Access Denied | whathifi.com

Fulmer

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I know that this has popped up elsewhere on the site at different times in difference places, however I cannot find a satisfactory answer to the problem so I am posting a new topic here since it is "site related" and cropped up about the time the site had it's redesign I think.

For the last couple of months, I have been having sporadic problems on my Mac accessing the site and it is incredibly frustrating. Today for instance, I loaded the following:

Home page (www.whathifi.com) - successful
Awards page (www.whathifi.com/awards) - successful
2011 Winners (www.whathifi.com/awards/2011) - successful
Cables & Accessories - Access Denined

Ironically, earlier in the day I had been able to go in to the Cables & Accessories section and received the access denied message when I tried to click the Custom Design FS104s I received the error.

I have tried the site from my Windows PC at work and everything is fine so it appears to be a uniquely MacOS problem but the same thing is happening on two different Macs and my iPad. Ironically, I am typing this from my MacBook Air using IE8 in a windows partition and it's fine but I cannot access the forums via Safari on the same MacBook Air (so it is clearly not related to my internet connection or network settings). I have tried resetting Safari, clearing the cache, turning off all the privacy settings, etc but nothing works. Ditto for Firefox. I'm running MacOS 10.7.4 if the CMS geeks are interested.

I would appreciate some help, using the site under Windows on my Mac is like playing 180gsm new vinyl on a Ion turntable through my Roksan amp... :-(

John Duncan

Hmm, can't see anything particularly odd about those pages in terms of permisisons or your user permissions that would indicate there should be a problem.

I wonder whether our spam filter is trying to stop you for some reason though; I've changed your settings to 'trusted user', which is the only thing I can immediately spot that could possibly make a difference - can you try it now and see if it makes a difference? Otherwise it's back to the geeks...

Oh, one last thing - does being logged in or out make any difference?

Fulmer

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi John.

Just tried the same flow again and was blocked at the same place (cables and accessories).

Tried to log in from the home page clicking the link in the upper right hand corner and get Access Denied.

Ironically, I just tried to read the "About the New Site" tread on the Forum from Safari on the Mac and get Access Denied so reply to this on the IE8 Windows partition...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have tried the pages giving you probs on Safari, Chrome and Aurora on a MacBook Pro, both logged-in with a 'normal' (ie not admin) user account and logged out, and in all cases all pages seem to work fine. Very curious...

John Duncan

Very odd. Let me mail you to take this offline, I could probably do with having your IP address to make sure it's not blocked in any way (though initial indications suggest not).

cheers

JD

EDIT - mail sent to registered email address

Fulmer

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate you checking. I thought it might be something in Safari, but I have no extensions, cleared all data and cookies then reset Safari back to it's defaults and still no dice.

John - email replied to.

Fulmer

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
All sorted now, turns out to have been an IP issue.

Thanks to John for the rapid problem solving - it's nice to be back again! :-D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts