Black Sabbath Too Heavy - Take The Challenge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

I used to be in the Jazz hater camp. Once I accepted that some of the stuff I did like and, in fact owned, was really Jazz (e.g. Path Metheny), I dabbled a bit more. Some stuff I like, some stuff I don't. True of any music genre I listen to.
Pat Metheny is great - some nicely tuneful stuff amongst his tracks (e.g. 'Sunlight' and'Facing West' )👍

Witterings

I used to be in the Jazz hater camp. Once I accepted that some of the stuff I did like and, in fact owned, was really Jazz (e.g. Path Metheny), I dabbled a bit more. Some stuff I like, some stuff I don't. True of any music genre I listen to.

I genuinely love most music and have been a musician since a young age but it's one genre I really struggle to get my head round.
Personally I think a good song has some sort of melody and is in essence what I was trying to say about the Heaven and Hell album.
I have recently been listening to some Jazz Blues where there is more of a recognisable pattern / melody and have really enjoyed it but straight forward Jazz to me is just a group of people taking it in turns to self abuse themselves in front of an audience, constantly playing one solo after another with absolutely no "tune" to it at all.
Yes, they're unbelievably talented and technically some of the best, some then take that ability and use it in rock / pop and can blow you away on a more melodic path.

Personally I prefer what I'd call musical brilliance as opposed to technical brilliance, take a track like Comfortably Numb, 1/2 the song's a guitar solo but you almost wouldn't realise it as it's done in such a subtle way and creates a melody of it's own whilst being tecnically brilliant as well.

My main instrument for years is drums but overall I'm not a fan of drum solos for the same reason, although some are OK in small doses.

I think someone summed it up when they said "Status Quo play 3 notes to 100,000 people, whilst Jazz musicians play 100,000 notes to 3 people.

Not really knocking it and appreciate some do love it but personally i'm on the same boat as Johnny ... others will say that about Black Sabbath though :)

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Reactions: DCarmi

TRENDING THREADS