AKG K702 in the house

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone. Just picked up a new pair of AKG K702s. [:D]

Wow, the sound is incredible. The great thing about headphones is, no room acoustics to mess up the sound. I let them play on repeat for the last 24 hours for run-in, and man the sound is impressive. Holographic sound with immaculate clarity. Deeply resolving. I'm using my benchmark DAC 1 as my headphone amp and listening to my CDP as the source. Might look into a wadia iPod dock in the future.

akg-k702-k-702-headphones-head-phones-earphones-audio.jpg

idc

Some say they take thousands of hours to burn in. IME that is not true, so what you get now is the superb sound that you will always enjoy. I have also heard they go well with the DAC1.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
IDC,

What headphones and headphone amp do you use? What do you use as a source?

Do you miss having a full system? I love the cans, but there's something different about the experience when compared to listening to speakers.

idc

Source is a Sony laptop with itunes and music streamed off Spotify. That goes to a Firestone Fubar USB DAC and to the Musical Fidelity X-CANV8P headphone amp. As for headphones, I have a few, but have settled on the AKG sound, using K702, vintage K140s and the K44s. The K44s are cheaply made but sound superb, but they are due an upgrade to the K271 or K272 depending on budget. Then I will have closed and open backed for when I am alone or the family are about.

The detail, clarity, realism in the sense of being there as it was recorded is astounding. I am happy with headphones and use them all the time due to that intimacy and again sense of being there.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree. The detail and clarity is stunning. Drop dead gorgeous sound from these things. I have a buddy with a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 (with a custom balanced XLR cable) and I'd say these AKG K702s give them a real run for their money for less than 1/5 the outlay.
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah I love mine, they really do improve a bit bass-wise with burn-in, as they sound slightly lacking out of the box, I'm finding they pair very nicely with my firestone little country 3.

A

Anonymous

I have the K701s and have found that they pair very nicely with the little country 3 amp too. I found that they gained even more when I upgraded the tubes in the Little country. Now running some 1960s amperex bugle boys and the difference from the standard tubes is night and day more refined mid range and tighter more accurate bass.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
The more I listen to these, the more I'm blown away. I adore these headphones. Yes, I can see how some people might think they are light in the bass department, but I don't miss that at all. These are the most detailed cyrstal clear window into music I've ever heard including $100k hifi rigs I've heard at audio shows. I've heard lots of speakers with uber detail, but they frequently give me a headache after about 20 minutes. They have detail, but it's a tipped up treble providing it. These headphones provide detail the old fashioned way, zero distortion. Deep black background with a non existent noise floor. No, these are not going to replace my full blown setup, because there's just something special about speakers that headphones can't deliver, but these headphones are now in regular rotation. Really having a good time with these.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts