Alternative to Q Acoustics 3020 (better bass)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
George said:
But floorstanders are basically speaker on speaker, this may not be the solution for the OP but it works for me.

I don't think it's as simple as that. If that works for you great though. The point you may be missing is that for the money you spent on both pairs you could have a pair of speakers from a level above that (e.g. MA Bronze 2). The difference would rather be significant.

OP, surely Dali or maybe Dynaudio should be cheaper in Denmark than anywhere else.

If you mean Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 then I have already tried those and Dali Sensor 3 and I still prefer the Q Acoustics, I did not intend running 2 pairs of speakers, the Q Acoustic 3020's were intended to be an upgrade from the 2020's but on listening to both pairs I decided I liked both pairs of speakers for different reasons so I decided to keep them both if my amp could run them both. Anyway I,m more than happy with the sound and the 3020's look quite neat sitting on top of the 2020's and I have absolutely no intention of getting any other speakers. If I'm looking to upgrade my system in the future it will more likely be the Marantz PM6004 amp.

I can undersunderstand why the OP likes Q Acoustic speakers, if I were him i'd be tempted to try Q Acoustic 2020i.

insider9

George said:
If you mean Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 then I have already tried those and Dali Sensor 3 and I still prefer the Q Acoustics
Like I said, as long ad you're happy it's all that matters. We all got different tastes. I didn't enjoy any of the Q Acoustics I've heard. Neither did I enjoy the recent Marantz amps. Each to their own.

D

Deleted member 108165

PMC DB1's! Either the std version, the +version, the iversion, or the Golds. They must surely be available secondhand somewhere in the EU at a good price.

insider9

DougK said:
PMC DB1's! Either the std version, the +version, the iversion, or the Golds. They must surely be available secondhand somewhere in the EU at a good price.
Haven't heard these yet but I know they're very good speakers. I doubt these would sell second-hand for less than £400 which seems to be over what op is prepared to spend.

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
Haven't heard these yet but I know they're very good speakers. I doubt these would sell second-hand for less than £400 which seems to be over what op is prepared to spend.

If he hadn't have titted around so much with so many different speakers and cables he would have had more to spend on better speakers now! *biggrin*

Absolutely no offence intended Gasolin as you're a good guy and I have no room to talk... I've upgraded my system twice and gone through four sets of speakers and three turntable since 2012. *lol* I am now at peace with my current set-up.

D

Deleted member 160668

Goddamn whf forum is annoying at moment. Still log in but can't reply to specific post...

Anyway.... in comment to PMC DB1 comments. Yes, stunning speakers, phenomenal (imo - wish I hadn't sold them), and for the OP because of the ATL transmission lines has some serious serious bass. However, for info my DB1+'s recently went for £600 2nd hand. Typical recent selling price is £5-600.

stunning speakers though.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I think Gasoline does not have much too lose by trying some Q Acoustic 2020i. If he does not like them most sellers these days have 14 day returns so the most he could lose is the return postage. I have done this a few times and has the advantage of auditioning the speakers in my own room with my own amp and directly compare with existing speakers in my own time.

D

Deleted member 108165

amormusic said:
Anyway.... in comment to PMC DB1 comments. Yes, stunning speakers, phenomenal (imo - wish I hadn't sold them), and for the OP because of the ATL transmission lines has some serious serious bass. However, for info my DB1+'s recently went for £600 2nd hand. Typical recent selling price is £5-600.

stunning speakers though.

Why did you sell them?

gasolin

insider9 said:
DougK said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292006993867?rmvSB=true

gasolin

DougK said:
insider9 said:

If he hadn't have titted around so much with so many different speakers and cables he would have had more to spend on better speakers now! *biggrin*

Absolutely no offence intended Gasolin as you're a good guy and I have no room to talk... I've upgraded my system twice and gone through four sets of speakers and three turntable since 2012. *lol* I am now at peace with my current set-up.

Last 24 years i have had 2 cd player and 3 turntables (1 turntable only a few days), im happy with my current cd player,turntable and amp, i often miss a bit more bottom, a bit more warm sound (but still neutral sound)

gasolin

George said:
I think Gasoline does not have much too lose by trying some Q Acoustic 2020i. If he does not like them most sellers these days have 14 day returns so the most he could lose is the return postage. I have done this a few times and has the advantage of auditioning the speakers in my own room with my own amp and directly compare with existing speakers in my own time.

I don't have any stands for them on my desk they are just to close to the desk (reflections) if i don't use any stands and the height from the tweeter

q-acoustics-2020i-lautsprecher-stereo-16786.jpg

71714isoacoustics2.jpg

I know i can buy these stand but that is extra money (almost 60£)

41IPn2MxZ3L._SY300_.jpg

-MTawYGvjvzjU-6WQbDnxe2bXiysZGi3U66sVvNUReMIvsxnbbNVj2bYq1ZqWCBYtQZ9=s156

gasolin

muljao said:
To OP You might be interested in avforums latest mission lx2 review

Have read the review seems to me the speakers are more intrusive has a bit more edge than the q acoustics 3020 in the high frequencys

Tonally, they’re pretty well balanced but there’s a little bit of edge through the upper mid/lower treble area that can be provoked by less than perfect recordings or aggressive-sounding partnering kit.

Don't know whey they where chosen as the best budget speaker over q acosutcis 3020, because of the bass?

Play alt-J’s Left Hand Free and the LX-2s get straight in the groove. They’re fast, pack a serious punch and deliver deep bass with precision and authority.

size and price are more than approved

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
muljao said:
To OP You might be interested in avforums latest mission lx2 review

Have read the review seems to me the speakers are more intrusive has a bit more edge than the q acoustics 3020 in the high frequencys

Tonally, they’re pretty well balanced but there’s a little bit of edge through the upper mid/lower treble area that can be provoked by less than perfect recordings or aggressive-sounding partnering kit.

Don't know whey they where chosen as the best budget speaker over q acosutcis 3020, because of the bass?

Play alt-J’s Left Hand Free and the LX-2s get straight in the groove. They’re fast, pack a serious punch and deliver deep bass with precision and authority.

size and price are more than approved

They are ugly. Saw them at RS. However I do like the Mission sound and still got a pair of M71i's.

D

Deleted member 160668

Selling them was a bit of a ballsup on my part... Was in aid of house move to liquidate cash to advance my purchase plans... Sold them and my Linn setup - Painful painful sale!! Then realised after last item had sold i'd completely messed up my maths so hadn't needed to! Doh!

Anyway recently picked up a Cyrus 6 full setup for peanuts and some MA RS6's cheap too. All ready to get set up on day 1 in new crib when move in in a few weeks time.

Not sure how it is going to sound and suspect I may end up upgrading again going forwards but will at least have some decent tunes. Can't wait :)

insider9

gasolin said:
insider9 said:
DougK said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292006993867?rmvSB=true

Thanks, I'm very happy with my speakers. If only PMC did ribbon tweeters I'd probably had a pair already :)

D

Deleted member 108165

amormusic said:
Selling them was a bit of a ballsup on my part... Was in aid of house move to liquidate cash to advance my purchase plans... Sold them and my Linn setup - Painful painful sale!! Then realised after last item had sold i'd completely messed up my maths so hadn't needed to! Doh!

Anyway recently picked up a Cyrus 6 full setup for peanuts and some MA RS6's cheap too. All ready to get set up on day 1 in new crib when move in in a few weeks time.

Not sure how it is going to sound and suspect I may end up upgrading again going forwards but will at least have some decent tunes. Can't wait :)

Aah, the old sold in haste regret a leisure scenario. I feel your pain my friend *smile* Good luck with the new abode and system.

gasolin

Tried my 2010i's with my Marantz PM8005, the sound is good, i placed them in a corner on a shelf behinde my monitors, the sound was a bit echo'is from the bass, like in a bathroom (just a bit) that's how i best atm can describe it, the corner had an effect on the bass, less precise in a corner

The treble is not as soft,refined as the 3020, it's easy to hear the treble is in a higher class than the 2010's, okay i do use the isoacoustics stand for the 3020 and as i mention alot of times they do make a big difference

2010 also has the open midrange as the 3000 that makes them so good

Price difference is not that big between the 2000 and 3000, the treble and midrange is better on the 3000 and without any doubt worth the extra money, extremly hard to beat since the frequency response is flat (my opinion), with a non bright top,midrange, i just feel it's flat like a really good studio monitor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts