Airport Express, DAC, ipod etc

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
I've read 10s of threads on this topic but still confused and still have questions :)
I have an ipod nano and of course a laptop.
What is the best way to listen to my lossless files?
I will try to write down what I understood till now (not much :))

Please confirm or correct

1. If I want to use my laptop (itunes) as source I would benefit from a DAC (like the Beresford TC-7520 or DacMagic) if my laptop has a digital output (files are in lossless format)
2. If I want to use my ipod directly to my Cyrus One I need a cable like the Russ Andrews GQ-24 or similar but only the Wadia 170 iTransport will bypass the ipod's DAC
3. If I don't want to have my laptop near my hifi rack I need airport express which I will connect directly to my Cyrus One

Questions:
1. Is there any sound difference between connecting my ipod directly to my Cyrus and using my laptop with airport express?
2. If I buy a DAC with USB (I think the Beresford TC-7520 has one) can I play music directly (If I connect the DAC to my HiFi of course)
3. I have a Marantz CD6002 which I bought last year and I am quite happy with it. If I buy a DAC (as the ones mentioned above) will I benefit if I connect my Marantz to it?
4. What is the best way to connect the airport express to my Cyrus (which cable)?

Thanks,
Dennis

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Ok, here goes:

1 - Yes, definitely, but you don't need an optical out - both the 7520 and DM have USB inputs so will work with ANY laptop in the last 9 years or so
2 - Correct
3 - Again correct.

Q's
1 - Not much. IME, the airport on it's own (i.e. no external DAC) has a slightly warmer sound than the ipod's output, but they are close.
2 - Yep - see point 1 above - both have usb inputs
3 - Slightly, but not earth-shatteringly. The main benefit of the DAC when comparing to a CDP in this price range is the transport - i.e. lossless files on the laptop being better than a CDP.
4 - For my money, it's worth using the AE with a DAC, as the beresford/DM really improve on the AE's analog output. You would use a 3.5mm-toslink optical cable between the two.

Hope this helps...

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
OK great.
I like the idea of the USB DAC and the AE together (although probably I will buy the AE first as it is cheaper and maybe later I will add a good USB DAC)
What cables should I use to connect the AE to my Cyrus? Normal RCA Interconnects?
I read the DAC has to be connected to the CD input of my amplifier but I am using my Marantz CD there.....Do I have to connect my CD6002 to the DAC or is there any other solution to connect both the DAC and CD to my amplifier (e.g. the Line 1 will be as good as the CD input?)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Worth noting quickly, you can't use the USB socket on the Airport Express to connect to a USB DAC - it's purely there to allow sharing of devices like hard disks and printers on the wireless network.

To connect an AE to a DAC, you need to use the mini-TOSlink connector into the optical input of the DAC.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:
OK great.
I like the idea of the USB DAC and the AE together (although probably I will buy the AE first as it is cheaper and maybe later I will add a good USB DAC)
What cables should I use to connect the AE to my Cyrus? Normal RCA Interconnects?
I read the DAC has to be connected to the CD input of my amplifier but I am using my Marantz CD there.....Do I have to connect my CD6002 to the DAC or is there any other solution to connect both the DAC and CD to my amplifier (e.g. the Line 1 will be as good as the CD input?)

I agree with what has been said so far.

RCA from AE to Cyrus. The DAC can be connected to any free input on your amp (tuner maybe or AUX?). The 6002 can be connected to the DAC but you might find that you don't notice much difference. I've never heard the 6002.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts