Advice on DAC/Headphone amp (or seperates) for Grado SR80i

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just wondering whats available for no more than around £400, I'm in Australia so i guess thats around $600ish in saying that though prices can vary a lot from AUS to the UK. The source will be my PC.. At the moment i'm using my REGA DAC from my main system connected to a Marantz PM 7200 and i love it, but i need something smaller and want my DAC back out with my main system.. Something that will give me a similar type of sound to this would be perfect..

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Firestone Audio Fubar 4 plus?

A few here (not me I hasten to add) have the non plus version and I don't think anyone was disappointed judging by the comments made.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Chris.

That is one of the ones I've been looking at.. Do you know if it would better what i currently have? (PC via USB > Rega DAC > Maranttz PM7200. Also want to know the charactarisics of the Fubar? what type of sound i can expect from it?

Cheers :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
TBH I'd spend the money on some better headphones. $600 seems a lot to spend to drive what are essentially $100 cans.

I own a FUBAR IV and SR80i. It's not a bad combination, although I find the Grado's detailed, aa;beit a little rough both in terms of sound and the build quality. That energy and detail is sometime appreciated.

What does the fostex hp-a3 retail for in Australia? It retails in Japan for around $300 at current exchange rates.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Probably should have mentioned I'm planning on getting better cans so i want the amp/DAC to be good enough for when i get some new ones, have to agree with you about the Grados.. build quality is like a cheap pair of chinese crap but the sound IMO is out of this world for the money! :) Thanks for the Fostex suggestion, ill check it out :)

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
What does the fostex hp-a3 retail for in Australia? It retails in Japan for around $300 at current exchange rates.

It goes for around $450 in Aus.. I can get the Fubar IV plus for $349 including shipping. This is where it kind of gets difficult though.. I'm not sure what my next set of cans will be yet..

Would the AudioQuest Dragonfly be your best bet?

It would free up the Rega DAC for your main system, and is designed for headphone use direct from the PC. Review here:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dragonfly

Should leave plenty for your next cans too!

PS. I have heard one though a system, using a 3.5mm jack lead from a MacBook to a normal hifi amp. Much better sound! Am considering one for myself at the moment.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
The little Dragonfly looks great but i really need a headphone amp as well. I move my computer around a bit for LAN games and dont really want to have to bring the marantz with me (the PM 7200 is a big unit) Suprisingly, my iphone seems to be able to pull more volume out of the Grados than my computer lol. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts