Advise on wiring new room please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm in the final stage of building an extension at home. The main purpose of the room is for home cinema. I have my Yamaha 863 and Kef speakers in the attic since they arrived a couple of months ago. I also have my QED speaker cable and the electrician is surrently carrying out the first fix to the room. The room is 22 feet by 13 feet.

This is my first venture into home conema so I want to get it right before the plaserboard goes on the wall!!

The builder has put plywood onto the wall to take the weight of the speakers and LCD TV. I have the front speakers maked 1 meter from the centre of the TV and the centre speaker just below it. I've cut the speaker cable for the front left and right the same length. I've also done the same with the rear speakers that are going on the wall at head height to eithe side of the seating area. I will be running 2 HDMI cables from the TV one to the AMP and another spare one just in case or incase I want to put something direct into the TV possibly sky HD box. I'm also running an ariel connection and kept seperatly a powere lead. The sub cable will go direct to the sub behind furniture so its covered too.

The power supply to the room is trunked down the walls to the socket and lighting points so I was going to run the speaker cables at floor height to avoid interferance. I've picked most of this up from other posts so before they put up the plasterboard and plaster the wall am I forgetting anything?? Thanks for your help

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like your good to go, just one point while your still in the early stages id add some extra cable to futureproof yourself if you want to go down the 7.1 route, at least your set-up..........good luck
emotion-1.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Definitely agree with all of Tonestar's points. ÿI think it's also a bit risky to assume the sub will be best by the seating area. ÿIt might easily sound best at the front between the TV and one of the speakers.

Last point - don't put the TV above eye level. ÿYou see so many pictures of plasma screens half way up a wall and it's a total disaster for getting the best picture and watching in comfort without neck-ache.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

Have flexibility with sub to move around. Great idea for the 7.1, I'll do that first thing in the morning.

Unfortunatly due to my wife wanting a feature on the wall under the TV it is higher than eye level. About 4 feet off the ground but its going on a tilt mounting and the seating going into the room naturally makes you look upwards.

How high for the rear speakers? Would 4 feet be enough?

Tonestar1

Sorreltiger:
Definitely agree with all of Tonestar's points. I think it's also a bit risky to assume the sub will be best by the seating area. It might easily sound best at the front between the TV and one of the speakers.

Last point - don't put the TV above eye level. You see so many pictures of plasma screens half way up a wall and it's a total disaster for getting the best picture and watching in comfort without neck-ache.

Definitely don't put your tv any higher than around a metre above floor level. Eye level should be around middle to bottom third of the screen. May look nice above the fireplace but you wont see it at anywhere near its best.

A

Anonymous

Just one or two points to add.

Use 40A wiring not 20A for your dedicated spur (mains) and NOT a ring circuit!

With the rears it depends on the type of speaker you are using. On my MA bipolars they are set 6" off the ceiling and about 18" in off the side walls.

There will be a sweet spot for the sub in the room. Mine is next to my equipment stand and between one of my front speakers.
The equipment stand being under the TV and between the speakers also means that my hardware suffers from less vibrations when the sound levels are high in the room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts