advise on 5.1 Surround System much appreciated please...

torque

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:
My advice is to get one :cheers:

Haha sorry everyone…. for some reason despite me typing the below in the box that I am typing this message it would not appear and it was 3am and needed to go to sleep…. Anyways here is the original message….

Hi,

I’m looking to get the F8000 TV and now considering audio options; 5.1 surround sound system. I’d be grateful for advice on a few queries and guidance on choosing the correct gear.

In general is all of today’s Sound System equipment compatible with today’s TVs?

What are the Pros and Cons of ‘All in One system’ and ‘Separates AV, speakers etc’?

If I were to get Separates what sort of gear would I need for a 5.1 Surround Sound system with 3D Blu-ray?

I have looked at the following:

All in One system around £400 e.g. Sony N590 http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hch-systems-with-blu-ray-disc/bdv-n590 I know RS were selling this for £300 recently but seem to have sold out.

Separates e.g. AV Receiver around £200-£250 Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz. This caught my eye http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv373/yama-rxv373-blk

Speakers around £350 Mission http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/mission/mx1/miss-mx1-blk http://www.richersounds.com/product/centre-speakers/mission/mxc1/miss-mxc1

Blu-ray player £100-£200?

Would I also need a Subwoofer alongside these separates?

Any advise/guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

edit: I am still unable to edit my initial post by simply copy/paste the above text into it and save - quite embarrassing really :-/

Check these system options, which is basically 5.1 speakers (including subwoofer) and an AV receiver.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/home-cinema-system-deals/?products=ALL

A separates system will sound better than an all-in-one system.

You don't have to spend a lot on a blu ray player, unless you want extra features. For blu ray picture quality, I haven't noticed any difference between budget and high end players.

Check this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpbdt120/pana-dmpbdt120

It's a brilliant player available at a bargain price.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, everything contemporary is compatible and can be connected via hdmi. As BB says separates will sound better than an all in one and will also be upgradeable. A deal from richers is an excellent suggestion. I agree a budget blu ray is sensible, also consider Sony. Don't be tempted to spend a fortune on hdmi cables (no more than a fiver each) or speaker cable (go for generic multi strand copper cable).

torque

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for both responses.

Sony STRDH820 & Wharfedale DX1 HCP http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-system-deals/pah01516 £500

I do like these Wharfedale speakers and sub-woofer (I suspect 80 watts output is more than ample) and the suggested Blu-Ray Panasonic DMPBDT120 player seems fine to me.

With regards to the AV I suspect this Sony STRDH820 is more than enough to meet my needs – if I were to lower my budget what is the minimum AV spec I should be looking for 5.1 surround with decent audio output?

Thanks.

torque

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED]

Double post, I'm not having much luck typing on this forum.

Admin - please could you delete this post?

Thanks.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Personaly i would advise upping your budget on the speakers,the most important part of the system.I had the kef3005se(£850)and was realy happy with the surround sound they gave(still got the sub and 2 x sat's for my rears). :)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:
Personaly i would advise upping your budget on the speakers,the most important part of the system.I had the kef3005se(£850)and was realy happy with the surround sound they gave(still got the sub and 2 x sat's for my rears). :)

Torque - GSB has a good point - and do you have to purchase a 5.1 immediately?

I decided on a 5.1 setup that I thought I would be happy to keep without wanting to upgrade a little time later. So I then purchased the speakers in stages (the fronts and centre first). I was patient, it took me over a year to complete my HC but i am very satisfied now. Just a thought!

torque

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I do understand that if you have not got the cash to spend instantly why compromise on quality purchasing what you can afford there and then and instead opt to gradually build up the system as and when you can afford to. I also understand that if you purchase a decent set of speakers they could see you through years meaning only the AV would need to be replaced as technology moves on.

Ideally £600 to £800 is my budget for audio equipment. It is difficult it me to even to commit to purchasing parts gradually over time as there are other luxury items that I wish to purchase and there is the possibility of moving up the housing ladder - which leads to kids!

Also am I correct in saying… it does not matter how good your sound system is but if you have not got a decent room for sound to travel and bounce around you are not getting the full audio/sound effect?

At present my currently living room is a decent size, no clutter, with high ceilings with smooth painted walls and laminate floor – so the sound can travel and bounce freely around the room with only curtains to absorb the sound. I can see this situation changing if we move house or if we were to have a child in the current house as laiminate floor would be replaced with carpets (which would absord sound) and there would certainly be more clutter in the room.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Youre talkin' sense torque! I believe the room and its layout & equipment configuration not only seriously effects the sound but moreover sets an upper limit to the SQ such that better and better kit will never improve the sound. However, the size of the room instead of allowing sound to bounce around, will improve the sound by absorbing/reducing sound. We want to hear sound directly from the speakers and not the reflected sound which muddies the sound. Bass is effected more than higher frequencies hence the use of bass traps which rather than reducing bass actually reduces/traps the reflected sound which cancels/reduces bass frequencies dependant on room acoustics.
In one sentence, bigger room the better & more soft furnishings the better. Smaller rooms will need more treatment.
Resources here or Google on room treatment/bass traps may be interesting.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok Torque - now I know where you are - I've got kids - albiet grown up now.

TBH - the Sony STRH820, Pana DMPDBT120 and the Wharfedale DX1 HCP would make a very good HC set-up. The Sony and Panasonic models were on my 'serious' short-list before I plumped for the Onkyo/Sony combo.

Based on your research, and demo's if possible, if you can't find anything better for your budget I don't think you will be dissapointed with the above.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If you have a budget mate then stick to it....you will still get a nice av system,but the trick then is not to get discontent when you find the limitations of the system...this is where i,and probably a few others on here end up wasting a good few $'s by upgrading equipment that is usualy less than 12mths old,becouse it didnt do what we realy wanted it to do.So be clear in what you want...then enjoy :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts