Adventures of an eccentric Irish Hi-Fi enthusiast.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well today, my family have witnessed me going to a whole new level of barking.

I got some Soundstyle Z2 stands cheap and decided to fill them with sand. This meant a trip to Argos to get some "Play Sand". When I got it home it was too damp, so I started cooking it in the oven @ 200 deg C.

One hour later it was ready, and decanted into a cake bowl to cool, When hand hot, I then stirred well to break up the lumps and (to the amazement of my youngest), sieved it into another cake bowl.

For the big columns, with gardening trowel in hand, I filled two of the plastic bags (that it was packed in); weighed them to make sure they were of equal weight; made a sausage that would fit the tube/s, and with Mrs Cno's help (and more than a little scoffing), stuffed it into the waiting columns.

For the two back columns I had to construct a makeshift funnel from half a 7 Up bottle and sellotaped it to the top of each tube in turn tube.....and then troweled in the sand.

Half an hour later, I've two sand filled stands, a kitchen that looks like a beach, four bemused children and a wife who is now armed with enough gossip to sink me socially (locally and across all social media).

Job done!

CnoEvil said:
Well today, my family have witnessed me going to a whole new level of barking.

I got some Soundstyle Z2 stands cheap and decided to fill them with sand. This meant a trip to Argos to get some "Play Sand". When I got it home it was too damp, so I started cooking it in the oven @ 200 deg C.

One hour later it was ready, and decanted into a cake bowl to cool, When hand hot, I then stirred well to break up the lumps and (to the amazement of my youngest), sieved it into another cake bowl.

For the big columns, with gardening trowel in hand, I filled two of the plastic bags (that it was packed in); weighed them to make sure they were of equal weight; made a sausage that would fit the tube/s, and with Mrs Cno's help (and more than a little scoffing), stuffed it into the waiting columns.

For the two back columns I had to construct a makeshift funnel from half a 7 Up bottle and sellotaped it to the top of each tube in turn tube.....and then troweled in the sand.

Half an hour later, I've two sand filled stands, a kitchen that looks like a beach, four bemused children and a wife who is now armed with enough gossip to sink me socially (locally and across all social media).

Job done!

Nurse! you're needed urgently.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I once bought some kiln dried sand for my stands. But there were holes in the bag and B&Q had left it out in the rain. :doh:

Luckily it was a hot summers day so I just sliced the bag open and let it dry in the sun for a few hours.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I once bought some kiln dried sand for my stands. But there were holes in the bag and B&Q had left it out in the rain. :doh:

Luckily it was a hot summers day so I just sliced the bag open and let it dry in the sun for a few hours.

In that case, you're only a Grade 2 Dingbat. ;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Now for the big question...

any improvement in SQ?

smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

any improvement in SQ?

smiley-smile.gif

I wondered when I'd be asked that.

There is a longer story to all this. Before the builders absorb all my money, I wanted to get some small R100s to cope with left and right on my HT system.....so I don't have to use the 35i (which will remain connected to 205/2s).

On Saturday, myself and Mrs. Cno went to do another demo of R100 vs LS50, as I wanted her opinion. Try as I might to get the R100s, the gulf between them and the LS50s (imo) is so considerable, that I wouldn't be happy with the R100s.

The dealer is coming over to install the whole thing on Wednesday, and they will bring the LS50s with them to put on the sand-filled stands......so I haven't tried them without. Past experience tells me that the effort will be worthwhile.

It will be great to get my system back. The five or so months with no music hasn't been much fun.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

any improvement in SQ?

smiley-smile.gif

There is a longer story to all this. Before the builders absorb all my money, I wanted to get some small R100s to cope with left and right on my HT system.....so I don't have to use the 35i (which will remain connected to 205/2s).

On Saturday, myself and Mrs. Cno went to do another demo of R100 vs LS50, as I wanted her opinion. Try as I might to get the R100s, the gulf between them and the LS50s (imo) is so considerable, that I wouldn't be happy with the R100s.

The dealer is coming over to install the whole thing on Wednesday, and they will bring the LS50s with them to put on the sand-filled stands......so I haven't tried them without. Past experience tells me that the effort will be worthwhile.

It will be great to get my system back. The five or so months with no music hasn't been much fun.

You should stop quoting Gide! He was a fairly shallow fellow. You should find a better hero!

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
You should stop quoting Gide! He was a fairly shallow fellow. You should find a better hero!

Chris

I've really only just started quoting him.

I'm thinking of changing it for "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." :shifty:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

any improvement in SQ?

smiley-smile.gif

There was me thinking you'd gone completely bonkers and were going to put the 205/2s on stands. :doh:

Glad to hear the end is in sight, or should that be the beginning?

:cheers:

Matt

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
"For the two back columns I had to construct a makeshift funnel from half a 7 Up bottle and sellotaped it to the top of each tube in turn tube.....and then troweled in the sand."

Blue Peter would be proud!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Leeps said:
"For the two back columns I had to construct a makeshift funnel from half a 7 Up bottle and sellotaped it to the top of each tube in turn tube.....and then troweled in the sand."

Blue Peter would be proud!

I grew up with Peter Purves, John Noakes, Valerie Singleton.......and Petra........So no surprise there then. :grin:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I'm thinking of changing it for "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." :shifty:

I like Thurber's take on it: "It's better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers".
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Back in the day, as a dealer, I would routinely sand fill the stands we used in our dem room. On some speaker in particular the stands were of crucial importance, the big difference of course, being between those that were 'mass loaded' and lightweight frame stands. On our massive concrete floors the differences were very obvious indeed.

Like you, we were often the source of much amusement, large plastic sheets with the best part of a hundredweight of sharp stand in the middle of the shop floor caused consternation to customers and passers by alike.

On one occasion this was too much for a passing canine that wandered in and started sniffing around the pile of sand.

The owner followed him in and chirped, "Don't worry, he doesn't want to buy anything".

My partner replied, as quick as a flash, "just so long as he doesn't change his mind and leave a deposit on something".

;)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I like Thurber's take on it: "It's better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers".
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

OK, not as crisp or witty, but this chap (the German playwright G. E. Lessing in the 1770s) got there first:

If God held complete truth in his right hand, and in his left hand the desire to seek truth, even if always to go astray in the process; and if he told me to choose between them, I would humbly choose his left hand and say to him: “Father, give this to me! Pure truth is reserved for you alone.”

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Very glad you will be up and running sound-wise in a few days. If the building work is sorting your dry-rot then I sincerely hope it all goes perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS