Alternatives to SONOS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I guess its all about choice, iTunes albums are sometimes more expensive than CDs, albeit inferior quality, nothing physically to handle - I guess you are paying for the convenience!

Yes Apple are very clever, I have been using Macs for over 10 years now way before the iPod, but you have to admit Apple have played an absolute blinder - we now Macs, iPads, iPhones ATV have there limitations to us hifi people, but we are a minority and Apple main target is the masses!

Even Jobs was rumoured to go home every night and listen to Vinyl because he knew it was the best source ever!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
stevebrock said:
John Duncan said:
Zero Dark Thirty - £13.99 to buy.

ok and what is your point exactly

It was that films are heading towards £15 to buy for Apple TV (as opposed to £4.50), which might support a suggestion that the £99 @TV is a loss leader to get you to spend that.

I agree the ATV is a loss leader, a very limited market I guess

John Duncan

stevebrock said:
I guess its all about choice, iTunes albums are sometimes more expensive than CDs, albeit inferior quality, nothing physically to handle - I guess you are paying for the convenience!

Yes Apple are very clever, I have been using Macs for over 10 years now way before the iPod, but you have to admit Apple have played an absolute blinder - we now Macs, iPads, iPhones ATV have there limitations to us hifi people, but we are a minority and Apple main target is the masses!

Even Jobs was rumoured to go home every night and listen to Vinyl because he knew it was the best source ever!

Of course they are. My point being that to suggest Apple are somehow 'good' and hifi companies 'bad' in their desire to fleece the public is somewhat disingenuous. Not your suggesiton btw, but relocated's.

John Duncan

stevebrock said:
John Duncan said:
stevebrock said:
John Duncan said:

It was that films are heading towards £15 to buy for Apple TV (as opposed to £4.50), which might support a suggestion that the £99 @TV is a loss leader to get you to spend that.

I'm not so sure - they'd sold 6 million of the 3rd gen ones by the end of last year as I understand it.

daveh75

John Duncan said:
stevebrock said:
John Duncan said:
stevebrock said:
John Duncan said:

I'm not so sure - they'd sold 6 million of the 3rd gen ones by the end of last year as I understand it.

According to Cook at D11 conference last week, they've sold 13 million to date, half of which have been sold in the last year.

Still poor by Apple standards though.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
relocated said:
It's amazing isn't it that a computer company, who are never shy about turning very large profits, can provide a streaming solution for £99. Yet others, particularly hifi companies, seem to need considerably more money. I wonder why that is? :?

How much profit do the great altruist Apple make per unit compared to the great rip-off hifi companies, by the way?

It is so interesting to set a scent and see who follows it.

Ok JD.

1. Where have I said this, "the great rip-off hifi companies,"? This is your observation, not mine.

2. Where do I say that Apple are "altruist"?

3. Where do I state that Apple make a profit on an ATV?

All I have done is ponder a question, out loud, about a streaming solution and cost to the consumer. I didn't even choose the cheapest Apple streaming solution either. As has been mentioned, there is a £79 AEX. Is the price of that discounted because of all the films one might buy or rent? Is, for example, the WD TV Live also sold as a loss-leader because of all the films the manufacturer will be selling or renting to an owner?

Just as a matter of interest, What is the cost of a Linn streaming solution? I believe they have content to sell as well. What about Naim?

Just to put a marker down, in case anyone is getting the wrong end of the stick. I have no love of Apple. I use Apple products that are useful to me and that I am prepared to afford. ATV because, what hifi company will provide me with a streaming solution for £99? Also an iPad Mini because when I purchased it there was nothing else to compete with it, for my purposes. I use non-Apple computers and routers.

So, not a fanboy then, just [hopefully] judicious purchases for a simple, effective, streaming solution.

I look forward to your replies, JD, I'm sure they will be illuminating. As your interventions thus far have been.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Won't be long 'til the full Pure Jongo range is out. I'm hanging on to see how it compares. I'm using Apple TVs at the mo.

I really want Sonos, just can't bring myself to pay the money for it after using the (much cheaper) Apple stuff.

It looks to do a similar job to the Apple AEX, ie is more of a wireless receiver, rather than a media player and no connectivity for external drives. I think there is still a lack of a true alternative to Sonos.

Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC might be a worthwhile experiment for those interested in a bit of DIY though.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

Careful, that gets you sued for libel.

I am not the one who was wondering out loud...

I thought that the very definition of a Hi-Fi Forum = Wondering out loud.

I thought the definition of a Hi-Fi Forum = Trying to convince everyone else that my choice in equipment is the best/only logical one; whether it be Vinyl, Tubes, Plannars, Active Speakers, Streaming, Reel to Reel or Horns.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ajani said:
CnoEvil said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

I thought the definition of a Hi-Fi Forum = Trying to convince everyone else that my choice in equipment is the best/only logical one; whether it be Vinyl, Tubes, Plannars, Active Speakers, Streaming, Reel to Reel or Horns.

That is wondering if your choice would be right for someone else....even if it's not seen as this. :shifty:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ajani said:
CnoEvil said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

That is wondering if your choice would be right for someone else....even if it's not seen as this. :shifty:

How right you are CnO. Too many people want to convert others or hope to mask certain information and choices. Shame, but just human nature I guess.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

Good to see a carefully thought out response JD. :read:

The mag and their advertisers must be so pleased you think about hifi companies like you do. Still all credit to the editorial integrity of WHFthat you are allowed to bite the hand that feeds you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't have an iPhone either. :O So I must almost be an Apple hater, if I judge myself by the warped opinions of some on here.

John Duncan

relocated said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

The mag and their advertisers must be so pleased you think about hifi companies like you do. Still all credit to the editorial integrity of WHFthat you are allowed to bite the hand that feeds you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't have an iPhone either. :O So I must almost be an Apple hater, if I judge myself by the warped opinions of some on here.

Why is WHF the hand that feeds me?

relocated said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

JD left WHF a long time ago relocated. He continues to help with forum issues for free.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ajani said:
CnoEvil said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

LOL. Is that the politically correct way to phrase what I said?

Since there is a world of difference between:

Making the occassional suggestion of a product you think might fit another user's needs

&

Using almost every opportunity available to push your own choice of product.

Too many persons on HiFi forums don't know the difference. Then they get offended when other members find them annoying and categorise them as spammers.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
relocated said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

JD left WHF a long time ago relocated. He continues to help with forum issues for free.

I wasn't aware that JD was a part of WHF ever, apart from being a mod on here.

I am not being offensive to JD. I have no control over how you see things and have never been made aware that you have THE definitive opinion on things. My mistake your eminence.

Well, obviously I won't be quiet if you say things like, "you are allowed to bite the hand that feeds you". That's pretty offensive in my opinion. I don't meddle with things usually, and almost never get involved in AVI thread arguments. But if a respected member gets unfairly abused verbally, I will put my observations forward. Sometimes it takes a third person to point out what you can't see. I've known you to be a well respected forum member, and I'm sure you'll understand my intentions.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
relocated said:
John Duncan said:
#innocentface

Why is WHF the hand that feeds me?

I don't know that it does. But I see where you are coming from. The first 'you' is specific, the second 'you' is not and refers, however clumsily, to all the beneficiaries of WHF.

I hope that has helped you and BB, as he seems to have got upset on your behalf.

I look forward to you both being just as concerned and outspoken when I get accused of 'shilling' in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts