advice needed

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
:help: :help: :help:

Hi Peeps.

I'm wish to purchase a new TV, an upgrade from my Sony 32w5500. My budget is £1000. I have narrowed it down to two Set's. The Sony KDL-40 or 46HX853 and Panasonic's 42GT50. I have read many times it all depands on preference ect, ect1. but i would rather go on opinion. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Electronic's so any advive would be appreciated

P.S. I'm aware there are many threads regarding both models, but i wanted to make my own so it would be easier for me to form you'r opinions.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

Both are excellent TVs, I would say the bigger the better. My preference is the Panasonic, I love the black levels against the bright screen.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
civilian said:
Good advice guy's... Really appreciated!!!! I think ill buy both.

Problem solved then!

I really have no idea why no one replied to your question posted at 7-30 on a Saturday night with all due speed (perhaps they were busy enyoying other things apart from being on here *tut*). Anyway, enjoy your new tellys!

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Good advice guy's... Really appreciated!!!! I think ill buy both.

Toss a coin!
smiley-smile.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel is biased towards the GT50 so just for balance my vote is for the HX853 in the biggest size you can afford as i'm biased towards the HX853, It's a superb tv! Seriously though it just comes down to a preference over LED or Plasma as both are wonderful tvs...although the HX853s won more awards this year ;)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:
gel is biased towards the GT50 so just for balance my vote is for the HX853 in the biggest size you can afford as i'm biased towards the HX853, It's a superb tv! Seriously though it just comes down to a preference over LED or Plasma as both are wonderful tvs...although the HX853s won more awards this year ;)

+1

Both are excellent TV's.

I considered both before purchasing mine & had a demo in John Lewis.

If you want to be frugal on your electricity then the Sony 46HX853 LED is the way to go using only 45 to 50 watts when calibrated properly. Compare this to around 150 to 230 watts for the 42" Panasonic Plasma TV.

I would go & have a demo to see which you prefer.

Regards ..

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
patience is something i must learn, i guess Lol.. As it was my first post i guess i was to eager for replies. Please accept my apology if it came accross pushy.

Thank you for your advicve guys, always appreciated. I did actually see the 46HX853 yesterday at PC World for £949 with just the Blu-Ray player coming with it..! I have no experience when it comes to Plasma, so the Sony seems like a stong Possibility. And as OldBoy has said, it has won alot of Award's and seems like the better all-rounder..! can you please let me know of any problems you may have come accross with the Sony..

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
patience is something i must learn, i guess Lol.. As it was my first post i guess i was to eager for replies. Please accept my apology if it came accross pushy.

Thank you for your advicve guys, always appreciated. I did actually see the 46HX853 yesterday at PC World for £949 with just the Blu-Ray player coming with it..! I have no experience when it comes to Plasma, so the Sony seems like a stong Possibility. And as OldBoy has said, it has won alot of Award's and seems like the better all-rounder..! can you please let me know of any problems you may have come accross with the Sony..

You don't need any experience with plasmas, you just buy and enjoy! Not sure if the Sony is the better all rounder, it is just personal preference.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the after sales advice, as silly as it may sound it's something that i did not think about. The only thing holding me back from buying a Plasma is all the issues i have read. I watch a lot of football, on occasions for most of the day.. I don't want to be worrying about the logo burning on to the screen...Ect, ect.

P.s. Congrats Seb!!!!! Three in a row...Quality!

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Thanks for the after sales advice, as silly as it may sound it's something that i did not think about. The only thing holding me back from buying a Plasma is all the issues i have read. I watch a lot of football, on occasions for most of the day.. I don't want to be worrying about the logo burning on to the screen...Ect, ect.

P.s. Congrats Seb!!!!! Three in a row...Quality!

That is fair enough, it took me a few sets to get the right one due to buzzing from the TV. You do seem to have to be careful with image retention. But man it's good!

Image retention is temporary while screen burn is permanent. Newer plasmas are quite resistant to both. Most channel logos are not brightly coloured for this reason. I've never had image retention or screen burn on my now 42-month old plasma despite watching movie channels or cricket for hours, & even playing games.

Bear in mind that plasmas inherently handle motion better without the need for any artificial processing. This may be important if you watch a lot of football. Compare a football match in the shop, on the 2 TVs.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Good idea!! i'll be going JL do audition both models tomorrow. Is it worth waiting to purchase either set just before christmas.... I mean in your own experience do Tv's go down in price closer to that date..?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Tv's are usually released at the beginning of the year, so by christmas & the beginning of the new year they are on the way out to make way for the new models, i cannot say that you can save a few quid by january but i reckon now should be a good a time to buy a new tv.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I can't really advise as i'm no expert but i think it's all down to personel choice, i have an older panasonic tv, a five star review at the time but it's several years old now.

As mentioned above try to view both & then it's down to you who you want to give your money to sony or panasonic.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guy's.

Went to JL today, was there for an hour or so deciding what TV to purchase... After changing my mind a thousand times i ended up going for the Pana 50 Inch..! The Pana just seemed more natural to my eyes..! I must say both TV's are excellent and neither is to far ahead or behind from what i saw. i ended up paying £1,199 Iwhich included a Blu-Ray Player, Two 3D Glasses along with two Blu-Ray DVD'S. Avatar and some other one.

P.s. Can anyone please guide me into breaking in the TV. I was told 48 hours by the sales man in JL....But from what i have read on this forum that's nonesne and should be alot longer..!

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank's for the reply BB. Do i have to turn down any of the setings while i run it in.... or just simply keep away from dynamic mode..!?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
It might also be an idea to avoid channels like BBC News, that have a scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen. The outline of the scrolling bar is always on the screen, so might just cause image retention problems with a plasma set while the set is new.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Also you could make sure the pixal orbitor is switched to on in your settings,i used THX mode when first running mine.

Great choice by the way mate :)

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Son/GSB, appreciated for the advice. My set arrives tomorrow, i'm soooo excited!!! I'm going to let in run in for at least 3oo hours... Before even thinking of playing aroeund with any settings. Any further advice would be appreciated as usual...

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just had my 50GT50 delivered by JL.. Im bricking myself to turning it on...Lol. I'll update you tomorrow if i come accross aby problems, ect , ect.. And as usual any advice to run it in would be greatly appreciated. Peace.

TRENDING THREADS