Advice: Speaker pairing for Fatman iTube

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm trying to build my first hi-fi system, and would really appreciate a bit of advice from wiser heads. I've bought a Fatman iTube by mail order and I'm not sure what speakers to pair with it. It's the new model of the iTube, which is listed on Fatman's website as having 25w x2 output, but I can't figure out whether that's 25w into 8 ohms or 25w into 4 ohms. Might anybody know?

I'm not sure what speakers to pair with the iTube; I understand that its low output means that I should pick efficient speakers, but I'm not sure how efficient they need to be. I'm trying to fill a medium-sized listening room - should they be 90 db/w/m? Would 89 do? How about 88?

My budget's up to 350 quid; might anyone please have any advice? I've listed below some of the speakers I'm thinking of; would any of these work well with the iTube, and are there any others that you'd recommend?

B&W 685 - 88 db/w/m
MS Avant 902i - 89 db
MS Aviano 1 - 88 db

MS Mezzo 2 - 89 db

Arcaydis DM1 - 87 db
Focal Chorus 705V - 90 db
Cambridge Audio S30 - 90 db

P.S. - I realise that some of the speakers I'm considering may be better than the dock; but I figure speakers last awhile, and I might upgrade the amp at some point down the road and retain the same speakers.

Thanks for your time and help! =) Cheers!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
From what I've read; the speaker power output will be in to 8ohms.

IMO; out of the speakers youve listed, the Arcaydis DM1's would be my choice. Great looks and reviews.

The B&W 685's are superb speakers BUT they do require a really good current to get them to sing at their best!

Other speakers to conside (IMO) would be:

Monitor Audio RX1's.
Monitor Audio BR2's.
Dali Lektor 2's
Wharefdale 10.1's.

Dont forget to budget for good speaker stands as well (Atacam Nexus 5i/6i's or the SoundStyle Z2's at a minimum)

Let us know how you get on
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello there,

I 'll give you my tuppence for what it's worth. I am an advocate of the Fatman itube, in fact I own two. That doesn't mean I know everything about everything but here goes.

I have tried the Itube with various partners, and they work fine at 88db so no problem there.I currently run a pair of Roth Oli 2's £99) with one set up and they are brilliant, superb mid range.........you can see my thoughts on the review page of the product.

I have tried the Itube with the Monitor Audio Br2 and for me they didn't really do each other justice, I have also tried it with the MS Avant 902i and again I didn't like the pairing.

I have also tried it with the Monopulse 32s( £800) and the results were sensational..

to quote yourself (P.S. - I realise that some of the speakers I'm considering may be better than the dock)

It's just my opinion but do not underestimate how good this little amp is. It really is superb, and I am sure you got it for a good price. It is even better when used in conjunction with a CD player or a quality DAC. I think the Itube is easily a match in quality of each of the speakers you mentioned.

I think you would be wise to take the amp and audition the speakers you want to. I have said what I think of the Roth's Oli2 and that is that.

I run a cd player and Spotify premium into the Beresford Caiman DAC £250 then into the Itube and then into the Roth Oli 2's.

results are fantastic. hope this helps
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ps you are welcome to come and hear my setup if you are any where near the south coast.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for the advice!

brittondave: It's really reassuring to hear your good opinion of the iTube; mine hasn't arrived yet (and I don't even have proper speakers to try it with) but I'm excited about the possibility of trying a (hybrid) valve amp. If you wouldn't mind elaborating: What didn't you like about the pairing of 902is with the iTube?

d_a_n1979: Thanks for the speaker recommendations! I've had a look at the specs on the BR2s, Dali Lektors and Wharedale Diamonds, and while the reviews are excellent I'm a bit concerned about their efficiency w.r.t. the small amp. The RX1s do look like a fascinating option that I need to think about. When you say that the B&W 685s "need a really good current", are you referring to the power of the amp, or the 'clean-ness' of the power source? I'm quite tempted to watch the Arcaydis website for when the DM1s are next available for order; although I've also found the MS Mezzo 2s at 300 GBP (1/3 off their RRP). It seems the tricky thing about buying in the age of the Internet is that the available options will never all be in the same place to audition against each other!

Thanks again. =)

A

Anonymous

PHistory:

brittondave: It's really reassuring to hear your good opinion of the iTube; mine hasn't arrived yet (and I don't even have proper speakers to try it with) but I'm excited about the possibility of trying a (hybrid) valve amp. If you wouldn't mind elaborating: What didn't you like about the pairing of 902is with the iTube?

d_a_n1979: Thanks for the speaker recommendations! I've had a look at the specs on the BR2s, Dali Lektors and Wharedale Diamonds, and while the reviews are excellent I'm a bit concerned about their efficiency w.r.t. the small amp. The RX1s do look like a fascinating option that I need to think about. When you say that the B&W 685s "need a really good current", are you referring to the power of the amp, or the 'clean-ness' of the power source? I'm quite tempted to watch the Arcaydis website for when the DM1s are next available for order; although I've also found the MS Mezzo 2s at 300 GBP (1/3 off their RRP). It seems the tricky thing about buying in the age of the Internet is that the available options will never all be in the same place to audition against each other!

Thanks again. =)

no probs , I listened to the MS902i's for ages but in the end their top end proved to much.....and again I think the Roth's 2's are far better.

just re your comment to Dan......the Br2's are plenty sensitive in fact I think they are 90db......the itube is fine with speakers 88db +.

remember the Itube is a hybid amp so its not like buying a pure bred valve amp where very sensitive speakers are a must...........................most people listen at an average of 9 w.

A

Anonymous

remember expensive doesn't necessary mean better......synergy of equipment is everything........try and audition where possible........use reviews as a guideline only.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I had a Fatman iTube and Monitor Audio BR1s (Atacama stands) a few years ago as a little TV/iPod system for a while....

447365734_1548e21cf4.jpg

Very nice little system for what it was. (A temporary stop-gap between systems.)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PHistory:

Thanks again. =)

No; with regards to the B&W 685's, IMO, they need a solid, weighty amp to drive them at their best. Something like the NAD C326BEE at a minumim would get them to their full potential. Like their older brothers (the 684's and the 683's) they like to be driven hard and loud; that's when they really come in to their own
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Having e-mailed the tech-support people at Fatman, they write:

"The iTube is 25w into 4ohms and 13w into 8ohms."

which means that it's a little bit less powerful than I expected, though I'm still excited at the possibility of getting to hear them. Dan, would you still advise I try the Arcaydis DM1s? Their website (http://www.arcaydis.com/dm1_59.html) claims that they're compatible with amps between 20w and 80w per channel, which is more than the iTube. (Although might that be a conservative estimate?)

Thanks again everyone! =)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PHistory:

which means that it's a little bit less powerful than I expected, though I'm still excited at the possibility of getting to hear them. Dan, would you still advise I try the Arcaydis DM1s? Their website (http://www.arcaydis.com/dm1_59.html) claims that they're compatible with amps between 20w and 80w per channel, which is more than the iTube. (Although might that be a conservative estimate?)

I really do think the Arcaydis DM1's would be absolutley bob on for the Fatman; just they seem to be on hold currently due to demand
emotion-6.gif

If not those I'd still recommend the Dali Lektor 2's.

I dont think the B&W 685's would be advisable as they just wouldnt be doing their job correctly!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:PHistory:

I really do think the Arcaydis DM1's would be absolutley bob on for the Fatman; just they seem to be on hold currently due to demand
emotion-6.gif
If not those I'd still recommend the Dali Lektor 2's. I dont think the B&W 685's would be advisable as they just wouldnt be doing their job correctly!

Am I getting this wrong,,,,,,,,Why are you advising him to buy speakers with a low sensitivity........dali's are 85db and the DM1's are a bit more at 87db.......I reccommended something 88 and above.

I am not being the great I am as an owner of the Itube. But have you heard the Itube with either the Dali's or the Arcaydis.......If not surely it's just a guess. Chebby was more on the money with the MA BR1's which I have also heard with the itube and thought was a good match.......

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've heard the iTube recently with the Lektor 2's, some M/A BR1's and some Q Acoustic 2010's (my brother has just bought one to replace his Bose iDock) and the Dali's sounded superb on Soundstyle Z2 stands
emotion-1.gif

He doesnt use the system stupidly loud as he's in an open plan flat with neighbours but it goes loud enough
emotion-5.gif

The BR1's were good but they lacked the detail that the Dali's mustered and I think the Arcaydis (after reading through the reviews from a lot of folks) would fit the bill well.

At the end of the day the OP needs to demo as much as he can, where he can.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Although looking at the above speakers; I think the Monitor Audio RS1's would fit well as well but it's finding them

I think some places still have them in stock; if not there then try eBay.

They're easy enough to drive and sound/look great as well.

A

Anonymous

ok fair one
emotion-1.gif

I just thought they were a bit low.......however now maybe I will have to have a listen.....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That was my initial reaction as well!

They really do sound good but probably more so as they're at sensible listening levels!

I really did want him to go for the M/A RS1's but couldnt find anywhere that had them and the RX1's were too expensive

A

Anonymous

I have heard the rs1's with a different amp and really liked them.....

and as we are pndering how abut (A bit leftfield) Acoustic Energy Neo 3.......

A sensitve floorstander with lots of detail. and great value at about £260

A

Anonymous

I've actually found the Monitor Audio RS1s on the web for the same price as the MS Aviano 1s.
emotion-1.gif
I'm quite tempted to get them; the reviews on them look very positive. They're 90 db/w/m, so shouldn't be a problem for the amp to drive. The problem, though, is that I can't find any place near me where I could audition them; I'm out of the country until 3 weeks from now, and even when I return I doubt that many hifi stores will still have RS1s around to audition. Shall I take the leap and buy them without an audition, or would that be recklessly foolish? =)

A

Anonymous

I've fired off an order. =) Thanks so much for the guidance!

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm interested by the Itube and I'm hesitate between this speakers :

- Tannoy mercury F1,

- Klipsch Synergy B2,

- Monitor Audio RS1,

- Roth Oli 2.

So, What's the best choice you think ?

TRENDING THREADS