Adventures of an eccentric Irish Hi-Fi enthusiast.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Leeps said:
"For the two back columns I had to construct a makeshift funnel from half a 7 Up bottle and sellotaped it to the top of each tube in turn tube.....and then troweled in the sand."

Blue Peter would be proud!

I grew up with Peter Purves, John Noakes, Valerie Singleton.......and Petra........So no surprise there then. :grin:

Well , that instantly gives us an idea of your age .

Get down , Shep .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
Very glad you will be up and running sound-wise in a few days. If the building work is sorting your dry-rot then I sincerely hope it all goes perfectly.

Thank you for your kind words, and sorry for taking so long to acknowledge, as things have been a bit hectic recently.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
You should stop quoting Gide! He was a fairly shallow fellow. You should find a better hero!

Chris

I've really only just started quoting him.

I'm thinking of changing it for "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." :shifty:

Nah - seen it here already even if it's sage enough advice. You need something a litle more humorous. As for being barking - sounds perfectly normal to me - did it years ago with the original fibre-board SL6 stands & more recently with my Arros. Amazon do lead shot - 10kg for £50 post free so may get around to trying it. You barking? You are one of the sane here!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
busb said:
You barking? You are one of the sane here!

Well, that's cheered me up......either that, or there's little hope for the rest of yuz. :shifty:

I fear there is little hope for any of you but it will keep some hifi manufacturers in work for some time so maybe we should encourage it. Pass the woofle dust!

Chris

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Cno,

So pleased for you with the new set up! Out of interest, what amp did you listen to the LS50s with. I love my R100s but if I am missing a trick, maybe I should check them out once more...I heard them ages ago on the end of an A19 and wasn't that impressed. I found them a little gritty and muddled sounding.

Best

PMB

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Hey Cno,

So pleased for you with the new set up! Out of interest, what amp did you listen to the LS50s with. I love my R100s but if I am missing a trick, maybe I should check them out once more...I heard them ages ago on the end of an A19 and wasn't that impressed. I found them a little gritty and muddled sounding.

Best

PMB

Most of my listening was done with a Linn Majik DSM, using its streamer as the source.

Every time I have compared them with the R100s, they sounded so much more open, natural, detailed and controlled. For me it was the R100s that sounded a little more muddled with a bass that wasn't as tight or tuneful.

Now don't get me wrong, the R100s are as good as I've heard for the money and it's only directly comparing them with the LS50s that they show a weakness (for their price range).

It's very personal indeed, but I would go as far as saying that imo the LS50s are two to three times as good........fed with a good amp and source, they are remarkable and have a way of making everything enjoyable.

Usual advice applies - don't take my word for it. :grin:

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Did you remember to cryogenically treat the sand first and demagnetise it?

Remember that it will take about a hundred hours or so to burn in…

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:
busb said:
You barking? You are one of the sane here!

Well, that's cheered me up......either that, or there's little hope for the rest of yuz. :shifty:

I fear there is little hope for any of you but it will keep some hifi manufacturers in work for some time so maybe we should encourage it. Pass the woofle dust!

Chris No drug dealing in day time hours............:shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
proffski said:

I used Play-seebo sand and blind tested it by getting it in my eyes.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
p_m_brown said:
Hey Cno,

Best

PMB

Most of my listening was done with a Linn Majik DSM, using its streamer as the source.

Every time I have compared them with the R100s, they sounded so much more open, natural, detailed and controlled. For me it was the R100s that sounded a little more muddled with a bass that wasn't as tight or tuneful.

Now don't get me wrong, the R100s are as good as I've heard for the money and it's only directly comparing them with the LS50s that they show a weakness (for their price range).

It's very personal indeed, but I would go as far as saying that imo the LS50s are two to three times as good........fed with a good amp and source, they are remarkable and have a way of making everything enjoyable.

Usual advice applies - don't take my word for it. :grin:

Mmmm, might have to give them another go with my new A38 then as the gear I heard them on did them no justice... :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Mmmm, might have to give them another go with my new A38 then as the gear I heard them on did them no justice... :twisted:

Make sure you try a well run in pair on decent (heavy) stands.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
I use atacama nexus filled with metal arbitrates. They good enough or do I need go for those Custom Design beasts?!

The stands as you describe them are certainly good enough to decide whether you prefer them (if on a suspended wooden floor, you'd probably need a Granite slab). Custom Design FS104 or Partington Super Dreadnought should make them sound even better.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
proffski said:

I used Play-seebo sand and blind tested it by getting it in my eyes.

Both eyes? So it was a double-blind test then? Good man!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Next time, to save some of the funny looks from the family, go to woodies and buy some Kiln dried sand
smiley-wink.gif

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
MattSPL said:
Next time, to save some of the funny looks from the family, go to woodies and buy some Kiln dried sand
smiley-wink.gif

Just make sure there are no holes in the bag and it's been stored outside in the rain though. :help:

Yeah your right, seemed strange to me that they kept special dried sand outside in the rain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts