dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm looking to demo the following speakers

B&W 684

B&W CM1 on stands

Monitor Audio Bronze BX5

I mainly listen to rock, metal with a little main stream thrown in. My living room measures 3.6m x 5m, and speakers will have to go close to a wall. I could afford to have a 20cm gap between the speakers and wall.

Is one of the above clearly a better speaker? And any of them suit my music tastes?

They will probably be hooked up to a Yamaha RX-A1020

Thanks for reading this, enjoy your weekend!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For me a quality AV amp is much more desirable than a similar priced stereo one.

With the Yam you get 110 wpc (presume can be bi amped)

optical inputs (no additional DAC needed).

Airplay / dlna (no add streamer)

plus other bits and bobs.

Stereo amp makers need to start getting their act together.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Shame about the sound quality, though! AV amps are great with film, but, oh my, do they die with music. All the bling in the world doesn't make up for sound quality.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
For me a quality AV amp is much more desirable than a similar priced stereo one.

With the Yam you get 110 wpc (presume can be bi amped)

optical inputs (no additional DAC needed).

Airplay / dlna (no add streamer)

plus other bits and bobs.

Stereo amp makers need to start getting their act together.

WHY?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Buy an AV amp, get it all. Or buy a stack. Personal choice and its my opinion.

Im not an expert but why shouldn't an AVR be as good as a conventional amp. Technically.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a 5.1 set up, hence the Yamaha RX-A1020. Had a demo with B&W MT-50's, great speakers for blu-rays, but sadly lacking when it comes to music. The chap in the shop suggested using a hifi speaker for the left and right, then perhaps the M1's for centre and two rears.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Shame about the sound quality, though! AV amps are great with film, but, oh my, do they die with music. All the bling in the world doesn't make up for sound quality.

What is it about AV amps that make them good for movie soundtracks but not music?

Movie soundtracks are generally more dynamically demanding than music.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was, for special effects they were top draw, swords clashing, helicopters flying, bombs going off, bullets flying through the air. What the MT-50's couldn't handle was music, drums, bass, lead, rhythum all at the same time. They simply stuggled to express themselves.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Yes this has been my experience too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

What is it about AV amps that make them good for movie soundtracks but not music?

The ultimate capabilities of AV receivers vary greatly, just like everything else. Sme are great at what they do. Some, not so.

The power ratings on AV receivers are usually measure 'one channel driven', or two channels at best. You rarely see a rating for all five or seven channels driven because the rating would appear much lower. Stick to a speaker package it can handle and it'll sound fine, but people insist on partnering speaker packages that the receiver just can't drive properly, and end up with a sound that isn't representative of the price paid.

Component quality isn't necessarily up with a dedicated hi-fi amplifier. Yes, there will be a lot of standard parts they'll share, but components like the transformer itself, as one example, is usually an 'off the shelf' frame type, whereas many decent hi-fi amps will have a toroidal or bespoke toroidal transformer. These transformers only have to drive two speakers, so are generally more stable, especially with 4ohm loads, with which many receivers can get quite hot under the collar, or even cut out altogether.

Because an equivalently priced AV receiver has to perform many other tasks (picture switching, picture upscaling, picture up-conversion, digital to analogue conversion, analogue to digital conversion, room EQ processing, multiple zone switching, audio streaming, internet radio, various sound format decoding, and also include an integral analogue radio etc etc), you generally find that less of the budget has been spent where it matters. It makes them great value, but their basic sound quality doesn't necessarily reflect the price.

I've done many demos over the years (two channel demos) with various AV receivers, with widely varying results. Some AV receivers have sounded like an 80's Amstrad midi in comparison (before anyone asks - yes, I have heard one, a friend owned one).

One thing shouldn't be overlooked. When AV suddenly boomed in the mid 90's, a lot of people were quick to dump their hi-fi systems for a system that could do everything - hi-fi and surround sound. Since then, the AV side of things has improved greatly, and very regularly too, and we came to a point about 4-5 years ago where people started to become a little disillusioned with the AV market because of the yearly product updates, whether there were any real advances or not. People were getting sick of being left with an 'out of date' product a year after they bought it, along with a high level of depreciation. They've been coming back to hi-fi systems to save space, improve simplicity, along with many other reasons. One of those reasons is that they remember how good their hi-fi system used to sound for music, an area that their current AV system is lacking.

In contrast, hi-fi hasn't really changed that much over the decades. Yes, we now have high efficiency amplification, music streaming, digital room EQ etc, but only music streaming has had any real impact on the market. So a system that is 15 years old is still a valid system, isn't out of date, and a streamer can be added to it - they don't have to replace their entire system.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When I compared B&W CM1's to Kef LS50's I found the CM1's soporifically boring with a veiled, muffled quality to the sound. And yet other people like the CM1's.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to write, very informative. Perhaps, as and when I can afford it I'll buy a amp and streamer for my music. I'm swaying towards the av receiver for several reasons, price, lack of space and multiple use of the unit. Yamaha seem to be making some very good ac receivers at the moment, and having had a demo with one i can say I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality it produced.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

The ultimate capabilities of AV receivers vary greatly, just like everything else. Sme are great at what they do. Some, not so.

The power ratings on AV receivers are usually measure 'one channel driven', or two channels at best. You rarely see a rating for all five or seven channels driven because the rating would appear much lower. Stick to a speaker package it can handle and it'll sound fine, but people insist on partnering speaker packages that the receiver just can't drive properly, and end up with a sound that isn't representative of the price paid.

Component quality isn't necessarily up with a dedicated hi-fi amplifier. Yes, there will be a lot of standard parts they'll share, but components like the transformer itself, as one example, is usually an 'off the shelf' frame type, whereas many decent hi-fi amps will have a toroidal or bespoke toroidal transformer. These transformers only have to drive two speakers, so are generally more stable, especially with 4ohm loads, with which many receivers can get quite hot under the collar, or even cut out altogether.

Because an equivalently priced AV receiver has to perform many other tasks (picture switching, picture upscaling, picture up-conversion, digital to analogue conversion, analogue to digital conversion, room EQ processing, multiple zone switching, audio streaming, internet radio, various sound format decoding, and also include an integral analogue radio etc etc), you generally find that less of the budget has been spent where it matters. It makes them great value, but their basic sound quality doesn't necessarily reflect the price.

I've done many demos over the years (two channel demos) with various AV receivers, with widely varying results. Some AV receivers have sounded like an 80's Amstrad midi in comparison (before anyone asks - yes, I have heard one, a friend owned one).

One thing shouldn't be overlooked. When AV suddenly boomed in the mid 90's, a lot of people were quick to dump their hi-fi systems for a system that could do everything - hi-fi and surround sound. Since then, the AV side of things has improved greatly, and very regularly too, and we came to a point about 4-5 years ago where people started to become a little disillusioned with the AV market because of the yearly product updates, whether there were any real advances or not. People were getting sick of being left with an 'out of date' product a year after they bought it, along with a high level of depreciation. They've been coming back to hi-fi systems to save space, improve simplicity, along with many other reasons. One of those reasons is that they remember how good their hi-fi system used to sound for music, an area that their current AV system is lacking.

In contrast, hi-fi hasn't really changed that much over the decades. Yes, we now have high efficiency amplification, music streaming, digital room EQ etc, but only music streaming has had any real impact on the market. So a system that is 15 years old is still a valid system, isn't out of date, and a streamer can be added to it - they don't have to replace their entire system.

i disagree with most of that :)

I see AVR & hi Fi amps as two seperate markets.

The AVR is constantly innovating and introducing new tech. They are more general consumer tech, and hence need to offer good vfm if they want to sell.

Hi Fi amps have pretty much the same tech as years ago. There's almost a reassuringly expensive thing about them (Stella) and probably give audiophiles subjective reassurance.

I wonder what the end to end profits are. AVR v hi Fi ?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:

That's a nice long reply, but skirts around my point entirely.

If an amplifier is capable of reproducing a movie soundtrack (that is more dynamically demanding than music alone), then why wouldn't it be good at reproducing the music alone (the less demanding role)?

Overdose said:
If an amplifier is capable of reproducing a movie soundtrack (that is more dynamically demanding than music alone), then why wouldn't it be good at reproducing the music alone (the less demanding role)?

Maybe because explosions and helicopters aren't very subtle, so the qualities you might want in a vocal performance aren't very evident from AV amps. Dynamic swing is very different to nuanced atmosphere. And I wouldn't know one 'bang' from another, but I can tell a Fazioli from a Steinway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts