Advise on using a small tube amp with my current setup

navillus65

May 18, 2020
Visit site
Hello there, need a little advice for a newcomer to this amazing hobby

I have an Audiolab 6000a, and Klipsch RP600M speakers. I am using with a Teac Turntable with built in pre-amp (280BT)

I am finding the sound rather bright, and would like to warm up bit. As I have recently purchased, I want to tweak, and not replace.

I am looking at something like a Tubecube7, and use my 6000a as a pre amp.

Am I talking rubbish or is this setup something that would give me a warmer sound.

thanks a real lot for helping me

Chris

Welcome to the forum.
Not familiar with this tube amp but reading up on it I would say it's a bit underpowered for your speakers but they are very efficient so it may work.
Be aware that most of that brightness you hear is probably a product of your 6000a so using it as a preamp might not give you the effect you desire because it's the preamp that most determines the sound.
I personally think you need a tube preamp rather than power amp but then you wouldn't be able to use the 6000a

navillus65

May 18, 2020
Visit site
thank you for the welcome, and thank you for assisting me.

Thats what I was thinking. Another setup I might try, is using the Tubecube just for the turntable, and the 6000a for a streamer that I will shortly purchase. I am assuming I can have simultaneous connections with speakers through both amps as I think the Klipsch allows.

thank you for the welcome, and thank you for assisting me.

Thats what I was thinking. Another setup I might try, is using the Tubecube just for the turntable, and the 6000a for a streamer that I will shortly purchase. I am assuming I can have simultaneous connections with speakers through both amps as I think the Klipsch allows.
I wouldn't connect two amplifiers to those speakers if thats what you're thinking

I'm not sure why anyone would change to an amplifier which is markedly inferior to the one they have. If you find the sound is too bright those speakers are not for you.
Admittedly the OP was only looking initially to change out the power amp section but would that have made much difference, I very much doubt it.
You are correct that those speakers obviously are not suited to that amplifier and / or room.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hello there, need a little advice for a newcomer to this amazing hobby

I have an Audiolab 6000a, and Klipsch RP600M speakers. I am using with a Teac Turntable with built in pre-amp (280BT)

I am finding the sound rather bright, and would like to warm up bit. As I have recently purchased, I want to tweak, and not replace.

I am looking at something like a Tubecube7, and use my 6000a as a pre amp.

Am I talking rubbish or is this setup something that would give me a warmer sound.

thanks a real lot for helping me

Chris

Klipsch do not like newer style solid-state amps and prefer the older style of tuning, early 2000 type sound. Warm and full.

Having said that have you made sure that system is actually set up correctly? Klipsch are very directional with those horn(ish) tweeters. if they are pointed straight at your ears from your seating position they can sound very bright and very full on.

Id certainly be looking at tube based amplification but id sell what you have to help you purchase the change.

something like a

Blue Arua V40 balckline

But bear in mind that not all Valve amps will sound warm, its a bit of a myth really

Last edited by a moderator:

daytona600

some info on RP600 these are exceptional speakers for the money & can compete with speakers at 10 times the price
if driven with suitable source & amps
reviewer did use $5000+ amplifiers & $10,000+ source
if you are looking for a real piont to point valve amp ( not a solid state amp with 2 valves placed at the outputs)
Unison Reareach Simply Italy or croft integrated good place to start

D

Deleted member 116933

some info on RP600 these are exceptional speakers for the money & can compete with speakers at 10 times the price
if driven with suitable source & amps
reviewer did use $5000+ amplifiers & $10,000+ source
if you are looking for a real piont to point valve amp ( not a solid state amp with 2 valves placed at the outputs)
Unison Reareach Simply Italy or croft integrated good place to start

Fully agree with this and the same can be said of many "budget" speakers properly driven its amazing what they can put out.

But i guess it really depends on budget the OPs suggestion was only a $200 "upgrade"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts