Advice on musiccast setup in a big room

Aug 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi

Finally having moved out of an apartment and into a house, I feel like it's time to get some proper HiFi going!

The system will be used for TV and music of various genres. I'd like for it to be able to play FM, DAB and online radio as well as being able to play from a NAS - I have my eye on yamahas musiccast system, for the ability to add on multiple zones later. Could be a preamp or build in, whatever get me more bang for the buck.

We have a big living room (about 8,5 x 4,5 meters) that open up into another room, with the TV wall-mounted off to a side (pictures attached) - So the first questions is how you would go about placing speakers in a room like this?

The system has to pass the wife-test which means big floorstanders are out of the question. I was thinking wallmounted stereo satellites and a subwoofer would best suit the room, and hopefully be aesthetically pleasing enough :)

5.1 could also be an option if it makes more sense for the room?

Budget is somewhere in the € 1300-2000 range for speakers, amp (+preamp?)

What would you guys buy and how would you set it up?

Thanks in advance

20200802_200017.jpg20200802_122340.jpg

Last edited:

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Finally having moved out of an apartment and into a house, I feel like it's time to get some proper HiFi going!

The system will be used for TV and music of various genres. I'd like for it to be able to play FM, DAB and online radio as well as being able to play from a NAS - I have my eye on yamahas musiccast system, for the ability to add on multiple zones later. Could be a preamp or build in, whatever get me more bang for the buck.

We have a big living room (about 8,5 x 4,5 meters) that open up into another room, with the TV wall-mounted off to a side (pictures attached) - So the first questions is how you would go about placing speakers in a room like this?

The system has to pass the wife-test which means big floorstanders are out of the question. I was thinking wallmounted stereo satellites and a subwoofer would best suit the room, and hopefully be aesthetically pleasing enough :)

5.1 could also be an option if it makes more sense for the room?

Budget is somewhere in the € 1300-2000 range for speakers, amp (+preamp?)

What would you guys buy and how would you set it up?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 1478View attachment 1479

To get a 5.1 system in that space I would say you would be best moving the tv on the wall to the left where the low white unit is and a speaker either side but not to close to the log burner. Where the tv is now in a corner wouldn't be the best or easiest place to accommodate. Also if keeping wife happy is important she might not want 5 speakers and a sub dotted around.

If you are interested in the Yamaha muciscast system have a look at picking up the Yamaha CD-NT670D as a starting point, this would give you a CD Player, DAB Tuner, FM Tuner, Internet Radio, NAS drive access and direct access to some of the leading subscription service and Bluetooth. There would be an optical in for the TV or can use Bluetooth if your tv offers the feature. Its a great little unit for the money and a real box of tricks.

It does have a matching amp either with or without a USB B DAC for connecting to a computer also has a sub output if you decided to go down the 2.1 route. I'm sure you can get better amps for the money but if you want a nice matching setup it looks really neat. I have it in my bedroom as a 2.1 system with a pair of Definitive Audio D7 speakers and a sub and an alexa connected by bluetooth.

Attachments

• 20200803_145841.jpg
    20200803_145841.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So you want to 'get some proper hifi going' - to me that's enjoying some focused listening in stereo (2 channel) and for TV duties, moving away from the TV's inbuilt speakers and enjoying at least a 2.1 cinema system.
So I agree with @matengawhat that you should consider moving the TV.
Otherwise, IMO, you won't properly make the most of a stereo or 2.1 cinema system.
I also note that there appears to be some baby apparatus on the floor, so that means keeping speakers off the floor, and if you move the TV to the large wall above the unit, adding surround/back speakers becomes an issue.
Also be aware that moving the TV in such a light room (lovely by the way) will create a challenge to tackle light reflections from the windows if watching the TV during the day time (good blackout blinds needed).
There are some great Yamaha models available that will do all you want, and give you a decent sound both in stereo and in 2.1, but the investment probably needs you to be able to set it up right - and that means moving the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts