Open back over-ear alternative to AKG K550

insider9

Hi All, I do most my listening via speakers. As most on here, evening time I will listen to music wearing headphones. They're closed back but would like a alternative open back over-ear set.

Would like to keep it close to K550 (neutral) I really enjoy. They're my reference when tweaking my hifi.

I'd rather get a second hand pair as I'd get better value for money. Headphone amp I use is rather basic so don't want an overkill as this will my first open back set. Also would like to think the headphone amp is if sufficient quality as would rather avoid spending money on amp.

I have an eclectic taste in music but veer more and more towards jazz but enjoy occasional metal, rock, blues and classical records.

Would like to keep it within £150 so not massive budget but in fairness if I can achieve it under £100 even better.

In fairness, I don't know what to expect from open back other than what I read. Basically looking for an open back equivalent of K550 if one exists :)

Current Headfi setup:
Spotify/FLAC > Yamaha WXC-50 > Firestone Audio Cute Beyond Headphone Amp > AKG K550 (Mk I)

Thanks in advance for any input.

insider9

Dalethorn, thanks again for your advice.

I've read the review and they seem what I'm looking for. By the way I really like the choice of music for the review. It quite clearly indicates what you enjoy listening to more :)

One thing that slightly bothers me is the fact that in the US they cost $60 where as here in the UK close to $150. I belive you're in the US and made the suggestion based on the prices there (might be wrong). Considering they're more expensive here would you still think they're worth it? Or would you say another set would be better value for money?

Looking by prices alone I can see headphones such as AKG K702, Sennheiser HD598 or Grado SR125e all $150-$200. How would these compare to Philips? Would they be worth the extra? Or should I just look to import a pair from across the pond?

Thanks

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:

I've read the review and they seem what I'm looking for. By the way I really like the choice of music for the review. It quite clearly indicates what you enjoy listening to more :)

One thing that slightly bothers me is the fact that in the US they cost $60 where as here in the UK close to $150. I belive you're in the US and made the suggestion based on the prices there (might be wrong). Considering they're more expensive here would you still think they're worth it? Or would you say another set would be better value for money?

Looking by prices alone I can see headphones such as AKG K702, Sennheiser HD598 or Grado SR125e all $150-$200. How would these compare to Philips? Would they be worth the extra? Or should I just look to import a pair from across the pond?

Thanks
The Philips cost $60 on a Massdrop special, but are normally over $100. The Grado would be comparable, but less comfortable and a little rougher sound. The HD598 I don't know, but a guess would be not as neutral as the Philips. The K702 I don't know, but I had the K712, which was as good as the Philips, but not significantly better.

insider9

dalethorn said:
insider9 said:

Thanks
The Philips cost $60 on a Massdrop special, but are normally over $100. The Grado would be comparable, but less comfortable and a little rougher sound. The HD598 I don't know, but a guess would be not as neutral as the Philips. The K702 I don't know, but I had the K712, which was as good as the Philips, but not significantly better.
Thank you again. Would've posted sooner but there's been issues with the forum.

I've visited your website :) so much great info on there. I'm looking into importing Philips but it looks like either Korea (more likely) or US (less likely). There are some strange sellers on both Amazon and eBay not sure I'm going to trust them.

I'll keep you updated and will let you my thoughts once I get my hands on them. Thanks again.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
dalethorn said:
insider9 said:

Thanks
Thank you again. Would've posted sooner but there's been issues with the forum.

I've visited your website :) so much great info on there. I'm looking into importing Philips but it looks like either Korea (more likely) or US (less likely). There are some strange sellers on both Amazon and eBay not sure I'm going to trust them.

I'll keep you updated and will let you my thoughts once I get my hands on them. Thanks again.

I know so many people who got fakes from those non-authorized sellers, it's a real shame. The fakes may sometimes be good physically, but the sound will not be right.

insider9

I'm unable to source Philips SHP9500 from a reputable seller :(

Shame as this leaves me with alternatives only. Probably going to stick to AKG as Grado's are just a little to small (cups) and guess would not be as comfortable after hours of listening. AKG K702 ($150), 712Pro ($220) or maybe even a cheaper 612Pro ($100).

Any suggestions as to which ones to go with?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:

Shame as this leaves me with alternatives only. Probably going to stick to AKG as Grado's are just a little to small (cups) and guess would not be as comfortable after hours of listening. AKG K702 ($150), 712Pro ($220) or maybe even a cheaper 612Pro ($100).

I've had the K712 pro - it's a top-quality near-neutral headphone. Highly recomnended. My review is a few pages back from here.

insider9

dalethorn said:
insider9 said:

I've had the K712 pro - it's a top-quality near-neutral headphone.  Highly recomnended.  My review is a few pages back from here.
As always much appreciated Dale. I've read quite a few of reviews on your website.

Just ordered and should be getting these Friday. I'll share my thoughts at some point this weekend. Thank you for your patience and expert opinion :)

Happy New Year!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
dalethorn said:
insider9 said:

I've had the K712 pro - it's a top-quality near-neutral headphone. Highly recomnended. My review is a few pages back from here.
As always much appreciated Dale. I've read quite a few of reviews on your website.

Just ordered and should be getting these Friday. I'll share my thoughts at some point this weekend. Thank you for your patience and expert opinion :)

Happy New Year!

And happy New Year to you and yours. Watch out for fake product though. Most of the big-name sites are reliable, but some of the big-box sites (can't mention names) sometimes let cloned items through.

insider9

dalethorn said:
insider9 said:
dalethorn said:
insider9 said:

I've had the K712 pro - it's a top-quality near-neutral headphone.  Highly recomnended.  My review is a few pages back from here.

Happy New Year!

And happy New Year to you and yours.  Watch out for fake product though.  Most of the big-name sites are reliable, but some of the big-box sites (can't mention names) sometimes let cloned items through.
Thank you :) and yes I will bear in mind it may not be genuine. It sold by and delivered by (the biggest) jungle site so it's should be fine. They even offer 2 years warranty on all HK brands products. If not returns are simple.

Fingers crossed

insider9

The AKG K712 Pro came in about an hour ago. Without running them in the first impressions are they sound like K550 on steroids :)

Just about everything is an upgrade from build and comfort to sound. Granted in some ways the differences aren't massive but when you put all of it together the results are impressive.

If I had to be critical in any way I'd rather have different ear pads. These look like they'll get dirty quite quickly. The box for K550 was also better made in my opinion. Then there's the bass. The bass produced is a plenty. Difference is like going from standmount speakers to floorstanders. K712 have more of it than K550 but the quality of it is even better.

My intention was to keep K550 but the leakage from K712s isn't huge and it's hard to see myself using K550 anytime soon.

Massive thanks Dale, you've been very helpful!!!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
The AKG K712 Pro came in about an hour ago. Without running them in the first impressions are they sound like K550 on steroids :) Just about everything is an upgrade from build and comfort to sound. Granted in some ways the differences aren't massive but when you put all of it together the results are impressive. If I had to be critical in any way I'd rather have different ear pads. These look like they'll get dirty quite quickly. The box for K550 was also better made in my opinion. Then there's the bass. The bass produced is a plenty. Difference is like going from standmount speakers to floorstanders. K712 have more of it than K550 but the quality of it is even better. My intention was to keep K550 but the leakage from K712s isn't huge and it's hard to see myself using K550 anytime soon.

This is great to hear. Post any new impressions you have, since there isn't that much independent commentary on the K712. BTW, I've always heard that Velour or fabric/Alcantara earpads sound best, but they absorb sweat, so unless they're washable to the original spec, they'd need replacing often if you use them a lot. I usually prefer pleather etc., but they have the disadvantage of being very warm in warm weather, and they also reflect sound more which can muddy things up a bit.

insider9

dalethorn said:
insider9 said:
The AKG K712 Pro came in about an hour ago. Without running them in the first impressions are they sound like K550 on steroids :) Just about everything is an upgrade from build and comfort to sound. Granted in some ways the differences aren't massive but when you put all of it together the results are impressive. If I had to be critical in any way I'd rather have different ear pads. These look like they'll get dirty quite quickly. The box for K550 was also better made in my opinion. Then there's the bass. The bass produced is a plenty. Difference is like going from standmount speakers to floorstanders. K712 have more of it than K550 but the quality of it is even better. My intention was to keep K550 but the leakage from K712s isn't huge and it's hard to see myself using K550 anytime soon.

This is great to hear. Post any new impressions you have, since there isn't that much independent commentary on the K712. BTW, I've always heard that Velour or fabric/Alcantara earpads sound best, but they absorb sweat, so unless they're washable to the original spec, they'd need replacing often if you use them a lot. I usually prefer pleather etc., but they have the disadvantage of being very warm in warm weather, and they also reflect sound more which can muddy things up a bit.

Sure, I will write a review once they're run in. I'd say 50 hours should do it. You can expect a review early next week.

Thanks

bFooz

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I can recommend Audio-Technica ATH Ad-900X. Super comfortable fit (the driver is angled and does not touch your ear) and a natural sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts