy!

Dan

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Won't be long 'til the full Pure Jongo range is out. I'm hanging on to see how it compares. I'm using Apple TVs at the mo.

I really want Sonos, just can't bring myself to pay the money for it after using the (much cheaper) Apple stuff.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Won't be long 'til the full Pure Jongo range is out. I'm hanging on to see how it compares. I'm using Apple TVs at the mo.

I really want Sonos, just can't bring myself to pay the money for it after using the (much cheaper) Apple stuff.

It's amazing isn't it that a computer company, who are never shy about turning very large profits, can provide a streaming solution for £99. Yet others, particularly hifi companies, seem to need considerably more money. I wonder why that is? :?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have an ATV 3 just for my TV but I did one day connect it up to my Rega DAC and was streaming ALAC from my MBP to it and it sounded excellent, for £99 (well mine was £63 used) you can not beat it and I have had no problems with drop outs etc.

Think that ATV is the way to go really, cheaper than the Sonos option.

Why cant someone bring back Squeezebox Touch - I have one in my bedroom with some active speakers - it sounds great!

John Duncan

relocated said:
bigblue235 said:

It's amazing isn't it that a computer company, who are never shy about turning very large profits, can provide a streaming solution for £99. Yet others, particularly hifi companies, seem to need considerably more money. I wonder why that is? :?

They probably sell it as a loss leader so they can sell you films at fifteen quid a pop.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
relocated said:
bigblue235 said:

They probably sell it as a loss leader so they can sell you films at fifteen quid a pop.

£4.50 last time i looked

daveh75

The ATV had potential, but has become little more than a wireless dongle for ithings and makes it a failure in my book and probably why it hasn't sold in signifacant numbers ( by Apple stsndard) still has a 'hobby' status.

Its ridiculous that a streamer that's connected to the internet and running a mobile OS needs an iThing or PC running iTunes to make it useful.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
The ATV had potential, but has become little more than a wireless dongle for ithings and makes it a failure in my book and probably why it hasn't sold in signifacant numbers ( by Apple stsndard) still has a 'hobby' status. Its ridiculous that a streamer that's connected to the internet and running a mobile OS needs an iThing or PC running iTunes to make it useful.

I do agree with you - but I soley bought it for watching the odd NEW movie that I wanted to watch when i wanted to watch it - was sick of Lovefilm paying £12 montly to get rubbish I wasnt interrested in

John Duncan

stevebrock said:
John Duncan said:
relocated said:
bigblue235 said:

£4.50 last time i looked

I paid that for a rental, last film I bought was c.£15 I thought...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I wouldnt ever buy a film off itunes when you can get the Blu ray probably cheaper - I just use it to rent the odd film, if its any good I may buy the Blu Ray when it is reduced on Amazon/Play

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
relocated said:
bigblue235 said:

But you couldn't level that at the cheaper AEX.

John Duncan

relocated said:

How much profit do the great altruist Apple make per unit compared to the great rip-off hifi companies, by the way?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts