Salutations... and a cry for help!

rothlee

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Like some others in this area, I am new to the site and also new to the world of hi-fi (beyond the plugging in of an all-in-one system at least).

I am in the process of putting together my first hi fi, which currently consists of the following:

Denon CD player (DCD520AE)

Denon Amplifier (PMA720AE)

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers (2 of)

wired with:

2 x 2.5mm multistrand 432 loudspeaker cable, 14 AWG

Further down the line, I will be adding a subwoofer (more than likely a Wharfedale Diamond 10MX), but due to the size of the room, I won't be adding another pair of speakers.

My knowledge of all things to do with sonics, wiring, ohms, impedence etc is limited, to put it VERY mildly, but I do need to put my mind at ease on the minefield that appears to be bi-amping.

I have read a little about bi-wiring and bi-amping, and due to the technical nature of the advice and the conflicting opinions on what each can achieve, I'm struggling. I currently have the speakers wired in to the amplifier using the bottom row of the amp (row A, as shown here: http://www.audiogamma.it/caricamenti/gallery_prodotti/PMA-720ae_01.jpg ) going to the bottom two connections on the speakers (shown here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PKmYMl2R69Q/TgchD07NDMI/AAAAAAAAAcc/FQZbIunSvDA/s1600/rsz_speakers_003.jpg ), red to red, black to black.

Knowing that I won't be using the top set of speaker-outs on the amp (row B) for a second pair of speakers, would I see a benfit to using that row to connect to the top pair of connections on the speakers? Is this bi-amping (as I understand from one source which suggests a second 'channel' used to one speaker is to 'bi-amp') or am I bi-wiring if I do this?

I have the speaker cable, so there is no additional cost as such, but I don't want to risk any damage to the equipment, not mess around for the sake of no difference.

Can anyone here please help me? Sorry this is long winded, I've just read so much on this and without the slightest bit of technical knowledge it's VERY hard to understand what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Good clear pix???? Are u mad ? :)
Only an experiment will tell u if biamping is of benefit.
Golden rule. If you connect speakers to both speaker terminal sets ie using all 4 sockets, then u MUST remove the brass links first. Always keep polarity with + to + and - to -. Then your set of A amp outputs go to HF speaker terminals and set B to LF. Google will give a diagram.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Connecting the speakers to an amplifier that has basicaly two pairs of switched outputs is not the same as bi-amping, unless the amp is specically designed that way. I'm not sure if the Denon is designed like that, perhaps someone can confirm. If it's not, then what you propose is more akin to bi-wiring.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I concur Major. Although my advice is still valid you are clearly correct. To biamp requires 4 discrete amps which is unlikely with an amp at this level. Safer and easier then I would suggest would be to biwire from a single pair of output terminals. Sorry to mislead somewhat.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Id be inclined to keep it simple to start with and stick with single wiring. It works better than biwiring in some systems anyway, mine included, although some would say otherwise as its down to personal preferences. Live with your new/ nice system for a while before deciding whether it needs further work.

rothlee

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Going on experiences of other forums, it's refreshing to see a "newbie" given the time of day, let alone some proper advice.

I will try the bi-wiring before positioning everything (hiding wires, getting speakers in optimum position etc), and if I'm unable to detect any significant difference to sound, I'll leave the spare channels for now and look at other options in future (should I need to do so).

Thanks again.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
rothlee said:
it's refreshing to see a "newbie" given the time of day, let alone some proper advice.

Meh...we always welcome newbies. A HiFi forum which does not welcome new blood and new ideas will soon degenerate into an old-boys club with members who argue pointlessly and irreconcilably about monotonous subjects like cables, streamers, lossy file-formats and active speakers.

Ah.

:silenced: :grin:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
rothlee said:
it's refreshing to see a "newbie" given the time of day, let alone some proper advice.
Meh...we always welcome newbies. A HiFi forum which does not welcome new blood and new ideas will soon degenerate into an old-boys club with members who argue pointlessly and irreconcilably about monotonous subjects like cables, streamers, lossy file-formats and active speakers. Ah. :silenced: :grin:

Quite so, but that doesn't stop you[newbies] asking questions in those categories if you so wish. :read: :silenced:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts