Adding a subwoofer to two channel music system

robdmarsh

I've read about the benefits of adding a sub for music (not really interested in home theatre tbh) but up until recently had been skeptical. However, I know they can be small and discreet and still make quite a difference. What are people's thoughts bearing in mind I have an amp with no sub out (but it does have 2 pairs of speaker binding posts)? Thinking about something like Rel t5i (budget £350 ish).

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Adding a subwoofer for me has been one of the greatest sound improvements, unless you have full range speakers a good sub will take the sound down to 20 htz. I held off myself due to concerns regarding integration & positioning. However I’ve really found that it adds a foundation to the sound, just making everything sound fuller with an expanded sound stage.

Depending on the make / model of sub you can always use a high level connection directly off the amps speaker terminals as recommended by REL or if the amp has a pre out use the low level connection using an appropriate length interconnect.

Worth thinking about what type of floor you might consider using the REL t5i with as it is down firing modal, which whilst rel claims that this boosts base relative to the size of the woofer may not be so suited to a suspended floor. Iam using SVS sb 1000 subs which have been great to my ears.

Reactions: mxer and AJM1981

robdmarsh

Adding a subwoofer for me has been one of the greatest sound improvements, unless you have full range speakers a good sub will take the sound down to 20 htz. I held off myself due to concerns regarding integration & positioning. However I’ve really found that it adds a foundation to the sound, just making everything sound fuller with an expanded sound stage.

Depending on the make / model of sub you can always use a high level connection directly off the amps speaker terminals as recommended by REL or if the amp has a pre out use the low level connection using an appropriate length interconnect.

Worth thinking about what type of floor you might consider using the REL t5i with as it is down firing modal, which whilst rel claims that this boosts base relative to the size of the woofer may not be so suited to a suspended floor. Iam using SVS sb 1000 subs which have been great to my ears.
Thanks for your reply. First of all, my amp has no pre out or sub out but 2 sets of speaker terminals. I know REL suggest the best result is to use the same speaker terminals as for your main set of speakers but why not use the 2nd set of binding posts? Surely it would be easier to fit? Secondly, regarding your comments, I have a little piece of tiled floor in front of what was an old fire-place and I'm thinking this would be a good location for a sub.

Can I ask which model of sub you have? Doh! I've just seen this in your post... Cheers :LOL:

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Yeah I think if you use the same set of terminals then you could simply use spades (subwoofer) with one set of cables & banana plugs (speakers)with the other. Not sure if using a different set of terminals could introduce timing issues, hence the recommendation by REL to use the same set.

If you have a solid floor then down firing should not be an issue, positioning will depend on the room & your ears. SVS have lots of useful info on positioning of subs on there website, which is well worth a look. I’ve found my SVS subs great value but have friends who equally love there RELs, don’t think you’d go far wrong with either brand.

Reactions: nopiano

SteveR750

FWIW, a sub was a huge improvement to my 2.1 sonos sysyem when I had it, but the difficult part of integration is done automatically by sonos. I have had a REL previously that was a nightmare to set up correctly. I'm toying with the idea of adding a wharfedale Sw150 to my system. I don't want a ton of extra grunt, just a bit of flat extension to about 40Hz is enough in my room.

Thanks for your reply. First of all, my amp has no pre out or sub out but 2 sets of speaker terminals. I know REL suggest the best result is to use the same speaker terminals as for your main set of speakers but why not use the 2nd set of binding posts? Surely it would be easier to fit? Secondly, regarding your comments, I have a little piece of tiled floor in front of what was an old fire-place and I'm thinking this would be a good location for a sub.

Can I ask which model of sub you have? Doh! I've just seen this in your post... Cheers :LOL:
A lot of amps may struggle to drive both speaker outputs at the same time. Connect sub to same terminals as main speakers.

Reactions: oldie

robdmarsh

I used the spare set of terminals on my previous Exposure 31010s2d without issue the terminals are just sending a signal to the sub, as the sub is driving the woofer on its own power.
Yes this is what I was thinking. Surely the amp in the sub is doing the work so connecting to a second set of binding posts shouldn't be a problem and should help with ease of set up.

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yes this is what I was thinking. Surely the amp in the sub is doing the work so connecting to a second set of binding posts shouldn't be a problem and should help with ease of set up.
If you buy a rel sub, use the provided rel high level cable, it's well explained in the instructions how to install it and works a treat....oh and btw class d amps require a different approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fidelity dom

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
I believe it is to do with how class d handles the signal, tech support from primare attempted to explain it to me but lost me halfway through the first sentence so I took there word for it…..🤣. I think it’s only the HT series of REL subs that use class d, the t series use AB.

robdmarsh

Hi guys, just purchased a t5i on eBay but not happy about something. And that is the guy now tells me he doesn't have the high level Neutrik cable that comes supplied with the sub but he never mentioned this in his ad. How important is this cable and how expensive is it to replace?

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts