Advice please for HD audio upgrade.

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Just purchased Sony STR-DA2400 and Jamo A102 HCS5 to go with Sony S350 and Pioneer LX5090; previously using Denon S301. Stupidly I asked for all QED cable to be terminated at one end (as all adverts and features seem to illustrate) to find that I will only have to cut them off to attach them to the speaker terminals of the receiver. Am I correct in thinking this? Secondly, is it necessary or important to have the same quality of HDMI cable from the source (BD and foxsat) to the receiver and then out to the TV. I already have a QED HDMI-SR and 2 freebie cables. All advice gratefully received

Messiah

Walt: Stupidly I asked for all QED cable to be terminated at one end (as all adverts and features seem to illustrate) to find that I will only have to cut them off to attach them to the speaker terminals of the receiver. Am I correct in thinking this?

You should not have to remove them as they should just push into the terminals on the rear of the receiver. Sometimes there are little 'caps' that need to be removed first.

Walt:

Secondly, is it necessary or important to have the same quality of HDMI cable from the source (BD and foxsat) to the receiver and then out to the TV. I already have a QED HDMI-SR and 2 freebie cables. All advice gratefully received

Depends upon your view on these things. Some people think they make a difference and some don't. Try them and see what you think. For example, connect the BD player to the TV directly with the QED lead and then the Freebie lead. See if you notice a difference. You should also connect the BD player to the receiver with the QED lead and then the Freebie and see if you hear any difference.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The speaker terminals at the back of the amp have small bungs in, which you need to remove to connect the banana plugs, you can remove them with a cocktail stick or a small screwdriver.

No need to cut off the banana plugs.

nads

re the HDMI cable as most AV amps (sorry dont know if this is true for yours) can just pass through the Video signal while it takes the audio for processing.

It makes sence to have the best cable from the amp to the TV with a cable of as good an ability providing the signal. Also consider that an upscaled to 1080p DVD signal requires more bandwidth than a plain 1080p BD signal.

All mine are the same from the DB to the amp to the TV. and the HD DVD has the same aswell.

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Awesome advice gents. I just cannot believe that Sony could not include this in the manual, or that the supplier couldn't tell me this when I thought I had just wasted £50 on airloc terminals! thank God for the internet and many thanks for your help once again.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sony's not allowed to tell you this, as the bungs are there as part of a Eurosafety regulation involving children, banana plugs and mainland European mains sockets.

That your supplier didn't tell you this if you asked is a different matter...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts