Alternative to Etymotic

SteveR750

Bought a pair of HF3 on a whim at Heathrow recently, and whilst they are deeply impressive, even when sealed correctly they are a bit lacking in low down grunt. Amazingly detailed and tuneful, but the sonic balance just isn't right for me. What else should I consider? I'm using them when travelling with a Galaxy S2 and spotify premium "Extreme" quality files. I also use them to listen occasionally in bed, but use the Grado SR80 that I have when at home. I also have a pair of Beyer DT101 which deliver the bass slam, but are much more muddled sounding than the Etys or the Grados. I also had a pair of Sennheiser CX300 II which were OK for the price, but the DTs, Grados and the Etys are in a different league.

I need them to be small, and prefer In Ear rather than bulkier on ear phones.

Have considered Klipsh X10, but what about the Sony XBA range? Whate else should I consider? I cant try before I buy, so will probably be a blind (deaf?) purchase. If I could get the Grado sound in an in-ear bud then I'd happliy buy them.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to offer a 2-part question: How much maximum would you be willing to spend? And then (part 2), how much more than that to get really better sound, better fit, and all-around best quality?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
OK - someone else who knows that price range well will have to weigh in. Klipsch and Sony are known for bass, which may be good - everything else I do know about, whether Shure or Musical Fidelity or Westone won't have the bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts