Advice needed on a beginners sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It is my first set up and although the bass on my speakers are relitivly good, i want more
emotion-2.gif
i use my hifi to watch films on and also to play my music really loud and love really low bass!! i currently have a dennon PMA-500AE amp and dennon DCD-500AE cd player. i also have a pair of tannoy F1 customs.

i am not too sure where to start, i took a look at a few sites and reviews but dont know how much to spend, how efective they are and what to look out for etc. i realised that subs for hifi's are allot more expencive than car subs, would it be possible or suitable to use a car sub as they may be more powerful?

thanks

A

Anonymous

Go for a BK Electronics one. You won't regret it. A car one isn't suitable.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

A

Anonymous

What's your budget?

I've had 2 subs.a MJ Acoustics and changed that for a Quad L.It's enough to shake the sofa in movies and feels like it changes the pressure in my lounge when playing very bass heavy music eg. Death In Vegas or Leftfield.

you can get them new for about £650.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd have to second the vote for a BK sub.

You don't say what you want to spend though, and as you're thinking of a car sub (noooo, don't do it !) you may not want to outlay as much as you'd need to for a good BK.

For something a bit cheaper, maybe the Mordaunt Short 309i ? It can be had for around £160 if you shop around. If you want something cheaper than that, then be aware that you probably won't really do your Tannoy's justice.

Hi-Fi subs are very different beasts to car subs. Don't expect too similar a sound. Many car audio fans think that hi-fi subs lack bass, as they're used to their car set-up "booming" (not in a good way !) in such a small space. When they hear a hi-fi sub which goes deep without the boom, they think there's something missing.

Many car hi-fi subs are fun, but are pretty far from a proper audio experience. I appreciate there's many good car subs, but there's far more plodding one-note ones. I used to be quite into them myself (oh, the shame
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I assume you were thinking of car subs for cost reasons. A couple of better alternates are Jamo, Polk Audio, Mordaunt Short, Sony. All these manufacturers have some very low priced sub. These subs do the price complete justice, only if you can get them.

A

Anonymous

i have read about how subs dont have "boom" but not too sure what that is as i asume car subs have boom? what is boom?
emotion-2.gif

i took a look at the BK subs and with my little knowlage i have i compared them to other subs recomended and saw that they have allot more power and are capible of much lower frequencys. are they really that much better than other subs or is there more to it than frequency and watts?

was also wondering what kind of frequencys i would need as it would be used for a kind of homecinema but mainly to play music, would it be possible to make a room 10ft by 14ft sound almost like a club :D

i am very tempted to buy a BK sub, if i was to get one it would either be the monolith, the XLS300 or the XLS200. saw that they are quite expencive (although i expect they are very good value) and cant seem to find any on ebay to buy one secondhand, anyone know of someone selling one?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mx2cool"]

i have read about how subs dont have "boom" but not too sure what that is as i asume car subs have boom? what is boom?
emotion-2.gif

i took a look at the BK subs and with my little knowlage i have i compared them to other subs recomended and saw that they have allot more power and are capible of much lower frequencys. are they really that much better than other subs or is there more to it than frequency and watts?

was also wondering what kind of frequencys i would need as it would be used for a kind of homecinema but mainly to play music, would it be possible to make a room 10ft by 14ft sound almost like a club :D

i am very tempted to buy a BK sub, if i was to get one it would either be the monolith, the XLS300 or the XLS200. saw that they are quite expencive (although i expect they are very good value) and cant seem to find any on ebay to buy one secondhand, anyone know of someone selling one?

[/quote]

BK used to manufacture some of the early RELs and the MJ pro 50 mkI and are excellent value because they are mail order only.. I have an XLS300, the missus wouldn't tolerate a huge thing like the Monolith.
emotion-40.gif

They rock.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]

I'd buy a Rel T3...very nice sub for the money.

[/quote]

And I wouldn't.

A

Anonymous

Care to elaborate?

[/quote]

8" Chinese woofer as opposed to 10" Peerless, half the amplifier power and looks a bit naff for a living room. I also can't see a downward firing version.

A

Anonymous

You're comparing the BK to a Rel T3, when a proper comparison should be made with the T1. That said, the BK looks to be way more bang for the buck (or pound). I've never heard a BK, what am I missing? Also, do they ship to Canada?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

You're comparing the BK to a Rel T3, when a proper comparison should be made with the T1. That said, the BK looks to be way more bang for the buck (or pound). I've never heard a BK, what am I missing? Also, do they ship to Canada?

Cheers!

[/quote]

Looks like I was wrong, like the BK the REL is downward firing and the front is an ABR. Still looks like it belongs in a garage though.

The sound is smooth, fast and deep. Everything you would want.

Email BK and ask them about Canada.

A

Anonymous

Well, the BK isn't a looker either...so if I'm buying based on looks, I certainly would look for other options. However, it's sound that I'm after and I've liked what I've heard from Rel, but would love to hear a BK, too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts