Rega Elex R

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I purchased this amp just after Christmas and have now reached the 150 hours of use. I just thought I would feedback my impressions. This amp replaced an Audiolab Lx and 8000p power which were bi amping my Celestion A1's. This Audiolab setup was in place well over 7 years.

First impressions on setting the Rega up were that it beat the Brio R which I had tried earlier. The bass was far more substantial and the overall scale and clout a lot better. Detail was on par with the Brio R and better than the Audiolabs. The small problem I did encounter was on certain mainstream pop discs where the amp could sound a tad bright.

The reason I am writing this is that as the 150 hour point has just about been reached I am finding the amp absolutely lovely and full sounding. The vocals and instruments have attained a much fuller and rounder sound. The soundstage has also blossomed and feels far deeper than at anything previous. On listening to material which I love and have had for sometime it just sounds so much more real. I know they will be those who doubt what I am saying but I am certain that the sound has more flesh to the bones. Really enjoyable with plenty of drive. Love it.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried one for about month. Very nice amp. Did so many things right. Lovely phono stage. However, It didn't mesh well with my Proac speakers so I had to return it. I had a brightness problem in the lower treble and upper midrange area. I miss that amp though for all the good things it did. If I sell my speakers and buy a different brand then I might try the Elex R again.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
As I stated myself, on certain mainstream pop discs there is a tendency to brightness. It was due to this I had doubts as to whether I would keep it. This was way at the beginning. Really glad I stuck with it now.

I have found the amp to become fuller sounding the more hours I have used it. This does help somewhat offset the slight brightness issue. As 95% of the material I have sounds superb I am willing to forgive the odd recording which tends in that direction.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
yani said:
As I stated myself, on certain mainstream pop discs there is a tendency to brightness. It was due to this I had doubts as to whether I would keep it. This was way at the beginning. Really glad I stuck with it now.

I have found the amp to become fuller sounding the more hours I have used it. This does help somewhat offset the slight brightness issue. As 95% of the material I have sounds superb I am willing to forgive the odd recording which tends in that direction.

Is that the amp. changing or your ears/brain adjusting to the sound?

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Is that the amp. changing or your ears/brain adjusting to the sound?

That is always the question. I believe it possibly could be a bit of both. When you change anything it usually takes time for you to adjust to the new sound. Possibly I have adjusted and the amp is also performing as it's designer intended with having the 150 hours of play.

Anyway all I can say is that I am very happy with all I am hearing. When you find it difficult to stop listening and just want one more track it's usually a sign that all's well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts