Adding a P38

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

I think I'd want to compare the PC to a DS before making that journey. It's going to have to go some to be worth that much expense over using a "free" PC, given how impressive I have got my PC to sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I think I'd want to compare the PC to a DS before making that journey. It's going to have to go some to be worth that much expense over using a "free" PC, given how impressive I have got my PC to sound.

Sounds sensible to me.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there still scope for a change of amplification (even if that is after source is addressed)? Might there be something which gives you the elements you like in both the Arcam and the Roksan?

SteveR750

Always scope for a change at some later date.

I quite like the idea of an m6i and nearly bought one off the bay before doing the sensible thing and demoing the M2, 8xpd and XS. I think Cno is right though, the next are to look at is probably the source, good though the dacmagic plus is, it's probably a bit out of its depth (see what I did there).

Right now I am really enjoying just listening to a random playlist, some new songs tyhat I've not played before and some very familar ones and all sounding fantastic musically. I just can't quite decide whic filter to set the DAC to, I think I prefer LIN1 which gives a slightly glassier sound maybe but the imagery and "focus" is just that bits sharper. I'm not going to make any more changes though for at least a couple of months, even if I wanted do / could afford to because the D18s are clearly not fully run in. I was listening to Achtung Baby earlier, and there was a depth and slam to one of the tracks that I have never experienced before. This is where the M2 excels I think, it has massive amounts of sonic grunt which are great for rock / pop. I suspect finding something super smooth with the same amount of fizz and energy is going to cost a fair bit more.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I suspect finding something super smooth with the same amount of fizz and energy is going to cost a fair bit more.

This is where I totally agree. I have usually found that you have to double the cost to get a meaningful gain.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Glad to see you are loving your Caspian again, I still love mine and think is a great amp for the price, was a recent group test with the A38 and Caspian in another hifi mag this month if you are curious on their findings, worth a little look.

I will be looking for a DAC for my system soon, have a dacmagic on one of my other set ups but looking for something better to go into the Caspian, was wondering if you heard the MF M1 ?

Have fun

SteveR750

Shanka said:
Hi Steve, Glad to see you are loving your Caspian again, I still love mine and think is a great amp for the price, was a recent group test with the A38 and Caspian in another hifi mag this month if you are curious on their findings, worth a little look. I will be looking for a DAC for my system soon, have a dacmagic on one of my other set ups but looking for something better to go into the Caspian, was wondering if you heard the MF M1 ? Have fun

Thanks Shanka. Which mag was it, or better still what was their view (as I doubt I'd buy said mag anyway).

I'm afraid that when it comes to DAC I have been extremely unscientific. I bought the dacmagic on im pulse when I set my PC up, so it was one part of many changes (for a net improvement). I have since heard the peach and the QBD76 using same PC source, Kandy K2 (and M2) and the MA GX300 speakers which are nothing like the ProAcs. I have to say, I didn't realise that the pach was a £900 DAC, which might give you a clue as to what I thought of it, but the QBD76 was out of this world, and made a bigger difference with the K2 in place than replacing the K2 with a pre 8x / 2 x mono x setup (with the peach dac)

What is told me is that a good DAC has a big influence, but I'm not sure that there that much difference in the price range of up to say £750. I could be completely wrong, as it is only a hunch! I have just bought the dacmagic plus, so don't want to change it quote so soon, plus it has a headphone amp, which the M2 doesn't of course.

Happy Hunting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts