Adding a Primare A30.5 5 Channel Power Amp to Yamaha DSP Z7 Home Cinema Amp.

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

My present system is as in in my signature (see below) and I am considering adding a Power Amp to my DSP Z7 AV amp to get better sound for Stereo duties.

I have the chance of buying a used Primare A30.5, which is a 5 channel Power Amp, with the intention of connecting it to the DSP Z7 in a Pre / Power amp configuration, whereby the front two speakers will be Bi-Amped and using the fifth channel for the center speaker. The remaining two speakers (surround) would remain connected directly to the DSP Z7 (as is today)

I had a quick read of the DSP Z7 manual and from my understanding switching the DSP Z7 to Pre Amp mode activates all the channels to Pre Amp in the main Zone. I will have a good read over the week end to see if I may have missed something out that would enable me to run my above intended configuration.

I am wondering if any one has the experience of using a DSP Z7 AV amp (or similar) in such a configuration, and if they can give a feedback of their experience. Any comments or advice regarding runing such a Pre /Power Amp configuration will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Peter

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I wonder if perhaps my post better belongs to "AV Receivers" sub forum rather then to the "Home Cinema" , and if so, how can I move it there instead?

Best regards

Peter

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I'm afraid I have no experience with the Z7 so can't comment on whether you can mix and match using pre/power channels. Is it possible to experiment with that even without the power amp? Ie switch to pre mode and try and use the internal amplification on the channels you need.

What I can say is the a30.5 is a storming amp, if you can get it for a good price you will be delighted. It has effortless power on tap :)

Cheers,

Ben

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your response, great to hear from someone that has the A30.5. I will certainly try and experiment as per your suggestion, switching the Z7 to Pre Amp mode and seeing if I can get the Surrounds to play out via the Z7.

If I may ask you Ben:

How have you set up yours? Are you Bi-Amping your fronts?

Does the A30.5 run hot during use. I have limited space and would either need to stack the Z7 directly on top or vice versa. I will for the most be playing at moderate to low levels

I was also wondering if there might be a tonal mismatch between the surrounds going direct from the Z7 and and the Front plus Center speakers though Primare?

Best regards

Peter

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
The Primare deal did not go through, so I have been looking for another Power Amp and have come across a second hand
Arcam DiVA P1000 7 channel Power Amp.
I would be grateful to receive any feedback(positive or negative) from those that have owned the Arcam DiVA P1000.

Or any other recoomendations for a Power Amp? I am looking to buy used, and occasionally come across Rotel and NAD Multichannel Power amps on advertisement.

Best regards

Peter

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Peterkins said:
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your response, great to hear from someone that has the A30.5. I will certainly try and experiment as per your suggestion, switching the Z7 to Pre Amp mode and seeing if I can get the Surrounds to play out via the Z7.

If I may ask you Ben:

How have you set up yours? Are you Bi-Amping your fronts?

Does the A30.5 run hot during use. I have limited space and would either need to stack the Z7 directly on top or vice versa. I will for the most be playing at moderate to low levels

I was also wondering if there might be a tonal mismatch between the surrounds going direct from the Z7 and and the Front plus Center speakers though Primare?

Best regards

Peter

I'm very sorry not to have replied to this message, I did not see it at the time. FWIW there is an A30.5 on ebay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primare-A30-5-mk2-titanium-RRP-2500-/140714554141?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20c33db31d#ht_555wt_1270

It is being sold by Audiologica, who I have dealt with before (I think it's Richard, tho it's been a while) and you might be able to get it for less than the eBay price.

I'm not bi-amping the fronts at the moment, although I really should be. If getting rears remains some way off then I will be doing this.

The A30.5 runs remarkably cool - see the link in my sig for how I have mine set up. I'm still not sure I'd be took keen to stack amps on top of each other tho.

There will inevitably be some tonal mismatch between front & centre v rears due to the different amplification. Unless you're particularly sensitive to that sort of thing I don't think it would be disastrous; many people have entirely different speakers for rears. The yamaha sound is also not a million miles from the primare sound.

Good luck with whichever amp you end up getting, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Ben

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Peter, here are my thoughts (some of which are conjecture).

IMO. The P1000 is a good (rather than great) sounding power amp, and I don't think it's a big enough upgrade over the Z7 (it's a bit better than the Arcam AVR 350 that I used to own). On the Arcam front you really need to be looking at the P7 (or better still the P777).

In this case I agree with Ben....you would be better going with the Primare, which should be a worthwhile step up, though I haven't heard one. It will though be a different presentation to the Yamaha.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, In my opinion the amps color the sound more than we want but some call it the character. Well, from what I have heard Arcam is +1 on warm, Denon is +0.5 on Warm. Yamaha is -0.5 (bright) and Primare is -1.5 and to me Pioneer is almost at -3

Again this is my pereception. So when you try to mix the Z7 sound with Primare or for that matter Arcam (P7 I have and I love it), the results are some what mixed up and it could be the right mix for you!

If it is Arcam, then look out for P7 (as it is more budget friendly) I trust cno's view on P777, if your budget permits. But at that price point, I would look out for a Classe CA ;)

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Many thanks Ben, CnoEvil and WisheTree for your valuable comments.

Sounds like the Primare is the one to go for. Quite an impressive set up you have there Ben.

I have had a look at the Primare on e-bay and it is slightly beyond my budget, which I had set to around 10 000 Swedish Crowns (about £ 890). I see it is a Mark2. The one I had a chance of buying was not a Mark 2, not really sure what the difference is.

Best regards Peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts