Adding a DAC , Thoughts please

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I am looking at adding a DAC to my system I have an Arcamm CD73T cd player which I find a little clinical. My amps are Audiolab 8000a nd p mk2 bi amped with a paire of Monitor Audio BR5 speakers I am using QED Aniversary Bi wire cable with Airloc conectors and Chord Company interconects. I am after a warmer sound which I am currently not getting. I listen to a wide variety of music . My budget is around £250 . I am looking at the moment at the Dacmagic the new Beresford Bushmater and have seen an Arcam on offer at my local Sevenoaks for £249. What are your thoughts ?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
lewis hurlin said:
I am looking at adding a DAC to my system I have an Arcamm CD73T cd player which I find a little clinical. My amps are Audiolab 8000a nd p mk2 bi amped with a paire of Monitor Audio BR5 speakers I am using QED Aniversary Bi wire cable with Airloc conectors and Chord Company interconects. I am after a warmer sound which I am currently not getting. I listen to a wide variety of music . My budget is around £250 . I am looking at the moment at the Dacmagic the new Beresford Bushmater and have seen an Arcam on offer at my local Sevenoaks for £249. What are your thoughts ?
I would have thought the clinical sound of you system is more to do with your amplifiers. I can't see that £250 of DAC are going to bring the changes you are after, especially not the Dacmagic which IMO is harsh sounding anyway.

A

Anonymous

I have only just launched the Bushmaster so I would suggest that you have a read on the various forums what the first buyers report on its performance. I did design it to solve such thing as harsh digital sounding playback which you refer to as a clinical sound.

As far as price goes, £250 is more than enough. Don't get bulldozed into spending more than youi can afford until you have personally convinced yourself for the need to do so.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
StanleyB said:
I have only just launched the Bushmaster so I would suggest that you have a read on the various forums what the first buyers report on its performance. I did design it to solve such thing as harsh digital sounding playback which you refer to as a clinical sound.

As far as price goes, £250 is more than enough. Don't get bulldozed into spending more than youi can afford until you have personally convinced yourself for the need to do so.

Stanley, I still have an old Beresford TC7520* in it's box in the cupboard under the stairs. I stored it away when I 'de-cluttered'/downsized my old system. Not worth selling (too much faff, too little return) and can't really give it away. (No friends or colleagues or relatives would know what a DAC is, let alone know what to use it for.)

It was a most excellent little DAC whilst I needed it though. Thanks.

It's part of my little 'unsaleable hi-fi bits' museum under the stairs. (Mint condition Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition speakers, Partington Trophy stands, your DAC, a couple of old Roberts radios, a couple of Ortofon and Rega cartridges and a sack of cables!)

*Fitted with LM4562NA chips.

A

Anonymous

The TC-7520 is still fetching £80 or more on fleebay. With loads of mods floating about a lot of people are buying it 2nd hand and then contacting me for advise on mods. So don't let it go to waste.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
StanleyB said:
The TC-7520 is still fetching £80 or more on fleebay. With loads of mods floating about a lot of people are buying it 2nd hand and then contacting me for advise on mods. So don't let it go to waste.

Subtract ebay fees, Paypal fees, outer packaging/bubble wrap, time spent photographing it from every angle, taking a hit on insured postage (I don't pass on the cost of insurance because it's for my benefit), the time spent answering/deleting 106 queries from Portugal and requests to listen to it before payment etc etc.

No thanks. I'd probably just about break even.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts