Accuracy or personal preference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Heard via Airfoil > AE > DAC...

The 1st sounds 'studio in New Orleans-ish'
smiley-cool.gif

The 2nd sounds more 'acoustic' and 'church hall-ish'
smiley-innocent.gif

Like 'em both :)

Assume the 1st has been tweaked?
smiley-undecided.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
2 is the original

But 1 has a more commercial tone.

Except for the verb which for some reason is almost completely out of fashion now especially on close-miked male vox.

John Duncan said:
i asked this question in another thread but it's being subsumed into another interesting debate so am separating it out.

Here are two versions of the same snippet of recording that I did the other day (warning - may contain me). One has no EQ (and is therefore 'accurate'), the other has been EQ'd to a point where I thought the vocal sounded 'better'. Both have a modicum of compression and reverb and they have been normalised for volume as best I can.

http://www.getwaxed.co.uk/one.mp3

http://www.getwaxed.co.uk/two.mp3

1) Can you tell me which is the original and which is the EQ'd version?

2) Can you tell me which one you think sounds 'better'?

There are no prizes...

John, do you have a non-MP3 version? tried to download and it just screws up my PC.

Cheers.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
One is the doctored one and, slightly, my favourite.

However, I do think there are a couple of different questions on this, as Chebby point out...Now to those other threads...have they dropped to page 28 yet?

EDIT GAH!!! I dunno now, but I'll let my answer stand as if I change it once ill change it a thousand times.

A

Anonymous

If reverb and compression are the same either could be the original as we don't know what you started with. You've either cut some highs in number 2 or boosted them in number 1.

Number 2 sounds "nicer" but the first might cut through a mix better. It all depends on the rest of the track as to which would work best though.

A

Anonymous

That was a poor sentence.apologies.basically we can't say which was the original as the original recording could have been either trebley or bassey.

1st recording has way more highs.have they been boosted?

2nd recording sounds smoother with less highs.have they been cut?

Obviously you may have eq'd more but that's just an example.

Either could be the case.depending on equipment,room, your voice etc there is no way of saying which one is the original.

Does that make any more sense?

A

Anonymous

I think 1 is the tweeked version and 2 is the original, my preference was 1.

John Duncan

Have done a quick count.

Of those who made a choice, 7 out 17 said that number 1 was the original and number 2 was EQ'd, and 10 out of 17 the converse.

Of those (hep) cats who expressed a preference, 8 out of 12 preferred number 1, whilst 4 preferred number 2.

And I can now reveal...

John Duncan

al7478 said:
When you say "now", do you mean this time next week?

No, I mean after the break, which you just provided.

1 was the original, 2 had a couple of fairly steep mid-range boosts (and a tiny bit of very high treble boost, but I think that was an accident):

eq-1.jpg

So this conclusively proves that...actually, what was the question again?

TRENDING THREADS