Arylic S50 pro + ,airport express and separate DAC

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
Hoping someone could help me make a decision please.
I currently stream Apple Music ACC.I bought an Arylic S10 streamer last year and had great fun streaming to my older hifi.

My curiosity then took me to purchasing an Apple Express as it had an optical out connection.I also bought a Beresford Caiman I DAC.I would say this improved the sound and I enjoy listening to this set up.

My curiosity is now taking g me into the world of HD lossless music.I’m looking at Amazon music HD.
The airport Express,through Airplay 2 will only stream, as if that’s not enough, 16 Bit 44khz music.My DAC sounds beautiful even putting ACC music through.It can play 24 bit 96 kHz music.
What I’m curious to know is if I decide to subscribe to say Amazon music will my current set up be ok?

An alternative streamer I’m looking at is the Arylic S50pro+.This has an optical out so I can use my DAC but it also has a very good DAC of its own.
If the S50pro + is that good as I’ve read it is I could just sell my DAC and airport express.
Any advice would be very welcome especially fro anyone who may have the S50 pro+ themselves.
M

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site
I think the latest Arylic update supports Amazon music. I have the A50 and the S10 - both sound fine to me and i am enjoying experimenting with their multi-room possibilities. I too am thinking of getting the S50+ to expand the system further. Some reviewers (Andrew Robinson) prefer the A50 sound to the Bluesound node and thats with the more basic DAC so I would be confident that the S50+ would be pretty good. It has lots of connection possibilities and can even trigger other kit so i am looking to pair this up with a budget power amp like the Iotavx pa3. The icing on the cake for me would be airplay 2 (then you connect to a whole variety of other kit) and I gather this is in the pipeline but requires a hardware amendment) so am on the fence of whether to wait for that.

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site
Well its up to the individual but I'd agree with some others on here that hi-res is snake oil and bearing in mind 90% of the music I stream is only available at the lower rate and very few folks can actually tell the difference with higher resolutions seems like the industry has found a way to sell a lot of superfluous gear. Just my thoughts though.

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
I’d be more than happy with CD quality 16 Bit music to be honest.I’m currently streaming ACC from Apple Music and am happy with that.I’ve put my S10 away for now and am using an Apple airport express with separate DAC,which is 24/96.I have to use Airplay from my phone to the airport express which is limited to 16/44 anyway.Similarly using the S10 is via Airplay (16/44) as there’s no direct connection between the S10 and Apple Music,in addition there’s no direct connection to Amazon music either so currently I’d be limited to 16/44 anyway and not able to go higher to 24/196.Bluesound node has a direct connection via wifi to Amazon music as a friend has one but they cost big bucks.

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Hope you don’t mind me jumping in. I’m trying to find someone who has moved from Airport Express to a different streamer (with an inbuilt DAC) and has found an improvement in the “music dropping out issue” or if that’s an inherent problem with streaming music. Or perhaps I just need a better Wi-fi provider/network etc.
thanks, Simon.

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi mate.I can’t say I have any issues with music dropping out.I listen most evenings and never experience a drop..My wifi signal is pretty good .It’s quite a stable piece of kit.I’m still using my airport express and separate DAC and only stream Apple Music at the moment.I find it’s sufficient for my use.How far are you from the router?Maybe you need a booster.The airport utility app states how good your wifi signal is.

Reactions: Simonsaysit

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi mate.I can’t say I have any issues with music dropping out.I listen most evenings and never experience a drop..My wifi signal is pretty good .It’s quite a stable piece of kit.I’m still using my airport express and separate DAC and only stream Apple Music at the moment.I find it’s sufficient for my use.How far are you from the router?Maybe you need a booster.The airport utility app states how good your wifi signal is.
Hub thank you for the reply. My Express is only about 2 metres away from the Airport base station. I’ve got two and both suffer the occasional drop out. Had to wind my Express operating system back a couple of versions as I was getting an audible click at the start of selected tracks- but that’s solved now on 7.6.8 but I do t use a separate DAC. What do you have?
I’m with you, Apple Music is all I really listen too although I did buy a new stylus so I must try that out. Cheers.

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Hub thank you for the reply. My Express is only about 2 metres away from the Airport base station. I’ve got two and both suffer the occasional drop out. Had to wind my Express operating system back a couple of versions as I was getting an audible click at the start of selected tracks- but that’s solved now on 7.6.8 but I do t use a separate DAC. What do you have?
I’m with you, Apple Music is all I really listen too although I did buy a new stylus so I must try that out. Cheers.
(Not sure why I typed HUB! I was going for : hi)

Diggerpitt

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I don’ t really know much about the Apple base stations.Are you using the A1392 Airport Express or an older one?The A1392 offers Airplay 2 with the software upgrade.
I too have a turntable but in all honesty I hardly ever use it.It’s a Linn Axis.I dug it out of the attic after some 25years along with my Pioneer A400 amp.I bought a pair of Monitor Audio speakers.My DAC is a Beresford Caiman.I’m really loving my audio at the moment.If I go down the Tidal or high res music path then I’ll be purchasing the Arylic S50pro+ as the review,in one of the comments above is outstanding.

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I don’ t really know much about the Apple base stations.Are you using the A1392 Airport Express or an older one?The A1392 offers Airplay 2 with the software upgrade.
I too have a turntable but in all honesty I hardly ever use it.It’s a Linn Axis.I dug it out of the attic after some 25years along with my Pioneer A400 amp.I bought a pair of Monitor Audio speakers.My DAC is a Beresford Caiman.I’m really loving my audio at the moment.If I go down the Tidal or high res music path then I’ll be purchasing the Arylic S50pro+ as the review,in one of the comments above is outstanding.
Hi. Yes the Express is v2 (Airplay 2), the main router is an AirPort Extreme. I’m quite happy with the sound for now -even more so when new speakers arrive on Tuesday- but the occasional cut-out is a tad frustrating, happens with either of my Expresses. Broadband contract is up for renewal though so I might shop around. Meantime I’ll have a look at your DAC recommendation though. Thanks. Simon.

iMark

I have been streaming music around the house for over a decade using AirPlay and its predecessor AirTunes.
Our ripped CDs are stored on an external hard drive connected to a Mac mini. Playback through AirPlay sounds excellent and the convenience is great.

Highly recommended. The last Airport Express can be upgraded to AirPlay 2 at no extra cost. We've got one connected to a 20 year old Sony mini system in the bedroom.

We also use AirPlay on the Yamaha R-N602 in the main listening area.

TRENDING THREADS