AKG K702 / K550 MK2 + Denon DA-300USB / Audioquest Dragonfly

nicolaas

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum so please be understandable.

I am looking to buy a new headphones setup (headphones + DAC). I listen to various music mostly electronic, indie, jazz and hip-hop. However I aiming to get best sound more in genres like indie and jazz rather then electronic and hip-hop. Basicly I would like to In the Air by Phil Collins to sound as good as it is possible! I play FLAC through Foobar and recently I've signed up for HiFI Tidal trial.

I've demoed AKG K550 MK2 & Grado SR80e and liked k550 sound more than SR80e but SR80e soundstage seemed much more engaging and enjoyable. This get me thinking about buying AKG K702 since they supose to sound more like K550 and are open-back ( unfortunatly I havn't demoed them). Do you think K702 will suit music I listen to?

Additonaly, I am looking to buy a DAC since currently I am using built-in sound card on my laptop. I was thinking of buying Dragonfly ( v 1.2 or forthcoming RED version) after reading WHAT HI-FI review. I don't like that Dragonfly basicly allows to play music through laptop USB port so I sterted to look for more future-proofed DAC that could, in the future, become a part of my hi-fi setup. I was thinking about NAD 1050 but it is way over my budget at this moment so Denon DA-300USB came to my mind. It is possible to buy it now for 170 pounds which is around the same price as Dragonyfly. My only worry is if Denon will have enough power to properly amplyfi AKG K702 since they are 62 Ohm.

Do you think AKG K702 + Denon DA-300USB are good setup for me?

My budget for headphones + DAC is 300 pounds.

Regards,
Nicolaas

nicolaas said:
Denon DA-300USB are good setup for me?

Regards,Nicolaas

Hi there and welcome. To be honest, I've not hears the 702 but dalethorn will give you some advice. However, the Denon DAC I have had and found it to be really bland and quite underpowered for headphone listening. It's output really is quite puny.

I've found better with my SMSL M6 32-bit DAC amp and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s. I've also bought some AKG553s from Massdrop (which Dale really likes), however, they're stuck in the USA somewhere at the minute!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Geddy Lee said:
nicolaas said:
Denon DA-300USB are good setup for me?

Regards,Nicolaas

Hi there and welcome. To be honest, I've not hears the 702 but dalethorn will give you some advice. However, the Denon DAC I have had and found it to be really bland and quite underpowered for headphone listening. It's output really is quite puny.

I've found better with my SMSL M6 32-bit DAC amp and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s. I've also bought some AKG553s from Massdrop (which Dale really likes), however, they're stuck in the USA somewhere at the minute!

The K553 is remarkable for soundstage, neutrality with good bass, and low price. Quite a good deal. But I would expect the 702 to be very different - it's open back, yes? I had just the K712, which is also a good neutral headphone. I think the 553 and possibly the 702 or similar open back model would make a good open and closed combo, so you'd have both at-home and portable use covered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts