AKG K550 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50X

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm after a new set of closed over ear headphones around the £100 mark, and these two have come up in my searches.

Anyone had a listen to either/both and care to give me an opinion? Or would consider others if at the same kind of price?

Thanks,

Andy

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I've not heard the x update of the M50, but I'd take the Audio Technica. Much better balanced. The AKG sounded smoother and more refined, but seriously lacking in bass. Quite a thin sound overall. I liked them, but felt I would only ever be able to enjoy them with certain music, and not the majority of the music I listen to.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
My personal feeling is that the Audio Technica have an over-emphasised bass.

I tested them recently against Beyer DT770 Pro (250 Ohm), Shure SR940. I ended up with the Shures which are excellent and clean/ neutral / open sounding.

I would recommend testing the Beyer and maybe the Shure SR840 in your price bracket (assuming you are only after closed back).

The K550 I haven't tested, but by most accounts is also pretty neutral.

You should definitely test them out for yourself though.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

The recommendations I see here are way out of line with your request, either by sound or by price. Basically your list is a decent headphone that's generally uncolored with a very lean bass (K550) versus a very popular headphone with slight colorations and an excellent bass** (M50 series). They are very different and you need to establish where your preferences are on the sound curve, or just be able to conveniently return what you don't like.

**The M50 bass is most unusual in this business - it's not bloated, boomy, or heavy especially, but it does continue strongly to the lowest registers (~27.5 hz, or "Low A"), which makes some users feel that it's emphasized.

The Shure SRH-940 is the next best thing to the $1500 Sennheiser HD800 in sound, albeit nowhere near the build quality, and lacking some upper harmonic detail. But -- it's a very controversial sound, and many reviewers who praise the HD800's technical merits will not use it for music listening.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Dale is right here, as always. A cheaper alternative would be the original M50 at just over £100 rather than £150. Very neutral, studio headphones but very very good.

David Palmar

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Andy,

I own a an assortment of excellent headphones (Hifiman HE500, AKG K550, ATH M50, UE6000, Q700) and have experience with the M50 (not the X version) and K550. They are both good headphones but I think the K550 is better. Firstly, the soundstage is probably the largest I've heard on a closed headphone, and when used with a decent DAC it is very detailed. The mid-range is also a delight! Compared to the M50, (I know the M50X may be improved) it is much more balanced and musical. The K550 bass is present and is nicely proportioned and I don't personally find it 'lean'. It actually does sub-bass too due to it's large drivers (which the M50 can't). However, If you're a bass head and want pure bass impact then you may want to go down the M50 line as it hits much harder. Personally I think the AKG is musically on another level. I must add, while I haven't listened to too many Shure phones I know they also have a reputation for great detail so that would be worth a look to (just make sure the sound isn't too bright as I've heard people say they can get fatiguing).

Below (in the links) are the frequency plots for the K550 and M50X. You can see the K550 goes deeper (top left graph) and has much tighter bass (see square wave). If it were just between the two I'd get the K550. If you're unhappy with the bass you could always add a touch of EQ to the bass in your music player (I don't think lack of bass should be a problem anyway). Other things about the K550: It is the most comfortable headphone I own (needs a big head though to get a seal though, this is actually crucial for bass), it's very light in weight, and it's very easy to drive (good sensitivity).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

In summary, they are both good phones but I'd choose the K550 any day of the week (vs original M50). Good luck and try and demo them all yourself!

ahasver

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andy,

what did you end up buying? I have been considering these two for a while, unfortunately they don't have AKGs on display to listen to in my city. I have tested ATs against Shure and when it came to classical music, Shures performed much better with better detailed sound and more fidelity. Unfortunately there were already Massive Attack (Mezzanine) loaded in the testing unit, so I gave the CD a try and the Shure sound was underwhelming and left me with no satisfaction what so ever whereas M50x performed briliantly.

Let us know, what you decided and how satisfied you are :)

Thank you

BigMartin

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I think theyre both really good in their own ways but AKG probably edges the looks side of things which isnt that important but is a small factor when I buy headphones.

For me personally, I prefer the AKG because of the overall quality. Sound is great and neutral but if youre wanting lots of bass then Id forget about it because M50x is probably what you want.

Both pairs are quality though and around the same level as eachother so really depends on what your personal preference.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
from your amp the AKG's are fantastic. Soundstage is extremely wide, bass goes extremely low and detail is very impressive, enabling you to go pretty high with the volume.

Having said that, mine are up for sale with my Grado 325's, I need some advice on replacements and will be starting a new thread.

HIFImother

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I heard sombody say that AKG K550 mk2 lack the bass??? bull................

don't know what amp you are using and what hears you have,must be donkeys

This AKG K550 MK2 WIN OVER ATH-50 in any way,bass better 3 times than ath-50 i have 2 x ath-50 audio technica headphones,and i must say,my new champion headphones company is AKG, ,,,K550 MK2, AKG K712,AKG K812,they are best headpones in the world ,................................sorry buys, honesty win

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
HIFImother said:

This AKG K550 MK2 WIN OVER ATH-50 in any way,bass better 3 times than ath-50 i have 2 x ath-50 audio technica headphones,and i must say,my new champion headphones company is AKG, ,,,K550 MK2, AKG K712,AKG K812,they are best headpones in the world ,................................sorry buys, honesty win

In this forum, we try to be more precise about our criticisms, especially when posting for the first time.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
HIFImother said:

In this forum, we try to be more precise about our criticisms, especially when posting for the first time.

Dunno.

'Bull.....' , '3 times better bass', 'best in the world' ...

... it all reads very precise to me :)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
dalethorn said:
HIFImother said:

Dunno.

'Bull.....' , '3 times better bass', 'best in the world' ...

... it all reads very precise to me :)

My mistake. I should have said respectful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts