AirPort Express & V-Dac

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Would anyone know if the Music Fidelity VDAC is compatible with AirPort Express? I am looking at getting a DAC this week - I contemplated the Cambridge Audio but budget is tight, thus the VDAC seems the next offering I can go for. I notice it has a USB port, but its not a standard port. Does anyone know if I can use it for sending tunes from iTunes? (AirPort).

I've crossed this dilemma before (sorry JohnDuncan!) As I need a DAC to convert TV sound from my TV (it only has digital out). So the DAC is the obvious answer.

Thanks

Arcam Solo Mini
Samsung 40" LED
Ps3

John Duncan

The USB on the V-DAC will work straight from your PC, but USB from Airport Express to any DAC doesn't work. It does however have an optical out from the headphone socket, and the V-DAC has an optical in, so Bob's your uncle.

EDIT - not sure what you mean by "not a standard USB socket", since it looks it to me (well, the irregular hexagon style which is a standard fitting for peripherals - freely available cable shown below).

L10726963.jpg

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Ah - yes, thats what I meant. Its just a conver cable then. Got it. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of the APExpress connections too - I thought I went straight into the DAC! I'm def planning to plug the TV straight to the optical in. So frustrating the TV (New LED) has no phone.

So then, is the only way to connect the vDac it is via a PC. I do have an iPod TOuch so I guess in essence I can plug the PC straight into the dac, phono to the Stereo and run the PC from my iPod (iRemote). Correct - no need for an Airport?

Can an Express plug into the back of a Cambridge Dac Magic? You can see that I am trying to get the most from the DAC as I only want it for the TV, but if I can bolster my iTunes collection I maybe a better solution for all my probs.

John Duncan

MyWhatHiFi:
Ah - yes, thats what I meant. Its just a conver cable then. Got it. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of the APExpress connections too - I thought I went straight into the DAC! I'm def planning to plug the TV straight to the optical in. So frustrating the TV (New LED) has no phone.

So then, is the only way to connect the vDac it is via a PC. I do have an iPod TOuch so I guess in essence I can plug the PC straight into the dac, phono to the Stereo and run the PC from my iPod (iRemote). Correct - no need for an Airport?

Can an Express plug into the back of a Cambridge Dac Magic? You can see that I am trying to get the most from the DAC as I only want it for the TV, but if I can bolster my iTunes collection I maybe a better solution for all my probs.

OK, lots of questions here, I have a meeting and will give a full response shortly...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
MyWhatHiFi:So then,ÿis the only way to connect the vDac it is via a PC. I do have an iPod TOuch so I guess in essence I can plug the PC straight into the dac, phono to the Stereo and run the PC from my iPod (iRemote). Correct - no need for an Airport?

Yup, so long as you have an existing wireless network, you can control your iTunes using your iPod Touch. So if you have the PC connected up to the V-DAC using USB and this is then hooked into the hi-fi, you can play music through this and control through your iPod Touch without the Airport (the key part there is already having a wireless network installed).

MyWhatHiFi:Can an Express plug into the back of a Cambridge Dac Magic?ÿYou can see that I am trying to get the most from the DAC as I only want it for the TV, but if I can bolster my iTunes collection I maybe a better solution for all my probs.

Yes, the advantage of the DacMagic is it has two optical inputs so you can plug both your TV and the Airport Express into the DacMagic. This will obviously be much easier if your PC is nowhere near your TV / Hi-Fi.

ÿ

John Duncan

MyWhatHiFi:

If your PC is right by the DAC, then yes you can go straight from USB to a DAC equipped with a USB in - the DACMagic and the new Beresford (7520?) are both suitable.

If you want to untether the DAC from the PC, then an Airport Express is what you need, though note that this limits you to iTunes content only, unless you buy Airfoil software for $25, which then means you can stream any audio you wish.

In both cases, yes an iPhone or iPod Touch can be used to remote control iTunes (though not any other content).

EDIT - I had this open for a while and I think the Prof has pretty much answered it anyway.

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan / ProffessorHat - thanks to you both. I'm a little clearer now. Wireless network is what I have so I'm just now debating spend really, hence I wondered if the MF V-Dac was compatible with plugging the AirPort straight in? The IPod touch HAS to have the PC on right? Would be ideal if you could stream straight from the Touch ...

John Duncan

the iPod touch is only working as a remote for your PC so yes, the PC has to be on. Streaming from the iPod at best quality involved getting a Wadia iTransport, since that's th eonly thing currently which will take the unadulterated digital output. 350-odd quid though.

With a normal dock you can stream any content from your iPod touch directly from the internet - Spotify, Last.FM, blah blah, but no, you;re not going to see any of the content on your PC.

Lastly, yes an AE will go into a V-DAC, but I've only just spotted an issue - it only has one optical in, you need two...

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I need two Optical in's? Right, I guess I need to IF i get the Airpot express correct? Or do I need two Optical inputs regardless whether I plug a PC or AirPort express in? I didnt realise that - as that can alter the DAC i get.
I was kean on the V-Dac as its simpler and smaller, but if I can bundle all my music and TV through a DAC but it needs TWO ports - then I'll have to go for that ...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Two if using the Airport Express (one for the TV, one for the AE).ÿIf you're going straight from your PC to the DAC using USB, you only need one optical in for the TV.

Of course it's also worth thinking about if you're ever likely to want to plug anything else into the DAC. Better to consider now than get a few months down the line and not have enough inputs...ÿ

ÿ

John Duncan

professorhat:Two if using the Airport Express (one for the TV, one for the AE).ÿIf you're going straight from your PC to the DAC using USB, you only need one optical in for the TV.

Agreed, sorry if that wasn't clear.

professorhat:Of course it's also worth thinking about if you're ever likely to want to plug anything else into the DAC. Better to consider now than get a few months down the line and not have enough inputs...

Agreed.

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Great, I think we're there! I really appreciate your answers guys - honestly, the money spent on this stuff its good to know some online advice is available.

Thanks again for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts