AKG k72/arcam irdac 2 question

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi All.

I fancy a nice headphone dac/preamp and the Irdac 2 has been on my radar for a while. It's a little bit of a luxury purchase, but think it's a good functional hub so wont go to waste.

My questiopn is that I bought a set of AKG K72 headphones for christmas. Is it a bit of a false economy using these relatively inexpensive headphones with said dac. Would it be worthwhile for me to get better ones and if so what would you recommend (i'd be interested in closed and open backed suggestions). I don't want to spend anything :) , but would stretch to 150 pounds if people think it would be worth the spend. Thanks

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Hi All.

I fancy a nice headphone dac/preamp and the Irdac 2 has been on my radar for a while. It's a little bit of a luxury purchase, but think it's a good functional hub so wont go to waste.

My questiopn is that I bought a set of AKG K72 headphones for christmas. Is it a bit of a false economy using these relatively inexpensive headphones with said dac. Would it be worthwhile for me to get better ones and if so what would you recommend (i'd be interested in closed and open backed suggestions). I don't want to spend anything :) , but would stretch to 150 pounds if people think it would be worth the spend. Thanks

The AKG K553 I had is a superb headphone, and inexpensive.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
Hi All.

The AKG K553 I had is a superb headphone, and inexpensive.
Thanks, I'll keep these in mind. They don't seem readily available but seem from what I read to be practically identical to the k550s which are.

I think I'll just buy the Arcam and see how my own are with them. I can consider headphones later if I think my own are lacking in any way

Gray

I haven't heard the K72's muljao, but this may be of interest.

Having always been a Sennheiser fan, I bought and was impressed by the Mark 1 version of the K550.

With all the hype and for just £40 I thought I'd see what the K92's were like. Of course I did not expect them to be better and I was right. I was surprised though, at just how inferior they were in comparison to the 550 in terms of colouration. The 550's are labelled 'reference'. Compared to the 92, they are.

Of course, as others have pointed out, you can better the 550's, (at a price) and you may have seen insider 9's detailed comparison between the 550 and 712 Pro models, which was of particular interest to me.

(I started wondering if I could ever justify the 712 price!)

In case you missed it:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/headphones-etc/akg-k712-pro-review

I hope your 72's work well with the Arcam, but based on my findings I'd suspect that the 550 would be a minimum requirement for you to benefit from the Arcam's potential.

As ever though, there's no substitute for your own ears - as I confirmed when comparing K92 to 'Best Buy' reviews.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Gray said:

Having always been a Sennheiser fan, I bought and was impressed by the Mark 1 version of the K550.

With all the hype and for just £40 I thought I'd see what the K92's were like. Of course I did not expect them to be better and I was right. I was surprised though, at just how inferior they were in comparison to the 550 in terms of colouration. The 550's are labelled 'reference'. Compared to the 92, they are.

Of course, as others have pointed out, you can better the 550's, (at a price) and you may have seen insider 9's detailed comparison between the 550 and 712 Pro models, which was of particular interest to me.

In case you missed it:

I hope your 72's work well with the Arcam, but based on my findings I'd suspect that the 550 would be a minimum requirement for you to benefit from the Arcam's potential.

As ever though, there's no substitute for your own ears - as I confirmed when comparing K92 to 'Best Buy' reviews.
Thanks for the detailed post. I was thinking alright that it might be a bit much to expect to get a great set of headphones for 40 pounds.

I'll certainly have the k550s on my short list

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Gray said:

In case you missed it:

Thanks for the detailed post. I was thinking alright that it might be a bit much to expect to get a great set of headphones for 40 pounds.

I'll certainly have the k550s on my short list

A good cheap headphone, if you can get it is the Edifier H840 or H850.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts