Album of the week.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I thought i'd start an album of the week club for us to join in.

Every monday evening i will post up this weeks album, it could be anything and i will try and vary it as much as possible to keep it interesting.

If you like add some comments on the album by all means do, tell us what you thought of the song's, mastering or the cover design, anything you like. Tell us how you listening to it and the quality, is it on the Hi Fi, in the car, your ipod or streamed from Spotify or Napster via a PC and tell about the quality of it.

If you wanted the album of the week but it's slipped your mind then this is a good reminder to go out and it and tell us what you think!

Anyway enough of the ramble so time to start!

This weeks album is some nice English folk from Brit winner Laura Marking with her album, I speak because i can.

l_5bc32cb542aa46538a869a424944399e.jpg

Enjoy and see you next week!

A

Anonymous

Great idea, approved 120%

I'm in desperate need of something new to listen.

Will "get" it asap and listen to it with the system in my sig ;)

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Very good idea! I realy like the album, sounds particularly good on my iPhone ripped lossless via my x10s, you realy get the detail. Particularly like the first track, it's quite rare to get such energy and urgency in folk music and i realy love that! For An artist who is so young she can write a good song. The first album is amazing considering I think she was 17 when she made it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Currently listening to the Laura Marling album on Spotify Premium. ( what great value for £9.99 per month!).

I listen to Radio Paradise a lot and she is a regular on their playlist. Only up to track 3 at the moment but I'm liking what I've heard so far.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm also on Spotify Premium (but with no external DAC yet). Up to Track 3 and loving it; love her voice which comes through across the strumming guitar. Sort of reminds me of Nick Drake.

A

Anonymous

I've just read that the album has been recorded at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios... I'm expecting much in terms of SQ.

I'm wondering who did the mixing.

Tomorrow I'll give it a good listen.

A

Anonymous

thanks so much for the heads up, sounding great on the headphones. Spotify premium. iPad. This album is definitely not a victim of the loudness war, it has subtlety and the engineer has a deft touch with the mixing.

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
slight overtones of Rickie Lee Jones without the drive but on tracks 1 and 2 I

she sounds like the Borg leader in 'First Contact'!!

Sorry, not one for me but thanks for the post as I'm sure some new music posted here will grab me.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
A great album and on my playlist as an album to do things to with it playing in the background. Often listen to on my Beats by Dre in bed although it does get a bit muddled through them.

Suggestion for next time??? A must listen........

51hQfQwDqqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sorry dont know if we can suggest albums!! Sorry for invading your thread
smiley-embarassed.gif
. Such a great idea though......

The Laura Marling album is very well recorded and mastered a really good listen on hifi or ipod

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the support john1000000boy (and everyone else) and i will consider your suggestion at some point but at the moment i have a few weeks worth lined up, i wont forget though, cheers!

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Been away a while busy with work,this is a really great idea,im listening now via spotify premium>macbook>AE>Hegel H70>SA Aura 60.Im only half way in and wife gone to bed so cant have it to loud will have a better listen tomorrow,she has a great voice im liking it alot thanks!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Shooter
smiley-cool.gif

I love these threads...great to pick up on good music we might have missed...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Great idea Shooter . . . I'm enjoying Laura Marling so far . . . track 4/5 . . . wow, bit late to turn the wick up! Its really nice for me to have some suggestions where to look. Not been into (proper/good?) 'music' . . . getting on for 17 years!!! I'm listening 'Spotify basic', cheap skate . . .

Refreshing, thank you, CJSF

A

Anonymous

That was a good listen.

SQ is top notch, the guitars are alive.

I think that her voice is a bit immature but she definitely promise well.

I never though that folk music could sound this powerful, it really shocked me (in a positive way).

This said, folk is not among my favorite genres, but I found this album very well recorded and performed.

Might come back to it using it as background music while studying.

A

Anonymous

john1000000boy said:
A great album and on my playlist as an album to do things to with it playing in the background. Often listen to on my Beats by Dre in bed although it does get a bit muddled through them.

Suggestion for next time??? A must listen........

51hQfQwDqqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sorry dont know if we can suggest albums!! Sorry for invading your thread
smiley-embarassed.gif
. Such a great idea though......

The Laura Marling album is very well recorded and mastered a really good listen on hifi or ipod
agreed a must listen great choice cheers.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
donluca said:
I never though that folk music could sound this powerful, it really shocked me (in a positive way).

This said, folk is not among my favorite genres, but I found this album very well recorded and performed.

Might come back to it using it as background music while studying.

You really must listen to Mumford and Sons also. It is really powerful and emotive and an absolute belter of a record!! Try not to tap your foot or bounce your knee while studying.....

I never thought i would get into folk either but look at the last Mercury Music Awards. Both Laura Marling and Mumford and Sons featured. In saying that, i dont own any other folk records.

5115BdkBrUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not sure if it is ok to have open discussions about other records than the record of the week.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just had a listen through all the tracks from Miss Marling on iTunes, and nothing is particularly memorable for me (same problem as Mumford and Co). I wanted to like it, but would be a one-play only purchase. (failed the "old grey whistle test", so to speak and fits into the "backgound music unlikely to offend anyone" category )

I prefer the approach Noah and the Whale have taken (new album and previous are excellent - will last longer than Mumford and Mate's ramblings.

A suggestion for album of the month (if open to ideas) is The Decemberist's "The King is Dead" (like a folkier Green Day - well worth a listen).

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Just had a listen through all the tracks from Miss Marling on iTunes, and nothing is particularly memorable for me (same problem as Mumford and Co). I wanted to like it, but would be a one-play only purchase. (failed the "old grey whistle test", so to speak and fits into the "backgound music unlikely to offend anyone" category )

I prefer the approach Noah and the Whale have taken (new album and previous are excellent - will last longer than Mumford and Mate's ramblings.

A suggestion for album of the month (if open to ideas) is The Decemberist's "The King is Dead" (like a folkier Green Day - well worth a listen).
The King is Dead is very good but absolutely nothing like Green Day in any shape or form

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I think this thread would get a bit boring if it was just for people to agree that something is good. However, it prompted me to listen to Miss Marling. So I agree with above - always interested to listen to new stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts